Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Tactics (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/15-40k-tactics/)
-   -   The Killa Kan Wall (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-tactics/65506-killa-kan-wall.html)

shampawnya 06-30-10 05:51 AM

The Killa Kan Wall

Okay... looking for a little help with a tactic that has myself and 2 others stumped on how to get around it...

The player in question is an ork player and stacks 2 units of boyz behind a wall of killa kans with a big mek with kustom force field in the center (see diagram)

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/x.../mikeswall.gif

I've used my Blood Angels, and the two others have attempted Necron and 'Nids against this tactic and we just can't figure out how to crack this nut...

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated

Iron Angel 06-30-10 06:04 AM

I'll need some info on the Kans, specifically, what are they equipped with?

The Mek looks like he's not formally attached to any other unit; Is this the case?

What points limit are you at?

shampawnya 06-30-10 06:14 AM

Pretty much all have close combat weapons and rokkits... all pretty much armor 11. The big mek, hangs out in between the 2 units of boys and I'm pretty sure he doesn't group them together. We have been playing with roughly 1000-1300 points...

Kirby 06-30-10 06:16 AM

Shoot the Kanz and lol at the Boyz (the Mek has to be attached to one of them btw Iron Angel as it's within 2" of a squad). Tyranids and Necrons use medium strength weight of fire from Destroyers/Heavy Ds/Hive Guard and you'll disable to the lead aspect. Blood Angels can deep strike behind if using Jumpers, use their speed and keep up shots until wall collapses if mech, bring in melta close behind a bubble wrap if Blood Rodeo, etc. There are tons of options but you need to disable the first layer and this is done through weight of fire due to 4+ cover. Once the Kanz are disabled through immob+ then the Boyz have to go through the wrecks or around and the wall tactic has failed.

Iron Angel 06-30-10 07:00 AM

What if he's not though? Just saying. If he's not within 2 inches of either one, and thus not in a unit, you can pick him off to remove that pesky KFF save.

Pretty much just shoot the Kans. Kirby hit it on the head here, but the KFF will be a pain in the ass no matter what.

Ravingbantha 06-30-10 08:42 AM

Hit him with a vindicare Assassin, then pile on the templates

Yousei 06-30-10 08:56 AM

You've got about 2 turns worth of shooting (3 if you're clever with your squads), before you need to worry much about being charged.

Just shoot the kans with everything that *can* hurt them, and whichever boyz squad the meks attached to at the time with whatever cant hurt them. remember necron gauss rule of auto-glancing on a 6 to hit... They can really bring the hurt to the Kans, since they only really need to be immobilized before you move on to the next. A stun is as good, basically anything that stops them moving. At some point, he'll need to move the boyz out in front of the wall, just focus everything on one boyz squad to bring them down. (Stick to the rule of kill a squad, then move on)

With my tyranids, i more or less employed this tactic - though i wound up killing the boyz squads off with biovores, then watching whatever was left assault me and more or less get slaughtered. Key to survival is killing the kans though. Key to winning the game (assuming objectives) is killing the boyz without losing much.

rattler25 06-30-10 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shampawnya (Post 665880)
Okay... looking for a little help with a tactic that has myself and 2 others stumped on how to get around it...

The player in question is an ork player and stacks 2 units of boyz behind a wall of killa kans with a big mek with kustom force field in the center (see diagram)

I've used my Blood Angels, and the two others have attempted Necron and 'Nids against this tactic and we just can't figure out how to crack this nut...

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated

Ok as Necrons I would use the Deciver on one squad of Kans and dump the what fire (momolith/destroyers) i can into the other unit. I know it dose not help munch but at 1,000 to 1,300 points necrons are verry limited in what they can do at that point range.

As IG i would pie plate the orcs nonstop and when they finaly get close run up and melta the Kans to death cover save or not.

In the end you may find that you can't beat thsi list with what you want to play atthis point level, it sucks but its life. Try to go up to 1,500 or 2,000 points and see if you still have the same problems.

best of luck.

Someguy 06-30-10 11:17 AM

That's a properly nasty ork set up. Some options do exist but not all that many.

If you are fast enough and powerful enough, you may be able to just assault them. Kanz aren't unbeatable in cc and quite a lot of things can beat orks. If you could get death company into the orks and TH termies into the Kanz, you would do ok.

Altarnatively, a lot of missiles. Krak to knock the kanz over and then either switch to frag for the orks or assault them. That's fairly risky though, as with bad rolls the kanz can walk through a ton of fire.

In either case mobility will help. Trouble is, with all those rockets the orks can threaten rhinos and land speeders quite a lot.

geenareeno 06-30-10 10:12 PM

Deepstriking behind them is a great option. Assault the boyz from behind, that's the treasure. Alternatively get some of those lob weapons to shoot over the kanz. Unit's that can move in on any board edge would be good here. The mek is really important too take out but you probably already figured that out. 1/3 of your fire won't hit the kanz. You could try to kill his kanz with dreads too.