Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/29-off-topic/)
-   -   Racism: Do you experience it? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/off-topic/62726-racism-do-you-experience.html)

Emet, Paladin of Truth 06-09-10 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 650312)
People are stupid. They are idiots, really. They are so dumb that they do not deserve your hate, they can't help it. It's not their fault if they are so stupid, they are merely victims. You should help them however you can and feel good about it without expecting any kind of positive reinforcement on their part, it will make your world even slightly bette. Otherwise, you will be miserable for nothing. And people are not good enough to deserve that you suffer.

This, my friend, is a misanthropic argument for philanthropy. Or, if you will, a misanthropic argument against misanthropy.

There you go.

the highlighted part uses philanthropic reasoning ie: "they can't help it" implies value. a true misanthrope would not imply value "they can help it, the're just too WRAPPED UP IN THIER OWN SHITFUCKERY! to do so" (angry marines! >:C).

Jack Jack 06-10-10 12:56 AM

I think it still is a credible argument. I think a misanthrope could "fit" this kind of reasoning in the way he view the world. Maybe it would not stop him from hating people, but it would make him feel bad about it, ever so slightly. Therefore, he is a misanthrope- he hates all people- but he knows it's wrong.

Now if you tell me that a misanthrope necessarily thinks hating people is okay, then we are not talking about the same thing. If you are telling me a true misanthrope is okay about hating people, then I may think you are moving the goalpost, using the "true Scottman" argument.

Emet, Paladin of Truth 06-10-10 06:33 PM

mmm. I don't think so.

if he's really a misanthrope, he can only argue from a misanthropic stance, otherwise he wouldn't be a misanthrope.

again, using religion as an example, it would be like a jew argueing for a christian idea based on a hindu idea.

you I'm asking you to make a argue for a christian Idea based on a jewish idea- to argue for philanthropy based on misanthropy. really, you argued for philanthropy based on philanthropy

once you trim your arguement's fat and but it into form (taking out what you said that did not contribute to your arguement) you have:

1) It's not their(people's) fault if they are so stupid, they are merely victims. (philanthropic stance)

therefore:

2) You should help them(people) however you can and feel good about it without expecting any kind of positive reinforcement on their part, (philanthropic conclusion)

because

3) it will make your world even slightly better. (philanthropic stance)

4) Otherwise, you will be miserable for nothing. (philanthropic stance)

so you have a philanthropic arguement for philanthropy, not the misanthropic arguement for philanthropy you set out to make

Jack Jack 06-10-10 07:11 PM

I really think a philanthrope would not think of people as a stupid bunch.

I also said that it was a good idea to make the world a better place... for pretty much the same reason you clean your own house : living among garbage ain't fun. And that was the reason you are supposed to help people : because you are living among garbage.

I... really don't think it's a philanthropic argument : you don't love garbage, now do you?

bane-of-banes 09-09-10 07:43 PM

Edited by Morfangdakka Making stupid racist slang comments.

Putch. 09-16-10 02:04 AM

Well, I have a black Uncle, and quite a few friends of varying creeds and races, and yes I have experianced rascism, I have experianced rasicm for being white. All in all I agree with the first couple of posters, its ok within friends and where there is a line people dont cross. But in general I think rascists deserve a swift donkey kick in the nuts.

Emet, Paladin of Truth 09-26-10 10:59 AM

I gotta share this: my profile pic. on facebook is the same as my avatar- anonymous.

so, I'm playing poker, and this guy from Louisiana comes in and starts being a douche.

so I reprimand him, along with another.

so he calls her asian, and me... mexican?

and I'm like mexican!? where the hell did you get that? I'm not mexican! I'm about as far away from mexican as you can get!

Davidicus 40k 10-05-10 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Putch. (Post 730383)
Well, I have a black Uncle, and quite a few friends of varying creeds and races, and yes I have experianced rascism, I have experianced rasicm for being white. All in all I agree with the first couple of posters, its ok within friends and where there is a line people dont cross. But in general I think rascists deserve a swift donkey kick in the nuts.

"Racists" who oppose Obama, you mean? Or racists who think their race is better than another? Racism is a loaded word, no one wants to be associated with it, which gives the bleeding heart liberals a green light to throw it towards anyone they don't like.

loyalist42 10-05-10 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidicus 40k (Post 748029)
"Racists" who oppose Obama, you mean? Or racists who think their race is better than another? Racism is a loaded word, no one wants to be associated with it, which gives the bleeding heart liberals a green light to throw it towards anyone they don't like.

What, you mean like 'liberal' has become a dirty word conservatives throw out to describe anyone they don't like, regardless of that person's actual political ideology? Or even 'Obama', for that matter. Why even bring that up? Not even Democrats take that stance anything like seriously.

Davidicus 40k 10-05-10 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loyalist42 (Post 748040)
What, you mean like 'liberal' has become a dirty word conservatives throw out to describe anyone they don't like, regardless of that person's actual political ideology? Or even 'Obama', for that matter. Why even bring that up? Not even Democrats take that stance anything like seriously.

No, Conservatives use communist/socialist. Liberal is a political ideology. Don't you remember when Obama was running? If you opposed him, you were a racist in some people's eyes. I don't think they were the majority, because if they were that'd be extremely sad, but it highlights the ridiculousness surrounding the topic of racism. I think most people have lost sight of its true meaning and some use it far too... liberally. For instance, confusing stereotypes with racism.

"All black people play basketball!"
"Wh... what? No they don't! You're racist!"

Except that's not racism. If it was something like "All black people steal", and the person saying it implied that his/her race didn't steal, then it would be. Or like the OP's example. He just randomly said "you're black." How is that racist? It's a fact. Depending on his friend, it could be considered insensitive - fine - but it's not racist. They had chicken and waffles afterwards (a damn good meal if you ask me) so it seems like his black (OOPS! African American!) friend wasn't too offended.

Catpain Rich 10-05-10 07:06 PM

Saying all black people play basketball is racist. Incidentally so is saying that all black people have massive cocks. In each you're making massive generalisations of a group of people due to the colour of their skin (ie being racist). Being stereotypical about race is racist.

That is if you're doing it for racist reasons.

loyalist42 10-05-10 07:08 PM

Conservatives use socialist more often these days, sure. But perhaps their greatest coup over the last decade has been vilifying the word 'liberal'. I see it everywhere from Fox News to political campaign ads. And it gets thrown around ridiculously often, frequently when describing someone who would not classify him/herself as a liberal.

I'll agree the term 'racist' is overused today, but not nearly to the extent many conservative commentators would have you believe. And to be honest, the people that do overuse the term are making themselves no friends on either side of the fence.

But by the same token, many people use objection to political correctness more or less as cover to express their own racist stances. There is a difference there, but try telling that to the person in question and your argument is dismissed out of hand. Go figure.

Lord Sven Kittyclaw 10-05-10 07:19 PM

I have found that so so so many people love to play the race card, I have seen people get found with illegal substances, and weapons by the police, and say "its because im___ (Insert persons origins or race here) Its fucking idiotic. Your the racest if your pulling race. Not the person busting you for being a dumbass.

Davidicus 40k 10-05-10 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catpain Rich (Post 748076)
Saying all black people play basketball is racist. Incidentally so is saying that all black people have massive cocks. In each you're making massive generalisations of a group of people due to the colour of their skin (ie being racist). Being stereotypical about race is racist.

That is if you're doing it for racist reasons.

Like I said, that generalization could be considered inconsiderate if the black (OH NO! African American*) friend was offended. But it's not racist.

Discriminating by race = racism (you're black, you can't come in here). Though of course private institutions can allow whoever they want, and I defend that right.
Saying one race is inherently better than another = racism. This is the purest definition.
Stereotyping based on race = not racism. It's just a stereotype.

That's how I see it, anyways. Unfortunately, it's not how most people see it, which leads to the gross misuse of the term by some people (in my opinion). It's not the majority, which I'm thankful for, but I still get annoyed when I see it happen. Note that I count people who try to inappropriately use their race as a shield in this group (like Sven Kittyclaw's example above). "He busted me because I'm Mexican, not because I had crack in my car!"

I don't know how to multi-quote messages, but loyalist, I agree "liberal" may have become a synonym for "money-sucking, rights-stealing hippie pig", but aren't Conservatives "gun-loving, Bible-thumping rednecks?" I'm sure you know it goes both ways. As for people abusing racism, I'm glad it's not to the extent Conservative commentators would have me believe because if it was, I'd move somewhere else.

Political correctness as a whole can get out of hand as well, not just when dealing with racism, but discrimination in general. The whole subject is vague and largely dependent on an individual's feelings, so trying to combat it without going overboard is very hard. The best advice we can give is think about what you say and try to take other peoples' feelings into account. When we start trying to enforce laws, things can get sticky.

Lord Sven Kittyclaw 10-05-10 07:27 PM

I agree with Davidicus, saying that (For example) All white people listen to metal would be rascist, because your generalising white people. But to say the majority of people who listen to metal are white, isnt a generalisation, or rascist. Its a fact.

loyalist42 10-05-10 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Sven Kittyclaw (Post 748095)
I have found that so so so many people love to play the race card, I have seen people get found with illegal substances, and weapons by the police, and say "its because im___ (Insert persons origins or race here) Its fucking idiotic. Your the racest if your pulling race. Not the person busting you for being a dumbass.


Yeah, I'll agree when it happens, it's completely idiotic. But then again, the people who use the term 'racist' in that manner are dumbasses to begin with. Particularly when a police officer actually is being racist, and the victim gets jumped on as soon as s/he goes public.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidicus 40k (Post 748101)
I don't know how to multi-quote messages, but loyalist, I agree "liberal" may have become a synonym for "money-sucking, rights-stealing hippie pig", but aren't Conservatives "gun-loving, Bible-thumping rednecks?" I'm sure you know it goes both ways.


I'd love to agree that 'Conservative' has become at least as loaded a word as 'liberal', but I just don't see that. Which to my mind is likely the largest indication that the 'liberal mainstream media' trope is complete bullshit, but there you are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidicus 40k
The best advice we can give is think about what you say and try to take other peoples' feelings into account. When we start trying to enforce laws, things can get sticky.

I can definitely agree with that.

Davidicus 40k 10-05-10 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Sven Kittyclaw (Post 748106)
I agree with Davidicus, saying that (For example) All white people listen to metal would be rascist, because your generalising white people. But to say the majority of people who listen to metal are white, isnt a generalisation, or rascist. Its a fact.

Is listening to metal a bad thing? Then I see it as a generalization/stereotype, not racism. If metal was Devil's music and rap was God's poetry, and a black (AFRICAN AMERICAN!) man said all white people listen to metal, I could see how it might be considered racism (even in that case, I'd be skeptical). And it is a fact that plenty of white people listen to metal. What if we say "Mexicans do menial jobs?" It's a fact, and we don't seem to mind, but couldn't that be racist since it's implying that ALL Mexicans are landscapers/farmers/house cleaners? I say no, some (most?) people say yes.

Drawing a conclusion based on someone's skin color is not racism, in my opinion, unless that conclusion is negative and you apply it ONLY to people of that skin color. If I said "Black people steal... but so does every other race", it wouldn't be racism (to me). By now you realize I'm using a strict dictionary definition, because with something this emotionally charged, I believe you have to or else innocent people will get screwed over. But like I said, any sort of discrimination is hard to define in the first place, so we're just going around in circles. Which leads to exploitation.

Catpain Rich 10-05-10 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidicus 40k (Post 748124)
Is listening to metal a bad thing? Then I see it as a generalization/stereotype, not racism. If metal was Devil's music and rap was God's poetry, and a black (AFRICAN AMERICAN!) man said all white people listen to metal, I could see how it might be considered racism (even in that case, I'd be skeptical). And it is a fact that plenty of white people listen to metal. What if we say "Mexicans do menial jobs?" It's a fact, and we don't seem to mind, but couldn't that be racist since it's implying that ALL Mexicans are landscapers/farmers/house cleaners? I say no, some (most?) people say yes.

Drawing a conclusion based on someone's skin color is not racism, in my opinion, unless that conclusion is negative and you apply it ONLY to people of that skin color. If I said "Black people steal... but so does every other race", it wouldn't be racism (to me). By now you realize I'm using a strict dictionary definition, because with something this emotionally charged, I believe you have to or else innocent people will get screwed over. But like I said, any sort of discrimination is hard to define in the first place, so we're just going around in circles. Which leads to exploitation.

Not every black person is american.

Drawing any conclusion based on someone's skin colour (other than it is that colour) is racist surely. Beause you're distinguishing between people based on the colour of their skin.

Davidicus 40k 10-05-10 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catpain Rich (Post 748167)
Not every black person is american.

Drawing any conclusion based on someone's skin colour (other than it is that colour) is racist surely. Beause you're distinguishing between people based on the colour of their skin.

Distinguishing, not discriminating. That's where my line is. You can distinguish people by any number of features, skin color being only one of them. The most ill-advised one, as evidenced by responses like this. For your own sake, stay away from such generalizations, of course; but I don't think they're racist.

Varakir 10-05-10 08:56 PM

We sort of covered this at the start of the thread.

Words are just words. What matters is who is saying them, and why.

Emet, Paladin of Truth 10-05-10 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catpain Rich (Post 748167)
Not every black person is american.

Drawing any conclusion based on someone's skin colour (other than it is that colour) is racist surely. Beause you're distinguishing between people based on the colour of their skin.

what he means is, some things that are misunderstood as racist are actually not based off of race, rather culture.

in other words, it's like saying "all jews wear kippot" it's not necessarily correct either, but it's not based off of race, but culture.

so instead of "all black people play basketball" it's "all people who subscribe to 'black culture' play basketball"

note that these aren't necessarily correct either- some jews don't consider kippot necessary just as some black people (read: people who subscribe to "black culture") think basketball is stupid.

the point is- it's not based off of race

(BTW- "black culture" as used here is... well, black culture. soul plane, caddyshack, etc.)

Serpion5 10-06-10 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 649052)
While what you said is logically sufficient, it is not acceptable. You can be a misanthrope while acknowledging it is wrong. You can hate everyone, and yet still hate yourself for hating everyone.

So I am wrong for being a misanthrope and accepting that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 650312)
People are stupid. They are idiots, really. They are so dumb that they do not deserve your hate, they can't help it. It's not their fault if they are so stupid, they are merely victims. You should help them however you can and feel good about it without expecting any kind of positive reinforcement on their part, it will make your world even slightly bette. Otherwise, you will be miserable for nothing. And people are not good enough to deserve that you suffer.

This, my friend, is a misanthropic argument for philanthropy. Or, if you will, a misanthropic argument against misanthropy.

There you go.

You clearly don`t understand misanthropy. If you hate something, you generally wouldn`t aim to aid it would you? If you don`t (want to) understand that is fine, but please don`t think you can tell me how to believe what I do. Never do I act on my beliefs in the way a racist attacker would; if a stranger asked me for directions, I would help them. If someone needed a hand with something, I would help. Being a misanthrope does not mean I am some evil asshole out to destroy everyone`s fun, it is simply an outlook on mankind in general. I hate what we have become, what I think we are going to be. If I learned today that the species would be wiped out tomorrow, I would not shed a tear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Sven Kittyclaw (Post 748095)
I have found that so so so many people love to play the race card, I have seen people get found with illegal substances, and weapons by the police, and say "its because im___ (Insert persons origins or race here) Its fucking idiotic. Your the racest if your pulling race. Not the person busting you for being a dumbass.

I see this too often from all sides. Predominantly at the Shopping centre that houses my nearest GW store. People love to congregate here, as it`s one of the largest shopping centres in the southern hemisphere. Australia is a multiculturalist nation (worst idea ever) so arguments inevitably ensue.

Asians, Blacks, Lebanese, Whites, Indians, I have seen them all at one point or another. They have no reason to fight, they simply do out of hate.

On a happy note, there are people of several races at my work and in my circles of friends. We share joke with an indian fellow at work regarding the state of the venues at Delhi for the Commonwealth games. We always tread carefully around what he has built (we work in a kitchen factory) to "make sure it doesn`t collapse. One time we even wrote an elaborate "Caution: Fragile, Made by Indian" on the side of one of his cabinets in permanent marker. :laugh:

He laughed as hard as the rest of us because he knew it was a joke. He is actually one of the better assemblers in the factory. So is this considered racist? If it is simply a joke, and the affected person has no problem, is it still wrong?

On a similar note, one of the guys in our gaming circle is asian. Whenever a math related issue arises, we look to him as a joke and ask him the answer. Naturally, he doesn`t know, and we remark stuff like "You`re the worst asian ever," and as in my above example, he takes it in good humour, usually hitting back with a snide remark of his own. We of Irish descent are usually the easiest targets.

I am of English/Irish background. I am neither a tea drinking nancy nor a hard drinking wife beater.

I work a physically demanding job, and I don`t drink.

Racial stereotypes are bullshit, so I pay them no mind. It`s a shame more can`t do the same.

Vaz 10-07-10 01:27 PM


Jack Jack 10-07-10 03:35 PM

Why all the emphasis on racism?

I thought racism was the most easily debunked stereotype out there. I mean, the discrimination still exist, but isn't it "self evident" for everyone that racism is wrong?

Why can't we get over it?
Why can't we move on?

Aren't there more urgent issues necessiting our attention?
What is so singular with racism that the issue has to be treated alone?
Why not include sexism, agism, homophobia, xenophobia, etc. in the debates where we include racism?

Those are open questions...

Deux 10-07-10 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 750182)
but isn't it "self evident" for everyone that racism is wrong?

You'd be surprised. People have no problem using racism as a weapon and extorting it for self-gain off the people who do think it's wrong. It's really sad. :(

As for the main topic, I haven't experienced "racism" exactly, but I have experienced prejudice. I had two separate homophobic managers that fired me after finding out I was transgender. One of them went as far as calling me a faggot while I was holding an exacto blade in my hand... That was my first real experience with prejudice, and it was really interesting to experience after I had time to cool down.

ckcrawford 10-07-10 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deux (Post 750294)
You'd be surprised. People have no problem using racism as a weapon and extorting it for self-gain off the people who do think it's wrong. It's really sad. :(

I agree, most people who complain about racism are at least accepted by a race. The hardest group that I have seen face the full effects of racism are half breeds like myself. Not accepted by any race and often being stereotyped by both races. I think its more a problem for younger kids like most racism but its often quite sad.

My experience. Lived in South America for a while I was often referred to being white and Gringo got picked and beaten up for it. So I think I got the idea that I was actually white. So here I am going to the United States thinking I'm white, having a discussion with one of my friends that regard themselves as liberal and open minded about things. I fill out one of those college questionaires (one question about what race I am), my friend stops me before I fill out the bubble and says, your not white, your hispanic. I must confess that kind of hurt. And even my friends knowing my previous history would not regard me as being one of them. Not being accepted by any race sucks ass. I say fuck what other people say, be proud of what you are and where your from. If you let other people define you, thats exactly what they'll do, and most of the time they aren't even trying to hurt you. You got define yourself.

Serpion5 10-08-10 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckcrawford (Post 750322)
I agree, most people who complain about racism are at least accepted by a race. The hardest group that I have seen face the full effects of racism are half breeds like myself. Not accepted by any race and often being stereotyped by both races. I think its more a problem for younger kids like most racism but its often quite sad.

My experience. Lived in South America for a while I was often referred to being white and Gringo got picked and beaten up for it. So I think I got the idea that I was actually white. So here I am going to the United States thinking I'm white, having a discussion with one of my friends that regard themselves as liberal and open minded about things. I fill out one of those college questionaires (one question about what race I am), my friend stops me before I fill out the bubble and says, your not white, your hispanic. I must confess that kind of hurt. And even my friends knowing my previous history would not regard me as being one of them. Not being accepted by any race sucks ass. I say fuck what other people say, be proud of what you are and where your from. If you let other people define you, thats exactly what they'll do, and most of the time they aren't even trying to hurt you. You got define yourself.

:wild: Every respect I can give. You are a champion, Sir. :victory:

Stella Cadente 10-08-10 10:04 AM

I haven't experienced racism personally, but I admit to handing out my fair share when I'm working.

for example whenever there is an Indian wedding being put on where I work its nothing but a negative image on indians, all the weddings are fixed weddings, so a dumb woman too stupid to say no being forced on some ugly bloke, and all the people are extremely ignorant, you tell them not to go here or there they go there and here, you tell them what they can't do and they still do it, and they look and speak to you like your some shit on there boot.

or at various trade shows when we have stands handing out free items or samples, you'll see indians loading trolly bags full of items, taking them to there cars and coming back for more, so we banned large bags like that in the halls that the show is on in and they bitch and moan and complain at how unfair it is and everyone else has to suffer for there greed, we even had a whole famikly come in once with a disabled lady on a chair, and when they came out all the kids were carrying bags full of merchandise and the wheelchair was stacked with the stuff, and then the old lady struggles out carrying bags while barely walking with a stick.

you just can't help call them an ignorant disgusting people when you see that happen, I'm not saying all indians are like that, but when you see a minority do this all the time, it gives the Majority a really bad reputation.

the same with french, there just completely ignorant, there another bunch where if you tell them what to do they ignore you and think there superior to you, inside work I hate dealing with them, and outside work I want to hit the garlic sniffing surrender monkeys.

an example that stands out in my mind for them would be on a bus, 2 french guys sitting in the disabled area with about 6 large bags all over the floor not in the bag area, there bags kept falling over and hitting this one lady across from them, when she complained they acted like there the ones being disturbed by all this, so they move the one bag complaining in there stupid language and tutting, and when a lady in a wheelchair comes on again they complain and moan and tut when the driver has to tell them to move for the lady.

I can't stand them at all.

but I've seen brits just as bad, but you sort of expect it where i work because most of them are Jaguar driving suit wearing company executives who believe themselves superior to jesus, or just builder bum showing stand builders who don't know what work is and hate being told what to do.

give me a nice well mannered hard working polish guy any day of the week.

Daddysen 10-08-10 10:37 AM

you know what racism i have experienced GW's racism on Necrons, why do they hate them so much. :)

But one of the things that drives me crazy is all the racism in USA i mean statistically 98.5% of the people here dont come from here and yet you see and read about people yelling at other races to go back where they came from.

i would not be surprised to hear some dumb ass racist person tell a couple of Native Americans conversing in their own language to "Speak English your in America" or " why don't you go back to your own country" Thats just because i have yet to meet an intelligent person that believes in racist credos.


However on a possitive note. we are getting better i mean things are not as bad as 100 years ago and i believe they are getting better every year.

Emet, Paladin of Truth 10-08-10 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stella Cadente (Post 750912)
I haven't experienced racism personally, but I admit to handing out my fair share when I'm working.

for example whenever there is an Indian wedding being put on where I work its nothing but a negative image on indians, all the weddings are fixed weddings, so a dumb woman too stupid to say no being forced on some ugly bloke, and all the people are extremely ignorant, you tell them not to go here or there they go there and here, you tell them what they can't do and they still do it, and they look and speak to you like your some shit on there boot.

or at various trade shows when we have stands handing out free items or samples, you'll see indians loading trolly bags full of items, taking them to there cars and coming back for more, so we banned large bags like that in the halls that the show is on in and they bitch and moan and complain at how unfair it is and everyone else has to suffer for there greed, we even had a whole famikly come in once with a disabled lady on a chair, and when they came out all the kids were carrying bags full of merchandise and the wheelchair was stacked with the stuff, and then the old lady struggles out carrying bags while barely walking with a stick.

you just can't help call them an ignorant disgusting people when you see that happen, I'm not saying all indians are like that, but when you see a minority do this all the time, it gives the Majority a really bad reputation.

the same with french, there just completely ignorant, there another bunch where if you tell them what to do they ignore you and think there superior to you, inside work I hate dealing with them, and outside work I want to hit the garlic sniffing surrender monkeys.

an example that stands out in my mind for them would be on a bus, 2 french guys sitting in the disabled area with about 6 large bags all over the floor not in the bag area, there bags kept falling over and hitting this one lady across from them, when she complained they acted like there the ones being disturbed by all this, so they move the one bag complaining in there stupid language and tutting, and when a lady in a wheelchair comes on again they complain and moan and tut when the driver has to tell them to move for the lady.

I can't stand them at all.

but I've seen brits just as bad, but you sort of expect it where i work because most of them are Jaguar driving suit wearing company executives who believe themselves superior to jesus, or just builder bum showing stand builders who don't know what work is and hate being told what to do.

give me a nice well mannered hard working polish guy any day of the week.

this is exactly what I'm talking about- bolded parts are about culture rather than race- they say "people who buy into this culture suck" instead of "people who have this set of genes suck."

in other words, according to bolded, it doesn't matter if you're black, white, indian or whatever if you're riding an elephant at your wedding, you're a douche

===EDIT===
you know what? forget bolded, the entire post supports this

MidnightSun 10-08-10 05:56 PM

317 Attachment(s)
My problem is things expanding into malicious rumours when you didn't intend them to. For example, there's a black kid in my maths class who I don't like very much (He's a bit of an arse), so when my friend said 'Do you like *Kid X*' (Not mentioning names here) I said 'No, not really'. He said, Oh my God your a racist you don't like sitting next to black people. Now half the year group don't know my name, just know me as 'The Racist'. It pisses me off that people are so touchy about a subject they know very little on.

Midnight

Professor Pumpkin 11-01-10 06:00 PM

Retards don't know what racism is most of the time. Take this:

Kid 1: Not to be racist or anything, but you're not black you're kind of brown.

Yeah, as if I didn't notice that. To be classed as "non-white" do I have to paint myself dark black?

Lord Sven Kittyclaw 11-01-10 06:12 PM

sort of seems like you took that statement out of context. Had you been saying your black? because most people that are black, are in a literal sense, brown, in terms of skin tone at least.

Emet, Paladin of Truth 11-02-10 09:52 PM

some jackass on a political site was saying that the word Goyim was racist.

it is not, it's calling a spade a spade. I say "race X are all Y," that's racist. I say "all christians celebrate christmas" it's not.

I say "all mexicans are lazy" that's racist and wrong. I say "all mexicans are from mexico" that is not

I say "all christians are douchebags" that's racist and wrong. I say "all christians are not jews" that's not

goyim literally means "nations," and has the connontation of meaning "other nations" so yes, that's exactly what I'm doing when I say Goy, are you of the jewish nation? no. then you are of another nation- goy.

Aramoro 11-03-10 11:26 AM

Quote:

I say "all christians are douchebags" that's racist and wrong
Christians are not a race. You'll find that's sectarian not racist.

Aramoro

darklove 11-03-10 02:10 PM

Sometimes a religion is a race, sometimes not. In the case of Christianity it is certainly not a race.
It has being argued in the British courts that being Jewish does not mean someone is a Jew, that there is a distinction between the faith and the people. Even in Israel this seems to be a problem.

People are always going to find new ways of separating 'them' from 'us', something about the human brain and irrational fear.

Emet, Paladin of Truth 11-03-10 02:53 PM

"racist" here being used as synonomous with "bigoted"

Jack Jack 11-03-10 04:53 PM

I don't know what Bigoted means, but there is certainly no reason to discriminate between the various forms of us/them ideologies.

Emet, Paladin of Truth 11-03-10 05:47 PM

racist is being bigoted specifically towards race.

there is a need for suchh discrimination, otherwise terms like "christian" are meaningless.

in other words: an X (christian, jew, muslim, etc.) is defined as one who subscribes to Y ideology (christianity, judaism, islam, etc.) and profoms Z acts relatet to Y (celebrating Christmas, Hannukah, ramadan, etc.)

so, if we don't make the distinction "all X does Z" what good is classifying in terms of X?

Jack Jack 11-03-10 06:02 PM

Agreed, of course.


What I meant is, there is no need to discriminate between [racism] and [homophobia] for exemple.

Both these behavior use exactly the same cognitif processes and biases and are harmful for the same reason, just not to the same people. But as all people are equal in value, being harmful to Steve is exactly like being harmful to Janet.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:05 PM.

Powered by the Emperor of Man.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome