Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/29-off-topic/)
-   -   Racism: Do you experience it? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/off-topic/62726-racism-do-you-experience.html)

Chocobuncle 05-19-10 11:54 PM

Racism: Do you experience it?
 
So I was just chilling with my friend at the park while at a birthday party couple days ago. Hes black and Im mexican and since I was kinda bored since the party was pretty lame dude so I just said "Your black.". Then he started to tell me how much shit he deals and goes through everyday because hes black and I thought he was just joking.

Not even a minute later another friend came up to us and gave him a cookie because it the shape reminded her of africa. It had to be the funniest coincidence to ever happen and I just busted out laughing.

After the party we ate chicken and waffles at his house.

Good day

NoiseMarine 05-20-10 12:25 AM

Did you drink grape juice too?

The Wraithlord 05-20-10 01:05 AM

I work with a Jamaican dude who is the coolest mofo when it comes to that shit. In fact when something goes down at work like one person gets a fan replaced but he still has the same one as always you will never fail to hear the rest of us white assholes yelling out "it's because you're black", "what do expect them to do, help out a Jamaican", and "better hit that speed dial to Jesse man (Jackson for those unsure). Dude takes it like a champ and gives it back full on, laughing all the way. I have lost count of the number of times I have been called a cracker or some other ridiculous name by him lol. There is only one thing that is a no no with him and that is the word nigger which I can completely understand and I have to give the guy credit for coming out and letting us know that in advance.

Everything else goes though and I do mean everything, both ways. Hilarity always ensues.

It is too bad that so many people take this shit seriously, or honestly feel that a person of a different culture/background is inferior to them. I don't get it.






SIDE NOTE: Let's not let this devolve into a bitch fest ABOUT rasicm. That type of discussion belongs in the WNCE forum more than here but I am willing to let it go for a decent discussion so long as we all keep our cool. I will NOT tolerate flame posts in this thread, period. It will be an immediate infraction/ban to anyone breaking this condition. You are warned.

deathbringer 05-20-10 01:15 AM

That is exactly as it is in india. I lived there for two years and they give it and take it just as good. Thats the best thing about casual racism, if it goes both ways then its funny but if someone takes offense then it becomes edgy and uncomfortable.

As for the word nigger I follow this rule


Varakir 05-20-10 01:46 AM

There's a guy who is one of the technical managers in my company who is Bulgarian. He's one of the nicest, hard working and straight up guys i've ever met, as well as being very technical and massively interested in gadgets. We both have kids the same age, so we chat quite a bit while he is visiting our site.

He often goes to car boot sales, looking for parts for projects and stuff he can fix up, and at the last one he went to he saw a guy selling old mobile phones. The guy was selling a phone that he recognised as a collectible , and the guy was selling it about 6 times cheaper than you'd get for it on ebay.

He didn't have enough cash on him to buy it, so he kindly gave the guy the tip off and suggested he stick it on ebay. The guy thanked him with ' why don't you sell it yourself, then you can buy a fucking ticket home'.

I just seriously don't understand how you could be that rude to another human being you don't know.

Quote:

Everything else goes though and I do mean everything, both ways. Hilarity always ensues.
The relationships where you can take the piss are always the best, whether it's race, age, height whatever. When you know someone well enough to call them anything, because you know that they know your joking.... That's pure harmony :grin:

The Son of Horus 05-20-10 02:52 AM

I put up with a surprising amount of crap for being Jewish. Now, I find racist jokes to be pretty funny, and my friends and I can always laugh about it. Even my Jewish friends make fun of each other-- once in a while, we'll be out somewhere where we're supposed to leave a tip, and the last person to put the tip down always gets told, "Dude, put another dollar down. Stop being such a Jew." Doesn't matter how much they actually put down-- it's just sort of a stupid inside joke. But the point is, it's a joke. We all laugh.

Then, there are the people who are legitimately anti-Semitic. I live in one of these odd liberal oasis type places in a very conservative state. The head of the Klu Klux Klan lives all of 20 minutes from town, for what that's worth. So I'm always surprised when I manage to get in a row with somebody. I've actually had complaints about my judging Warhammer that were based on me being Jewish. Obviously, that wasn't the actual complaint-- there was some random BS that everybody knew wasn't true, and the person complaining is known to be a nazi.

But back to racist jokes. I'm of the opinion that if you laugh at one racist joke, you give up the right to be offended by racist jokes. Otherwise, you're a hypocrite, and that makes you a giant douche. As long as the joke's funny, it's fine in my book. I'll shoot one back. I have a lot of Catholic friends, for example, and they'll tell an anti-Semitic joke just because they know I'll shoot a Catholic joke back that's even funnier. The problems come when you're the only one laughing. So make sure it's funny if you're going to tell racist jokes.

Carna 05-20-10 11:56 AM

Everyone picks on the fat ginger kid..

WarlordKaptainGrishnak 05-20-10 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carna (Post 636191)
Everyone picks on the fat ginger kid..

:shok:....


FML...:suicide:


nah dudes jokes jokes, i'm not fat haha

But aye those bloody Aussies, what's the go with that aye, with all their flipflops and singlet tops and cork hats riding kanga-fukin-roos...jeez one crack off being Bouganville :biggrin:

but seriously, racist jokes can either go well or badly, a mate of mine has a couple of black friends, who are pretty laid back. If you call them 'nigger' and they know who you are, it'll go down as a joke and everybody has a good time, but don't know the guys and call them a 'nigger' they'll floor you before you know what happened.

Grish

The Wraithlord 05-20-10 12:54 PM

The problem is the people like the one Varakir mentioned, the ones who truly believe that all others who are different are less than they are. I am a redhead, does that mean that everyone the world over who doesn't have reddish hair should be killed off or 'go back home'? No but that is the problem with them because they honestly think so.

The other side of the problem are the folks who call racism at the drop of a hat. There is a black dude who works at the same plant as I do who is the most USELESS piece of shit I have yet to lay eyes on in 36 years and it has nothing to do with being black but with being a lazy fucking cock. In my plant having 5 years of seniority is nothing and it means that you don't own a job and get bounced around to cover missing people as needed. The job you end up on is dictated by who is not there. Yet I lost count of the times I saw that asshole call down the union and the equity representative when he got a job he didn't like (which was damn near all of them). The reason he called them? I quote: "the foreman put me on this fucking job because I am black. He doesn't like me because of that so he gives me the worst jobs". I shit you not. Didn't matter who the foreman was or if it was a man or woman, if they weren't black then every semi shitty job he had to do was because of racism.

Never once did it occur to this guy that the reason he never caught a break was because HE IS A USELESS PIECE OF SHIT or that after being called racists they had no inclination to send him to a better job if they could have. I don't say that about people in general but I wouldn't pull that guy out from in front of a bus even if I had all the time in the world to do so as mankind would be better off as a whole if he weren't allowed to breed :P. Yeah I know that makes me sound bitter about the guy but I have been at Chryslers for 14 years and have had to do many, many, MANY, shitty jobs and I just did them and got on with life. I can't even conceive of the arrogance required to call someone racist because I didn't like the job I had to do.

Yes it exists but I honestly believe it does so because that is how people raise their kids. My son goes to a very mixed school, nationality/culture wise, and he honestly does not comprehend the concept of it in the least.

Emet, Paladin of Truth 05-20-10 07:38 PM

I was stabbed for being Jewish... just FYI.

on the topic of racist jokes- there's a limit. If it's just calling down a harmless stereotype (eg: jewish miserdom) fine, if it's just being insulting then it's neither funny nor tolerable.

Holmstrom 05-25-10 05:00 AM

I can't say that I've been targeted, being white as a frightened ghost, but New Jersey is a melting pot of all sorts of faiths, races and so on. My family is fairly racist. Hell, my grandmother used to yell at my neighbor for being Dutch. At my generation it's fairly watered down then that, of course. I really don't see the point of bashing another because of their race. To me it doesn't seem...legitimate.

If the racist remarks are purely a joke, I don't see a problem at all. Humanity should have a sense of humor about itself. However, things can be taken too far as others have pointed out. New Jersey is a melting pot of all ethnicities in America. You can find Muslims, Jews, blacks, whites, Italians, Russians, Asians...you name it, it's in my area. As such people of my generation generally get along. We live amongst each other. Obviously things happen here and there, but it's a huge improvement over the race riots of the 60's back in the day.

Jack Jack 05-25-10 12:41 PM

Does not being sexually attracted to black people counts as racism?

Zwan 05-25-10 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 639570)
Does not being sexually attracted to black people counts as racism?

No. You wouldn't say being gay was sexism would you? It's a personal preference.

neilbatte 05-25-10 01:36 PM

I think casual racism between freinds is fine you know each other and understand where the line is, Hating people for their colour or birthplace is pretty stupid (only exeption is the french:grin:) Every one is different and regardless of skin colour can be either an asshole or a decent person it's easier to judge on skin colour but more accurate on a 1 to 1 basis. Both Hitler and Mugabe were/are nut job dictators is one better than the other purely because of skin colour? If someone straps explosives to themselves or plants a bomb in a city centre does it really matter what god they believe in or what colour they are?.

Eviltim 05-25-10 02:46 PM

I think the main point about Jokes, is that alot of people do not see the difference between "A Joke that is Racist" and "A Joke about Racism"

But I suppose it comes down to the company you keep,

Oh and incase you didnt know, the old "I'm not racist, my best friend is/ some of my friends are... etc, etc," is actually infact racist!

bitsandkits 05-26-10 10:54 PM

I believe there is significant evidence that we are all in fact racist at some base genetic level, if i understand it correctly its a defence mechanism we have from many years of tribal living which probably derived from an animal level of protecting the "pride" from predators within our own species. These days however you would hope common sense would be able to overide our animal nature, but we have to bear in mind not all the population has attained a level of common sense capable of seeing all humans as the same, lets face it quite a few people you likely know in your everyday lives are little more than cave dwellers, back in prehistoric times they would have died out due to been too stupid or lazy to hunt,these days we pay them to stay at home and watch Jeremy kyle.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

DeathJester921 05-26-10 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emet, Paladin of Truth (Post 636457)
I was stabbed for being Jewish... just FYI.

on the topic of racist jokes- there's a limit. If it's just calling down a harmless stereotype (eg: jewish miserdom) fine, if it's just being insulting then it's neither funny nor tolerable.

what about being called a nazi because i'm german? this kid at school calls me a nazi everyday at school. Its annoying as hell. He even asks questions directed towards me about Hitler, and I always say how the fuck should I know. You know what he says? He says, and I quote "Why not? Your related to him."

Makes me want to punch him in the face. The fact that I ignore it and show restraint amazes me.

NoiseMarine 05-27-10 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathJester921 (Post 640597)
what about being called a nazi because i'm german? this kid at school calls me a nazi everyday at school. Its annoying as hell. He even asks questions directed towards me about Hitler, and I always say how the fuck should I know. You know what he says? He says, and I quote "Why not? Your related to him."

Makes me want to punch him in the face. The fact that I ignore it and show restraint amazes me.

If he wants to see a Nazi, show him a Nazi. The curb is your friend.

Emet, Paladin of Truth 05-27-10 05:05 PM

like this:

http://www.kaitaia.com/funny/g2/d/12..._owned_001.jpg

naked neo-nazi attack!

see, that was racist, but funny, so it's OK :ok:

moo 05-28-10 09:13 AM

Im rubber, you're glue? ;)

Shadow Hawk 05-28-10 04:06 PM

I don't like racism, whether it's funny or not. Racism is never funny. Never.

NoiseMarine 05-28-10 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Hawk (Post 641732)
I don't like racism, whether it's funny or not. Racism is never funny. Never.

Oh cmon'! Not even lynchings?

Jack Jack 05-28-10 06:12 PM

When it's actually funny, it's not racist.

Shadow Hawk 05-28-10 06:51 PM

The clue's in the name: 'Racist' Joke. I don't care if it is funny or not either way you end up hurting someone's feelings, which I don't find funny.

Varakir 05-28-10 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Hawk (Post 641824)
The clue's in the name: 'Racist' Joke. I don't care if it is funny or not either way you end up hurting someone's feelings, which I don't find funny.

Racism can be subjective though, the words which are used are not really important - it's the person saying them that determines the intent with which the words are used.

Many comedians and comedy shows make use of racist jokes - take Family guy for instance. A lot of people would agree that it's a funny show, and do not find it offensive. The satirical nature it's presented in ensures that (most) people realise they aren't trying to cause offense, they're challenging racist preconceptions with humour.

I agree that you have to be very careful not to hurt peoples feelings though, with a comedian they can control the way they present themselves and how their personality is presented. The audience is also aware it's a comedy show and is prepared to take what is said from a humorous angle. On the very few occasions i make racist jokes, it's when i know that the people i'm talking with know me very well, will appreciate the humour and understand i'm not trying to be offensive.

Jack Jack 05-28-10 08:11 PM

I will say : it's not the jokes that are offensive, it's the people who get offended.

Think about that.

Shadow Hawk 05-28-10 08:23 PM

And why do they get offended? because the jokes are offensive.

I can take a very soft racist joke. But there are quite a lot of hardcore racist jokes floating about there.
Sitll, as with any racist joke, you can't help feeling slightly offended, even if it is very soft. Really, It's not nice being judged by your looks/beliefs.

Jack Jack 05-28-10 10:36 PM

Beats me why people get offended, and I mean it seriously.

Why would you care? We are talking about a joke here, or maybe a tv show : it's on tv and it's gonna stay on tv, so get over it.

It's not like if you get denied a job or a rent because of your race. And I don't even know why we can't use the word race and we can use the word, say, ethnicity. The two words mean the same thing. Only, race is a much better word in my opinion : it means roots, which by connotation means origin.

Oh, and don't get started on the fact that race is perjorative while ethnicity isn't. I could elaborate, but let's just say that, back in the days when racism was popular, both words were pejorative. So why did one word became correct while the other didn't ? Maybe that's because racists continued to used the fairer word for themselves while the rest of humanity I dunno.

Still, all this rant is to say : I have no idea why people get offended. It's pretty stupid of them to get offended if you ask me.

Varakir 05-28-10 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 641945)

Still, all this rant is to say : I have no idea why people get offended. It's pretty stupid of them to get offended if you ask me.

I sort of agree with the sentiment, but i don't think it's always stupid for people to be offended. If you work in an enviroment where people are purposely and constantly saying offensive things to you, then you have a right to complain. If my child's teacher decided to use casual swearing at school, i'd find that offensive and want it to be stopped.

It's the people who complain about TV shows, plays, overhearing someone swearing in the street/a shop that i don't understand. Just turn the TV off and forget about it.

Jack Jack 05-29-10 02:17 AM

There's another thing: what's wrong with swearing in general and children swearing in particular?

What's the fundamental difference between saying Godamnit and Gosh dang it? Or saying "MUrmmbl!" for that matter?

Shadow Hawk 05-29-10 06:59 AM

TV shows can actually be quite offensive.
Many TV shows make fun of Jewish people constantly, so if you were Jewish you'd be offended. If they use it once you can shrug it off. Two times and you start to think. Three times you start to suspect. More than four times it starts to hurt.

Jack Jack 05-29-10 07:44 PM

So what? even if tv shows are "offensive", they have the right to be and nobody should complain : you can always change channel or turn it off altogether.

It's not like if your gonna get all racist because some tv show told you it was okay. If that was the case, you are a guillible idiot, and any random person on the street could have made you racist. So it's your own fault, it's not the tv's fault.

That's what critical thinking is for.

Marneus Calgar 05-29-10 08:44 PM

Racism is one of those things where there is a thin line between having a small joke between friends. And actually being racist to a persons face. If I'm honest I don't feel comfortable telling racist jokes, because I don't know how people will react, so, I keep them on the hush hush. But, coming from someone who gets the piss taken from them every day, I really don't see the point of being racist, its only skin colour isn't it? At school, there are people from Africa and Poland etc. All of which are nice people, and I happily talk to day in day out. Because they are nice people...

But, the fact is, I come from a quite racist family, my grandparents are in fact some of the most racist people I know, telling me that some polish people are only here to steal jobs etc. But the fact is, they are some of the hardest working people they would know.

Shadow Hawk 05-29-10 08:52 PM

So the TV shows have the right to discriminate against a set of people, but the people have no right to argue or feel offended? TV shows don't have the right to discriminate against someone just for their beliefs/appearances. It's not the fact that the TV shows teach people racism, it's the fact they're racist in the first place. Anyway, turning the TV off does not take the emotional pain away.

If I was to say all people from Montreal (I'm assuming that's where you're from) are unintelligent chimps and start to make fun of them, you wouldn't like it. I can tell right now you'll shrug it off, but if I repeatedly say that, you won't like it. I would also be confronted for saying that about Montrealers(?), but if I was to say something about jews for example on TV, nobody cares, which isn't fair. I actually have nothing against people from Montreal, I'm just using it as an example.

Jack Jack 05-29-10 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Hawk (Post 642429)
So the TV shows have the right to discriminate against a set of people, but the people have no right to argue or feel offended Not saying they have no right, I'm just saying it's very stupid. I feel being stupid is the most important right a human being posess : if we only had the right to do smart things, then we would not have much freedom.? TV shows don't have the right to discriminate against someone just for their beliefs/appearances. It's not the fact that the TV shows teach people racism, it's the fact they're racist there's a huge gap between saying racist things and actually being racist in the first place. Anyway, turning the TV off does not take the emotional pain away No, and this is evidence that you are your own source of emotional pain, exactly what I said : it's not the TV who is offensive, it's you who get offended.

If I was to say all people from Montreal (I'm assuming that's where you're from Laval actually, but no one ever knows where the fuck is Laval (hint : it's 0.1 mile north from Montreal) are unintelligent chimps and start to make fun of them, you wouldn't like it. I can tell right now you'll shrug it off, but if I repeatedly say that, you won't like it Even if I did, that's not your fucking problem. I would also be confronted for saying that about Montrealers(?), but if I was to say something about jews for example on TV, nobody cares I wish they wouldn't, which isn't fair. I actually have nothing against people from Montreal, I'm just using it as an example.

Tell you something : I'm in quite a dilemma : I consider that last sentence of yours as an attack on my intelligence, and on the intelligence of every one on this board. Of course we knew you had nothing against those unintelligent chimps, they're so cute! But if I take offense to it, then I just insulted my own intelligence XD. Good thing I have the right to be stupid.

Shadow Hawk 05-29-10 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 642450)
Not saying they have no right, I'm just saying it's very stupid. I feel being stupid is the most important right a human being posess : if we only had the right to do smart things, then we would not have much freedom

So you're saying they have right? I don't understand the 'It's very stupid' part, What is very stupid?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 642450)
there's a huge gap between saying racist things and actually being racist

Doesn't saying racist things make you racist?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 642450)
No, and this is evidence that you are your own source of emotional pain, exactly what I said : it's not the TV who is offensive, it's you who get offendedt

So people get offended for no reason they just think, 'why I feel offended' randomly? No, the TV offends people who then get offended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 642450)
Even if I did, that's not your fucking problem

I never said it was my problem, in fact it is your own which is what racism is about

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 642450)
I wish they wouldn't

Why not?

Jack Jack 05-29-10 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Hawk (Post 642460)
So you're saying they have right? I don't understand the 'It's very stupid' part, What is very stupid?
To be offended when you probably have better things to do than worry about it. Like say, procrastinating.

Doesn't saying racist things make you racist?
Don't be silly, it's entirely possible to say things you don't believe. Also, most racist people I've seen in fiction are strawmen racist. In fact, I play the strawman misogynist all the time, I find it hilarious to think that some people actually believe the horribly stupid things I say. But women can't understand this because their brain is not wired to do it.

So people get offended for no reason they just think, 'why I feel offended' randomly? No, the TV offends people who then get offended.
No, they (actively) take offense to things they see. But, as the thing they see could also be there without them being offended, (there's the possibility that they would just shrug it off), then it is them who have the control over being offended or not. Moreover, the hard feelings remain even after the source is gone. When I burn myself on something that burns, well once the cause has been removed, I'm no longer burning. I'm still burnt, but not burning. Being offended is different. Once an offending episode is gone, people can, and some will, actively cultivate the rage.

Let me remind you basic causality here : P - Q. It is true when :
Q is always true when P is true.
P is false.

It is false the minute a situation arises when :
P is true and Q is false.

So if it's possible for a show to be "offensive" without someone to be offended, then it is not the show who is responsible for the people to get offended, you have to look elsewhere.


I never said it was my problem, in fact it is your own which is what racism is about Say that again, with clarity : I said you should (not will) not care If I get offended at something you say. In other words : the right thing to do when "you offend" someone is to not care. Are you agreeing with me here? Then why are you finding racist jokes unfunny in the first place?

I wish they wouldn't care about depiction or outright propaganda of racism in movies
Why not?

Because all forms of censorship are bad. The right of someone to say something racist or to promote racism is a right as important as any other right, and does not infringe on anybody's right : promoting racism is not like being racism and harms no one. And it's not making people get racist either : he's not forcing anybody to get racist. Maybe he could seduce Bob into getting racist, but that's Bob's fault for being guillible. And Bob has the right to be guillible by the way.

Varakir 05-30-10 01:02 AM

Quote:

Doesn't saying racist things make you racist?
As Jack Jack pointed out, you can say anything you don't mean or believe. The words are not important at all, it's the people saying them and perceiving them that matter. I could say that I i am thinking about joining a white supremacy group, and if i said it to my wife she would know i was joking. If i said it to my wife whilst we were queuing up at the cinema, then people overhearing this may automatically assume i'm a racist, as they don't know me, and can't interpret my original meaning. TV shows are very rarely intentionally racist, the best of them are usually trying to break down the boundaries, and show how stupid racism is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 642036)
There's another thing: what's wrong with swearing in general and children swearing in particular?

What's the fundamental difference between saying Godamnit and Gosh dang it? Or saying "MUrmmbl!" for that matter?

I appreciate this is off topic, but wanted to mention it. I don't think there's anything wrong with swearing at all, again it's just words. But there are people in the world who don't think like this, and i don't think children should be taught swear words until they understand the implications in society.

I don't care if my kids swear when they are older, but i find it irresponsible to expose young children to swearing because of the negative views some people will automatically take if they hear these words. It's unfair on the children as they don't fully grasp why this is.

Shadow Hawk 05-30-10 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 642535)
To be offended when you probably have better things to do than worry about it. Like say, procrastinating.

So no-ones allowed to be offended over anything, no matter what the circumstances?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 642535)
Don't be silly, it's entirely possible to say things you don't believe

Why say them then? If you don't believe something you wouldn't go round preaching it, like if you were atheist you wouldn't preach God would you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 642535)
When I burn myself on something that burns, well once the cause has been removed, I'm no longer burning. I'm still burnt, but not burning. Being offended is different. Once an offending episode is gone, people can, and some will, actively cultivate the rage.

There's a difference between being burnt and being offended. Being burnt is physical and goes away with ease but being offended is psychological and is hard to get rid of as the words you hear play round and round in your head. Also burning is once but it takes a few times to really get offended. If you kept burning yourself in the same spot, that part of you dies and falls away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 642535)
So if it's possible for a show to be "offensive" without someone to be offended, then it is not the show who is responsible for the people to get offended, you have to look elsewhere.

So the show isn't offensive therefore the people get offended for no reason then? Like I said, that doesn't happen, the TV show has to be offensive.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 642535)
Say that again, with clarity : I said you should (not will) not care If I get offended at something you say. In other words : the right thing to do when "you offend" someone is to not care. Are you agreeing with me here?

How did I agree then? You're not going to purposely offend someone then say sorry are you? You shouldn't even be offending in the first place. Not caring isn't the right thing to do, otherwise you're cold and heartless, even killers must feel some sympathy for their victims. That however does not mean if you offend someone you would have to say sorry to them however

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 642535)
Because all forms of censorship are bad. The right of someone to say something racist or to promote racism is a right as important as any other right, and does not infringe on anybody's right : promoting racism is not like being racism and harms no one. And it's not making people get racist either : he's not forcing anybody to get racist. Maybe he could seduce Bob into getting racist, but that's Bob's fault for being guillible. And Bob has the right to be guillible by the way.

What's the difference between promoting racism and being racist? Again, if you were atheist you wouldn't preach God otherwise that would mean you were actually theist.

Promoting racism does harm people if you're saying 'racism is good and all people who look like/believe xyz don't deserve to live' that is really going to hit someone hard.

You talk about rights so much, but tell me, when did one race get the right to persecute another and call them inferior?

Racism isn't just TV racism is it?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/4477156.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8537861.stm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/dec/15/race.world
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ing-spree.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Stephen_Lawrence
http://balder.org/articles/hatespeec...der-Sweden.php

I could find loads more, but that will do for now

Varakir 05-30-10 09:52 AM

You seem to think we're saying racism is fine, and saying racist things is fine. We aren't and it's not.

Racism needs to be in the public eye, and it needs to be able to be joked about. If it wasn't then racism would still exist, and it would harbour in a worse way.

Marneus mentioned that he has racist family, and this is true of many people. If Racism isn't in the public eye and discussed, joked about, etc etc then their only influence of racism comes directly from the people around them, and they may not appreciate the impact of the views which are being passed onto them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Hawk (Post 642678)

So the show isn't offensive therefore the people get offended for no reason then? Like I said, that doesn't happen, the TV show has to be offensive.

People get offended for no reason all the time. There were record complaints for the Russell Brand and Johnathan Ross 'incident' last year, and Jerry Springer: the opera a few years back. The show was even cancelled for a time. In both these incidents almost 90% of people complaining had not seen, or heard the things they were complaining about.

I could say i'm 'offended' about lots of shows on TV, they have no intellectual value and are a complete waste of money. Should they be cancelled becasue of what i think? Why are my views of what is offensive less relevant than other peoples?


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:20 PM.

Powered by the Emperor of Man.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome