Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/29-off-topic/)
-   -   Racism: Do you experience it? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/off-topic/62726-racism-do-you-experience.html)

Shadow Hawk 05-28-10 04:06 PM

I don't like racism, whether it's funny or not. Racism is never funny. Never.

NoiseMarine 05-28-10 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Hawk (Post 641732)
I don't like racism, whether it's funny or not. Racism is never funny. Never.

Oh cmon'! Not even lynchings?

Jack Jack 05-28-10 06:12 PM

When it's actually funny, it's not racist.

Shadow Hawk 05-28-10 06:51 PM

The clue's in the name: 'Racist' Joke. I don't care if it is funny or not either way you end up hurting someone's feelings, which I don't find funny.

Varakir 05-28-10 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Hawk (Post 641824)
The clue's in the name: 'Racist' Joke. I don't care if it is funny or not either way you end up hurting someone's feelings, which I don't find funny.

Racism can be subjective though, the words which are used are not really important - it's the person saying them that determines the intent with which the words are used.

Many comedians and comedy shows make use of racist jokes - take Family guy for instance. A lot of people would agree that it's a funny show, and do not find it offensive. The satirical nature it's presented in ensures that (most) people realise they aren't trying to cause offense, they're challenging racist preconceptions with humour.

I agree that you have to be very careful not to hurt peoples feelings though, with a comedian they can control the way they present themselves and how their personality is presented. The audience is also aware it's a comedy show and is prepared to take what is said from a humorous angle. On the very few occasions i make racist jokes, it's when i know that the people i'm talking with know me very well, will appreciate the humour and understand i'm not trying to be offensive.

Jack Jack 05-28-10 08:11 PM

I will say : it's not the jokes that are offensive, it's the people who get offended.

Think about that.

Shadow Hawk 05-28-10 08:23 PM

And why do they get offended? because the jokes are offensive.

I can take a very soft racist joke. But there are quite a lot of hardcore racist jokes floating about there.
Sitll, as with any racist joke, you can't help feeling slightly offended, even if it is very soft. Really, It's not nice being judged by your looks/beliefs.

Jack Jack 05-28-10 10:36 PM

Beats me why people get offended, and I mean it seriously.

Why would you care? We are talking about a joke here, or maybe a tv show : it's on tv and it's gonna stay on tv, so get over it.

It's not like if you get denied a job or a rent because of your race. And I don't even know why we can't use the word race and we can use the word, say, ethnicity. The two words mean the same thing. Only, race is a much better word in my opinion : it means roots, which by connotation means origin.

Oh, and don't get started on the fact that race is perjorative while ethnicity isn't. I could elaborate, but let's just say that, back in the days when racism was popular, both words were pejorative. So why did one word became correct while the other didn't ? Maybe that's because racists continued to used the fairer word for themselves while the rest of humanity I dunno.

Still, all this rant is to say : I have no idea why people get offended. It's pretty stupid of them to get offended if you ask me.

Varakir 05-28-10 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 641945)

Still, all this rant is to say : I have no idea why people get offended. It's pretty stupid of them to get offended if you ask me.

I sort of agree with the sentiment, but i don't think it's always stupid for people to be offended. If you work in an enviroment where people are purposely and constantly saying offensive things to you, then you have a right to complain. If my child's teacher decided to use casual swearing at school, i'd find that offensive and want it to be stopped.

It's the people who complain about TV shows, plays, overhearing someone swearing in the street/a shop that i don't understand. Just turn the TV off and forget about it.

Jack Jack 05-29-10 02:17 AM

There's another thing: what's wrong with swearing in general and children swearing in particular?

What's the fundamental difference between saying Godamnit and Gosh dang it? Or saying "MUrmmbl!" for that matter?