Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/29-off-topic/)
-   -   Racism: Do you experience it? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/off-topic/62726-racism-do-you-experience.html)

Holmstrom 05-25-10 05:00 AM

I can't say that I've been targeted, being white as a frightened ghost, but New Jersey is a melting pot of all sorts of faiths, races and so on. My family is fairly racist. Hell, my grandmother used to yell at my neighbor for being Dutch. At my generation it's fairly watered down then that, of course. I really don't see the point of bashing another because of their race. To me it doesn't seem...legitimate.

If the racist remarks are purely a joke, I don't see a problem at all. Humanity should have a sense of humor about itself. However, things can be taken too far as others have pointed out. New Jersey is a melting pot of all ethnicities in America. You can find Muslims, Jews, blacks, whites, Italians, Russians, Asians...you name it, it's in my area. As such people of my generation generally get along. We live amongst each other. Obviously things happen here and there, but it's a huge improvement over the race riots of the 60's back in the day.

Jack Jack 05-25-10 12:41 PM

Does not being sexually attracted to black people counts as racism?

Zwan 05-25-10 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jack (Post 639570)
Does not being sexually attracted to black people counts as racism?

No. You wouldn't say being gay was sexism would you? It's a personal preference.

neilbatte 05-25-10 01:36 PM

I think casual racism between freinds is fine you know each other and understand where the line is, Hating people for their colour or birthplace is pretty stupid (only exeption is the french:grin:) Every one is different and regardless of skin colour can be either an asshole or a decent person it's easier to judge on skin colour but more accurate on a 1 to 1 basis. Both Hitler and Mugabe were/are nut job dictators is one better than the other purely because of skin colour? If someone straps explosives to themselves or plants a bomb in a city centre does it really matter what god they believe in or what colour they are?.

Eviltim 05-25-10 02:46 PM

I think the main point about Jokes, is that alot of people do not see the difference between "A Joke that is Racist" and "A Joke about Racism"

But I suppose it comes down to the company you keep,

Oh and incase you didnt know, the old "I'm not racist, my best friend is/ some of my friends are... etc, etc," is actually infact racist!

bitsandkits 05-26-10 10:54 PM

I believe there is significant evidence that we are all in fact racist at some base genetic level, if i understand it correctly its a defence mechanism we have from many years of tribal living which probably derived from an animal level of protecting the "pride" from predators within our own species. These days however you would hope common sense would be able to overide our animal nature, but we have to bear in mind not all the population has attained a level of common sense capable of seeing all humans as the same, lets face it quite a few people you likely know in your everyday lives are little more than cave dwellers, back in prehistoric times they would have died out due to been too stupid or lazy to hunt,these days we pay them to stay at home and watch Jeremy kyle.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

DeathJester921 05-26-10 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emet, Paladin of Truth (Post 636457)
I was stabbed for being Jewish... just FYI.

on the topic of racist jokes- there's a limit. If it's just calling down a harmless stereotype (eg: jewish miserdom) fine, if it's just being insulting then it's neither funny nor tolerable.

what about being called a nazi because i'm german? this kid at school calls me a nazi everyday at school. Its annoying as hell. He even asks questions directed towards me about Hitler, and I always say how the fuck should I know. You know what he says? He says, and I quote "Why not? Your related to him."

Makes me want to punch him in the face. The fact that I ignore it and show restraint amazes me.

NoiseMarine 05-27-10 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathJester921 (Post 640597)
what about being called a nazi because i'm german? this kid at school calls me a nazi everyday at school. Its annoying as hell. He even asks questions directed towards me about Hitler, and I always say how the fuck should I know. You know what he says? He says, and I quote "Why not? Your related to him."

Makes me want to punch him in the face. The fact that I ignore it and show restraint amazes me.

If he wants to see a Nazi, show him a Nazi. The curb is your friend.

Emet, Paladin of Truth 05-27-10 05:05 PM

like this:

http://www.kaitaia.com/funny/g2/d/12..._owned_001.jpg

naked neo-nazi attack!

see, that was racist, but funny, so it's OK :ok:

moo 05-28-10 09:13 AM

Im rubber, you're glue? ;)