Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   nanotech and 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/56037-nanotech-40k.html)

GabrialSagan 02-12-10 12:35 AM

nanotech and 40k

Ok. When GW originally created 40k they threw in all the elements of sci-fi that people of the time loved.

Since then science has progressed in ways that people in the 70s and 80s really could not have imagined. Today one of the biggest technologies speculated about in sci fi novels is the power of nanotechnology, particularly in terms of medicine, cybernetics, and fabrication. Something that the original 40k writers could not have seen coming. The result is that nanotechnology is lacking from the setting.

Here is my question. If 40k was being written today for the first time what role would nanotechnology play in the Imperium?

XxDreMisterxX 02-12-10 12:43 AM

Digital weapons in 40k are sorta like that. lol

GabrialSagan 02-12-10 12:55 AM

digital weapons are just compact versions of devices.

To clarify- nanotechnology as I am meaning it is the technology of building microscopic machines that can work in concert to manipulate matter on a molecular or even atomic scale. building something (or taking it apart) atom by atom. Sending tiny attack drones to target and destroy cancer cells, ect.

Chaosrider 02-12-10 02:14 AM

but even if that existed, wouldn't it of been lost in the Age of Strife? like nearly everything else?

K3k3000 02-12-10 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabrialSagan (Post 567916)
digital weapons are just compact versions of devices.

To clarify- nanotechnology as I am meaning it is the technology of building microscopic machines that can work in concert to manipulate matter on a molecular or even atomic scale. building something (or taking it apart) atom by atom. Sending tiny attack drones to target and destroy cancer cells, ect.

Doesn't that defy science on a very basic level? I mean, what would you even build them out of? Steel at an atomic level is just ... atoms, right?

hailene 02-12-10 05:03 AM

I would imagine, barring the physics defying powers of the C'tan gods, that the Necron necrodermis is probably based on nano-tech. The self-building/self-repair ability for nano-technology has been around since its infancy.

Ryuzaki 02-12-10 05:39 AM

I think it'd be lost in the age of strife (GW's ''catch all'' excuse for new technologies), but if it wasn't, i reckon it'd be used for medical purposes much like they are today (poisons are alot more efficient in killing than producing millions of mini-bots designed to screw you around).

Malus Darkblade 02-12-10 06:59 AM

Nanotechonology would be in the advanced bloodstream of the Marines and in their advanced digestive systems, enabling them to get rid of poisons and digest anything and also the systems that monitor their life signs would most likely be using nano tech as well.

I'd just like to throw in that I think we're developing STC's already
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

piemaster 02-12-10 08:48 AM

There was a nice fluff piece in WD where Relicors jumped some IG outpost to steal chaos relics. The officer had his face melted off but then he had new skin grown and grafted on. You could imply the use of nano-tech here without explicitly saying. Also SM metabolisms could imply the same implementation as Malus Darkblade said.

Nano tech could have make a nice difference to Tallarn, only killing humans, and not turning it into a desert.

Agathodaemon 02-12-10 03:47 PM

I guess that nanotech is used without much specific comment.

In one of the Shira Calpurnia novels, the title character is attacked by a swarm of all-consuming insect devices that sounds like a macro-scale grey goo weapon- such a system might very well use nanotech on some level.