Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   few (somewhat silly) question about blanks/pariahs (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/47653-few-somewhat-silly-question-about-blanks-pariahs.html)

revenant13 10-06-09 01:40 PM

few (somewhat silly) question about blanks/pariahs

1) since they block out the warp and such, could they disrupt the effect of synapse in tyranids? could they block out/negate some of the abilities tyrants get? (like warp field and such)

2) the geller fields in ship block out the warp so it doesnt affect the ship. could a ship without a geller field be fine in the warp as well if all its crew were pariahs? (now i know there would never be a ship composed entirely of pariahs/blanks. it's just hypothetical)

3) if a blank were to walk up to the Emperor in his current state would it kill him? (again hypothetical)

AND

4) are there any space marines that have blanks/pariahs in their ranks knowingly or not?

Child-of-the-Emperor 10-06-09 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revenant13 (Post 492589)
1) since they block out the warp and such, could they disrupt the effect of synapse in tyranids? could they block out/negate some of the abilities tyrants get? (like warp field and such)

I see no reason why not.

Quote:

2) the geller fields in ship block out the warp so it doesnt affect the ship. could a ship without a geller field be fine in the warp as well if all its crew were pariahs? (now i know there would never be a ship composed entirely of pariahs/blanks. it's just hypothetical)

Hmm.. Well we know that blanks have a negative effect on Warp entities/Psykers in the Material Plane, but what effect they would have upon Daemons (as an example) in the Warp itself is up for debate.

Quote:

3) if a blank were to walk up to the Emperor in his current state would it kill him? (again hypothetical)

Well the Sisters of Silence were Blanks right? They fought alongside the Emperor during the Great Crusade. They also fought in the Webway against the hordes of Daemons that threatened to over-run the Imperial Palace - and lost. This leads me to suggest that there 'Blank' effect is not all that powerful against Daemons.

As for what effect they would have on the Emperor in his 'current' state? I imagine that the Emperor is too powerful a Psyker to be effected by Blanks.

Quote:

4) are there any space marines that have blanks/pariahs in their ranks knowingly or not?

Not that I am aware of. Blanks have an effect on non-Psykers aswell, in fact they have an effect on everyone/everything with a Warp Presence, If there were any among the Astartes Recruiting Worlds they would probably be killed or recruited by the various Imperial Organisations that makes use of them.

Skye 10-08-09 01:20 PM

Balnks just have no warp existance. If the warp is an echo of the material plane than those with the Pariah genes are "silent" in the warp, thus negating it's affects.
Also these people are used by Inquisitors for thier retinues in many situations (maybe sages?) and are often mentioned in books involving the Inquisition.

thomas2 10-09-09 04:45 PM

Quote:

They probably could, but the Hive mind is powerful and I'd imagine the first instinct of a synapse-less 'nid near a pariah would be to kill them.

Quote:

The HH short story book notes that despite being filled with Sisters of Silence the Black Ships still need a Geller field, so no.

Quote:

They didn't when he was alive, so I doubt it.

Quote:

There's no reason not too, unless the blank/pariah gene messes with any of the organs, but that seems very unlikely.

Of course I can't be sure about any of my answers- blanks/pariahs are rather a vague thing, for example what is the differences between them? Are there different strengths of them? What would happen if a physic power was used to say throw a projectile at them from out of their blank range? Basically I don't think anyone knows very much about blanks and pariahs for certain.

Komrad 10-12-09 03:53 PM

''Well the Sisters of Silence were Blanks right? They fought alongside the Emperor during the Great Crusade. They also fought in the Webway against the hordes of Daemons that threatened to over-run the Imperial Palace - and lost. This leads me to suggest that there 'Blank' effect is not all that powerful against Daemons.

As for what effect they would have on the Emperor in his 'current' state? I imagine that the Emperor is too powerful a Psyker to be effected by Blanks.'' <-quote from emperor, lol(im half asleep)

Well Pariahs have a field of blankness around there person which is impossible for anything 'warp' related to enter ie 'Primarily manifested as a small region of "blankness" surrounding the individual, it is impossible for psychic powers or warp creatures to penetrate this space.' and ive never read anything about Sisters of Silence but perhaps they were of lesser 'Negative Psionic Levels' like Upsilon.

kaled 10-12-09 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas2 (Post 494667)
for example what is the differences between them? Are there different strengths of them? What would happen if a physic power was used to say throw a projectile at them from out of their blank range?

According to the short story, The Voice an untouchable's gift can manifest in different ways, and yes there are different strengths. According to The Inquisition - anyone with a psi-rating below pi is a blunt, an individual who is oblivious to psychic activity or probing. Their ability is graded too, for example an individual with a rating of upsilon might just be affected by a severe psychic approach but is otherwise inert. Omega rating indicates the far extreme, the so called untouchables who are so 'blunt' as to have a measurable anti-psychic effect. As for the last question - I can't remember a source, but I'm pretty sure if the projectile is already moving and has sufficient momenteum when it reaches the edge of the untouchable's field of effect, then it will continue on and hit them.

Skye 10-16-09 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas2 (Post 494667)
There's no reason not too, unless the blank/pariah gene messes with any of the organs, but that seems very unlikely.

Well Pariahs have no direct effect on normal people, but beings that are "soulless" generate a feeling of unease. In one of the Heresy books (Eisenstien...?) it talks about thier cooperation with Silent sisters. While they didn't do anything to the Space Marines directly, the Space Marines didn't really feel comfortable around them.
Aaaaand of course the librarians would throw a fit :laugh: