Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Tactics (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/15-40k-tactics/)
-   -   Burnas & Lootas & Transports, oh my! (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-tactics/41008-burnas-lootas-transports-oh-my.html)

Inquisitor Varrius 07-07-09 02:08 PM

Burnas & Lootas & Transports, oh my!

Alright, this may not be the best place, but I have an orky question. I just got another pack of burnas/lootas. I now have 8 of each, and 3 meks. First, are the meks worth it? Everyone says they stink.
Second, is a transport a good idea for burnas? I'm not sure they'll survive the 2 turns to move into firing range. I could put them in a trukk or something, but I didn't know if that was worth it point-wise. Any input's welcome, thanks in advance.

TheKingElessar 07-08-09 12:18 PM

This isn't an army list...

Anyway, no Meks aren't worth it, they're poor. If they got a KFF for the squad, they'd be awesome - but no.

As for Transport - they can't get a DT, but it's well worth giving them a transport if possible. Mechanzatin' is da way fer Orkses ta go splat 'eads!

Inquisitor Varrius 07-08-09 01:13 PM

Thanks TKE, I knew it wasn't a list (as I said) but this seemed a good place for an orky-related question. Thread closed, I guess, thanks for the war wisdom.

morfangdakka 07-09-09 04:13 AM

THe meks are not worth it other than converting them into another loota. Burna boyz are great when you can get them into range and while you can't get them a truck you can throw them into a looted wagon for some drive by flame jobs.

Galahad 07-10-09 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inquisitor Varrius (Post 430138)
Thanks TKE, I knew it wasn't a list (as I said) but this seemed a good place for an orky-related question. Thread closed, I guess, thanks for the war wisdom.

If you read the sticky at the top of the forum you;ll find that the best place for questions like this is 40k tactics. The army list forum is only for lists. I went ahead and moved this for you.

As for your question, transports are a good idea for burnas, and it was somewhat frustrating on 4th that the unit had no transport option besides buying a battlewagon with an FOC slot. Fortunately in 5th you can borrow other units dedicated transports (though you cannot deploy in them). Start them near a trukk from one of your boyz mobs, load them up on turn one and move out.

The meks aren't bad, but the thing is you're trading away one of the special weapons for it. I might take a mek in a burna unit since the Kustom Mega blasta has a nice short range and good AP, it won't slow the unit down much (and you;re probably not going to need *all* of those templates), but never for lootas.

tHe thing that makes lootas effective is massed deffgun fire and long range. You're losing a deffgun to take a mek. THe KMB he carries is too short ranged to complement the deffgun firepower and only gets one shot.

Winterous 07-10-09 06:10 AM

I agree with Galahad.
Although I'd say a Looted Wagon is your best bet for Burna boys, because it costs the same, and they can deploy in it (unless that doesn't really matter).
It's stupid that they can't take a DT, terrible on so many levels.

Anyway, Burnas need to get close, in some situations they're fine without a transport, but in most You'll want it, even if for 1 turns movement.
Unloading them and chucking out 5 flamer templates is nasty.

Meks, I agree with not taking them on Lootas, but they're pretty good for Burnas.
If you do a close-in vehicle swarm, with Scorchas or Deffrollas then they can be a good asset, as you can just spread the squad out a bit, still shoot, and repair the vehicle.
More importantly though, in a decent-sized squad of Burnas, they add some much needed anti-vehicle potential.
You're fine against Terminators and such, because the Burnas are also power weapons, just remember not to fire your flamers against tough units.

Dafistofmork 07-10-09 12:43 PM

apparnetly you can not burn your foes from a transport as the templates hit the trukk, and you are not allowed to hit freindly units. i saw a game the other week where the burna squad had to disembark to shoot,and only two boys could shoot the opposing nids as he was crammed in to a small place. the squad prombtly got owned by homogaunts and had to be rescued by a squad of boys from a second trukk.

if that is true then templates suck.

Critta 07-10-09 12:47 PM

I was under the impression that most ork vehicles were open-topped.

I was also under the impression that this means you take the flamer template from the hull of the vehicle, as the whole of the vehicle counts as a fire point.

But I might be thinking of a previous version of the rules or just be flat-out wrong.

Would someone with a rulebook at hand like to check this for me please?

Winterous 07-10-09 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critta (Post 431683)
I was under the impression that most ork vehicles were open-topped.

I was also under the impression that this means you take the flamer template from the hull of the vehicle, as the whole of the vehicle counts as a fire point.

But I might be thinking of a previous version of the rules or just be flat-out wrong.

Would someone with a rulebook at hand like to check this for me please?

Yep, that's correct.
And since it's not actually COVERING the vehicle, it doesn't count as touching :D

They really need to fix that mishap with the template failure.

Galahad 07-10-09 01:44 PM

As long as your transport is open topped then yeah, flamers are just fine, since you're firing from the hull and not a firepoint that may overlap your hull, there's no conflict (unlike

And since you can scratchbuild ork stuff, if you ever did want to waste firepower by putting them in a hard top you can always stick your firepoints on the outside of the hull instead of overlooking it to avoid pedantic motherfuckers saying "Nope, your template is on top of the hull!"

Or you could just not play with dicks.

But either way, open-topped is fine