Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/29-off-topic/)
-   -   Asperger, and other LD's (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/off-topic/40863-asperger-other-lds.html)

LukeValantine 07-05-09 12:00 PM

Asperger, and other LD's

I thought I would inquire to weather anyone else on the heresy forum has Asperger or any other Learning disabilities/difficulties. The reason for my curiosity is that I am one of the many who suffer from this cough... disability, and as such was wondering if anyone else on the forum has this learning disability, or for that matter any similar learning disability. The focus of the inquiry is in regards to the difficulties or social problems your face because of your LD.

Now it would be unfair to expect others to open up on such a difficult topic without offering information on my own experiences with Aspergers. The greatest hardships I face in my life because of Asperger are mostly social do to how Asperger is a high functional LD. Which means where I may have difficulty in some fields, my potential intellectual ability is generally above most of humanity. One of the most troubling of the social difficulties I encounter is a sever sense of detachment from the rest of humanity to the point where I feel completely inhuman when around others, sure I have adapted to the point where I can function perfectly fine in almost any setting, but my desire for prolonged social interaction with others in any informal setting is negligible at best. There is however times when this problem is far worse to the point where I find the shear presence of certain individuals like a cancer eating away at me, as if their vary way of moving talking or acting was the most repulsive thing imaginable. Compared to these difficulties any minor cognitive limitations I experience seem small, but are none the less horrific for unlike most of humanity I am painfully aware of the wonders and possibility's presented by experience/knowledge, and have been so since I was in the crib, yet do to my cognitive limitations I often have difficulty learning at a pace that even comes close to allowing me to fulfill such possibilities. This matter is made worse by the fact that failure is not just a emotional experience for me I can almost hear or feel it to the point where its like a spike has been driven though my head. Worse yet over the years I have come to hate almost all of humanity for its unwillingness to use its natural cognitive abilities to pursue the things that I am so driven to seek, because I am unable to do so because of the limitations imposed on me by nature itself (The thing in question is excellence in all fields).

Now I know many of you out their may not want to present such vulnerabilities to the hateful void know as the internet, matter of fact the only reason I do so is because only one person on this forums know me, and even then he only know me from a single game of 40k I played against him. So use the anonymity I just used to post any difficulties you may have faced in life do to a LD, but only if it helps you.

NerdyOgre254 07-06-09 12:37 AM

I've been wondering when something like this would come up.

I've been seeing counsellors for a while - occasionally since about 1999, and regularly since about 2005. I was misdiagnosed with clinical depression in 2005, then someone thought it was Aspergers, and finally someone worked out that i have Borderline Personality Disorder.

I hate the fact that I am different on a fundamentally basic level from most other people. It's something I've had to deal with for a long time.

The scariest part about it is I have to analyze every interaction I make, and make sure I'm not doing things that are socially unacceptable.

Speaking of which - One of my lecturers decided to poke fun at people with Aspergers, when describing programmers at games companies. My response was... well... pretty brutal. I don't remember too much of it, but he knows now that there are some topics you don't poke fun of - that being one of them.

The only place i really feel like i'm able to connect with people is when I'm roleplaying - going off into fantasy lands and all that stuff. It might be escapism but it really does work for me.

Insane Psychopath 07-06-09 09:25 AM

I have semantic pragmatic disorder (SPD) which is a fourm of asperger & a difficult with reading & writen as well as a few other things in there.

For me it thing like

- Spell checker dose not help me, more so with words like there/thier, where/were, that/at. Just more when to use them that the right time.

- Get nervies when I am in a new area or do somthing new. So say like a job interview or going to college for the first time.

- I can get stress out that time if somthing not going right & just unsure how to sort it, led to bad headace.

- When ever there a argument I can see right away who right or wrong.

- With in a mere few second of meeting someone I can tell what there like in term of a good person, bad/git/big headed, etc...
However I really do find it hard to read people body launge while myself I might give off the wrong body launge that time only because I was nervies.

- I find it hard with direction (sp?). No matter how many time someone tell me the same direction it dose not help me. Usely if I am going to a place for the first time I tend to have a map printed out from yellow page web site.
But once I been there & have no problem with the direction when going back there.

However with SPD it has help greatly with my model making skill. I was recommended by Graham McNeill after he seen my IW army that Conflict Scotland to go onto a NQ to HND model making course in Scotland.

I've complete it with best student award & best team work award.

Just when I get a idea in my head, I have the model complete as it where. However my college teach would alway have me sort of going from my finial idea (from my head) to show how I got there, so people could understand where the idea came from.
When I made the model in my course I could see how it would all turn out & knew each step was going right.

My finial year project being a finial exsample where everthing was work from the top of my head as it where with size, how it would look, etc...

Also because of this a few people from my college course started to become a bit jeloius (sp). End of the day I done nothing toward them & nor did I act big headed that all (I'm leval headed person).
But then again I would say 98% of the college course (people from NQ, HNC & HND) would come to me & seek advice.

Quote:

This matter is made worse by the fact that failure is not just a emotional experience for me I can almost hear or feel it to the point where its like a spike has been driven though my head
I know the feeling, with me I do not feel embaris (sp?) instead I feel like I mess up & fail, that one part of me is... I do not like to fail & why I done so well that my college course.

IP

Master Kashnizel 07-06-09 10:41 AM

I personally do not have asperger or any form of learning disability but I do have a close friend with asperger.

He has a hard time in crowded areas or in noisy areas because he can't ignore sounds. All sounds around him come in at once and it confuses/disorients him. If their are to many noises, he can get angry, very hyper or can begin screaming to try quiet everything down.

Of course, when it is quiet and he isn't doing anything overly excited (he is very excitable) he is basically normal. He does act a little strange but not to much so that you would think he is mentally handicapped (he has a learning disorder but people often assume it is a form of retardation).

He is a very kind and caring person to everyone he meets and protects his friends. Many of the people who live on my street are cruel to him when he visits (laughing at him, saying cruel things), but they always have gotten a boot in the backside for it from me and the people who know my friend.

I find it hard when people assume that he is retarded or make a blanket statement about him, because he is really a nice guy. People should try and understand what he is going through.

Tim/Steve 07-06-09 11:25 AM

Aspergers and dyslexia.. fun combo that it is.

I know exactly how Luke feels though Im not quite so bad- I dont mind being around people (though Im still anti-social), I just cant stand being around people for long periods- after spending a 2-4 hours with anyone the absolute last thing I want to do is spend any more time with them (regardless of if they are friends or family).

I really dont like new places (driving anywhere when I dont know the route is a big one- get seriously anxious regardless of how easy the route is)... I dodnt really realise quite how much this affects my normal life until recently- I thought that I just happened to get into routines easily but it turns out that following them is almost a compulsion (eg I go into my FLGS on thursday.. doesnt really matter if I want to go or not I still find myself going).

Weird what Kashnizel said- never thought it was part of the aspergers but I have rubbish hearing when its noisy but great hearing when its quiet...when I used to wait for the bus home from school I could barely hear anything that my friend would say- doesnt make me angry- its as though the volume gets turned down when there is a lot of noise about.

Actually the thing I fins most irritating is that I'm actually very clever (IQ~135-40) which means that most things I'll grasp very quickly but somethings remain a total mystery to me
eg- 40k is a breeze but after 24 years I still dont understand peope (I always expect too much- honesty, loyalty, keeping your word... constant disapointment has made me very cynical)

Edit- on a slightly weirder note almost every person at my FLGS is dyslexic... it must be running at 70%+, dunno if this is the same everywhere or just a stats glitch but it is odd.

Katie Drake 07-06-09 06:57 PM

Asperger's Syndrome. I also have a Spatial Learning Disability. Because of Asperger's Syndrome, I also suffer from severe social anxiety (to the point of actual social phobia), depression and more.

With these issues, I tend to be pretty withdrawn out in public and around people who I'm not familiar and comfortable with. A lot of the time I feel almost alien compared to other people because of the way that my brain functions in comparison to others. Social niceties, cues and expectations are, by the large, beyond my ability to understand on the same level that everyone else does.

In loud and crowded places I become both withdrawn and extremely irritable. Concerts, clubs and the like can depending on the volume drive me absolutely crazy to the point where I'll just leave. I find that only alcohol relaxes me enough to be able to appear normal and that I'm having a good time.

Example: I'm sitting in a local McDonald's by myself and a complete stranger comes up to me and takes a seat at my table, despite their being plenty of empty seats around.

Immediately my spine becomes highly rigid, I pull my shoulders back and generally try to distance myself from this person. Several things run through my mind. What does this person want? Are they just being friendly? Are they attempting to flirt? Are they just trying to get a rise out of me? I stammer while trying to think of the appropriate thing to say. If I can't think of anything, I'll just stand up and leave as quickly as I can without saying a word.

So yeah, that's sorta what I suffer from... haha. It's not all bad, though. I've always found that people with Aspeger's Syndrome or other issues tend to gain something in return, sort of like how someone who is blind will find that their other senses appear heightened and more powerful because they rely on them more. Because of my issues, I've been blessed with a very slightly higher than average IQ and the ability to read and comprehend vast amounts of information in very short periods of time. In 4th grade I was tested and it was found that at the time my reading comprehension skills were equivalent to that of a college graduate. Additionally my ability to remember things that I've read is far above average as well (which is probably the only reason that I'm knowledgeable about 40K). :P

So yeah. The life of someone like us can appear to be tough at first glance, but remember that no matter what we struggle with, if something has been taken away from us we always get something back in return. :)

Katie D

LukeValantine 07-06-09 07:18 PM

When I started this thread I never imagined I would get this much feedback. I was afraid that fear of being singled out or ridiculed would stop others from talking openly about LD in a open, and rational way. It is emboldening to find others have faced some of the hardships I have faced in my own life.
For anyone that's interested in the comprehensive cognitive testing that lead to me being classifieds as having Aspergers I will briefly talk about the abnormalities in my cognitive profile which show some odd peaks, and valleys in my metal profile. Some of said discrepancies are the 140 in spacial awareness, and 80 (Sub norm) in mathematics, with another peak of 120 present in verbal comprehension. The 140 in spacial awareness is strange considering that some afflicted with Aspergers experience clumsiness, or awkward sense of balance (Years of shooting, and martial arts probably helped). However my heart goes out to all those that where/are still bulled for their differences, especially since I was able to avoid open mockery beyond age 14, do to my articulate nature and the general fear others had that I would rip their arms out of their sockets if they angered me (A feat I did once in a wrestling match).

Insane Psychopath 07-06-09 08:16 PM

Quote:

Aspergers and dyslexia.. fun combo that it is.
Yep it fun time all around.

However with the SPD, because of the difficult I had in High School I soon learnt a great skill. Say when you did a test & it ask you to fill in the rest but leave you a clue eg: one word. I would not weaste time reading through the whole stuff, I'd simple look out for the key word.

It like those puzzle where it has a list of words, I can easily spot them out. By haveing a scan though. It basicly take the helpful info.

Just I am able to pick out the key info as it where & just ignore the rubbish as it where.

With Social stuff. I find I am ok that gigs as I tend to focuse on the stage. Though I do not like waiting in line. Hard to exsplain, but with my SPD just never been one for big que of people.

Like wise say I am that the train stastion, I don't like it when people keep walking from one end to another & then wait right in front of you. Or that nosie out of control kid or the group of Neds (chav for English memeber). Just don't really like it when people don't give me personial space.

Same with tourist when I go to GW Edinbrugh (use to work there) when I am painting or gaming, with my SPD.

But as said with this the SPD help as I am focuse in my work as said with my college course. It was also notice when I work in GW Edinbrugh that I did focuse & doing the work. I just tend to suffer a bit in what was called "grey area". If it was in black & white I could focuse & get the job done. But any grey area I'd suffer greatly, as said I suffer from reading people body launge.

Quote:

I find it hard when people assume that he is retarded
It dose pi*s me off to no end when ignorant people treat us/people with disabilty in this way.
Just because we are like this, we should not be complete treated diffrent from other, just simple that they should understand that there some thing we may not like (nose or people give us no personial space) & respect that.

I rememeber a time when I wrote to B&Q to tell them that there applacstion (sp?) by there web site was not the greatess. Just exsplain how I found it hard with the multi question & about 99% of them where the same just said in another way.

I got a phone call from one of there HR & just one of the most insulting & inbreed idiot I ever talk to. Never before had I felt pi*s off.
When they phone it just thing like "do you know what the word helpful mean" five times & tell me that they would exsplain it & the whole attuide. It was the way they acted talking very slow & down to me.

It ended with me telling her to fu*k off & stop being a ignorant person, though I have SPD or if I had any other disabilty, it dose not mean I or anyone for that matter is stupit. I may have a difficult but it dose not mean she should have her head up her own rear & treat me like a complete idiot. I simple sent the letter in to let them know that there applacstion by there web site was a struggle for people who have problem like SPD.
Did not exspect to be treated like a fool.

When I work in a supermarket or GW Edinbrugh I would treat everone the same. One of my answer to a question about someone who may have had a disabilty was. Treat them the same as other customer.
Ask them if they wish help, if not leave them to them self other wise it could upset a person with a disabilty.
As shown with the B&Q person I was really pi*s off, if I had gotten her name then I would have reported her for disability discrimination.

But as said with the asperger it also give us all great strength. Having being that prospect which is a sort of trainging area for work to help people with asperger here in Glasgow. Those who where with me had some great skill be it writen work/wanting to be a reporter to people wanting to play music or become a dsigner in term of product design.
As said with my self & model making as well.

IP

Tim/Steve 07-06-09 09:51 PM

Wow, this is actually really cathartic... I had been told that I had aspergers but my shrink (though not diagnosed; she's a psychology Prof but still not able to officially diagnose it) but it is nice to knwo that other people know pretty much exactly what I feel and its effects. The weirdest part of this thread so far has been pretty much that there has been almost nothing that anyone said hasnt resonated with me on some level- even quite a few that my admittedly pretty rubbish research didnt prepare me for (or- hey, I thought that trait was mine, not the damn aspergers).

Now I'm kinda wondering (mostly through re-reading my own post) if others have the trait of writing in a much more elaborate way thaen they talk: I'm middle class and yes I sound like it (appearing as snobby/aloof sometimes since I'm not getting involved in conversations- I rarely talk if its not a 1-1 conversation). When speaking I just cant seem to keep up with what I want to say and either start to forget simple words (peaks so far are "any" and "water"... there is no way to explain you mean water without using the word and to not sound totally stupid) but when I write I have the time to actually think clearly...
I wouldnt go so far as to say that I can actually express exactly what I mean but I certainly get a hell of a lot closer.

NerdyOgre254 07-06-09 10:37 PM

I sometimes feel sad and frustrated by the fact that I'm not able to integrate with normal people. But nowadays I've just got a near total hate for people.

I can never forgive the bullies and other people who i went to school with - I will hate them now and forever.
There's one in particular that I will devote some time and money to ruining. I'll make sure that he suffers for what he's done to me.

I'm so damaged that a lot of other people pick up on that and just get scared of me. Everything I do gets put in the worst light, and everyone thinks I'm a psychopath.

No amount of counselling is going to cover the shit that's happened and it's effects - maybe i should sue the bastard.

Tim/Steve 07-06-09 11:06 PM

I know how you feel- though its the people that I thought were my friends that really got to me: people who I assumed were bastards being bastards is fine, people you trust stabbing you in the back is an entirely different pain.

Sounds like pretty much everyone thats posted in here are damaged/angry because of bullying, discrimination or simply through mutual misunderstanding- personally I retreat to apathy and cynism rather then anger... but then I'm one of the many who've struggled with depression so I realise that at least anger is a healthier frame of mind.

Katie Drake 07-06-09 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NerdyOgre254 (Post 428952)
I sometimes feel sad and frustrated by the fact that I'm not able to integrate with normal people. But nowadays I've just got a near total hate for people.

I can never forgive the bullies and other people who i went to school with - I will hate them now and forever.
There's one in particular that I will devote some time and money to ruining. I'll make sure that he suffers for what he's done to me.

I totally know what you mean about feeling sad and frustrated. Some days I just won't leave the house at all because of feeling hopeless. The important thing is to try to push oneself even on the really bad days.

As for never forgiving the bullies and such... try to let go of that anger and hatred. It's not a healthy thing to carry around with you all the time. Both are extremely negative emotions and when you're in that mindset, you'll just continue to attract more anger and hate.

Try to realize that no matter how cruel these people were, in all likelihood they didn't truly understand what they were doing. If this happened in high school, realize that even the best of us were still stupid kids back then with very little in the way of life skills or maturity.

Revenge probably won't help either. All you'd really be doing is perpetuating the cycle of negativity. What goes around comes around and that works both ways. He'll get what's coming to him if he hasn't already. If you act on your desires for revenge and do something to him, rest assured that it'll come around and bite you on the ass. It's not worth it.

Quote:

No amount of counselling is going to cover the shit that's happened and it's effects - maybe i should sue the bastard.
Maybe not. I don't know the particular details of what happened so I can't say for sure, but it is important that you continue to get counseling and do your best to continue to live a normal life. Legal action is an option as you do in some ways deserve to be compensated for what you've missed out on, but don't get your hopes up too high - I doubt it'd be an easy case to win and you might even have a hard time finding a lawyer willing to take on the case.

On another note, to everyone - what is it that you actively do on a day-to-day basis to cope with your struggles? In what manner do you take action in an attempt to improve your quality of life?

torealis 07-07-09 09:59 AM

I personally suffer from no learning disorders, but both my parents are, or were, involved in the field. My father is a carer in a daycenter for mentally handicapped adults, and my mother was Head of Special Needs for many many years at a variety of schools.

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but in general, i am very uncomfortable around the handicapped. My only response is that of pity, and i know that's the wrong thing to do, so i avoid the situations as often as i can... So i guess we can feel as awkward as you guys might sometimes?

Also:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim/Steve (Post 428418)
Edit- on a slightly weirder note almost every person at my FLGS is dyslexic... it must be running at 70%+, dunno if this is the same everywhere or just a stats glitch but it is odd.

Interestingly, and again, please don't take this the wrong way, my mother (a highly trained professional on the subject) thinks that dyslexia is overdiagnosed because of a decrease in the quality and focus of teaching of spelling and grammar...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie Drake (Post 428992)
Try to realize that no matter how cruel these people were, in all likelihood they didn't truly understand what they were doing. If this happened in high school, realize that even the best of us were still stupid kids back then with very little in the way of life skills or maturity.

As someone that was a bit of a bully at school, this is one of the wisest things i've heard on the subject.

Tim/Steve 07-07-09 12:05 PM

Yeah, I think its been over diagnosed- some people are obviously very bright and have learning difficulties, others are quite possibly NSS (None Specific Stupidity- read Rob Grant's Incompetence) sufferers who just use dyslexia as an excuse but dont mistake it- just because most dyslexics have problems with spelling, grammer and language it can affect anything (maths, social interactions, how to play draughs... anything), its when it affects everything that it gets a bit dodgy.

torealis 07-07-09 12:14 PM

They used to use the term ESN (educationally sub-normal) as an actual official term...

Alexious 07-07-09 03:39 PM

My heart goes out to everyone in this thread.

Luke, well done. For the record I taught teens with the Asperger/Autism range of learning problems for a number a years. It became a specialty and I found it both the most draining time and most enlightening time of my career as a teacher.

I can only say to those who suffer from such a disorder, that they continue on their chosen paths in life, and that others become more understanding of the disorders and what it means for people to be able to speak about it openly without fear of being made fun of etc.

I always advised my students that places like forums etc were a great place to swap ideas, and have some limited social interaction with others even if it was a web blog, a forum, etc at least once a day.:good:

:good: post LukeValantine.

Galahad 07-07-09 04:08 PM

I'd like to point out how proud I am of those of our members with disabilities like Dyslexia who still take the time and effort to put out clearly written posts. I know that probably sounds petty, of all the things in your life that learning disabilities can impact, how easy it is for a bunch of toy soldier addicts to read your forum posts hardly seems like a big deal, but it's the difference between being defined by a disability and overcoming it.

You can either make excuses, cause a fuss and get haughty when everyone else refuses to bend for your needs, or you can knuckle down, put in the extra effort and overcome. And it is an extra effort, but those of us who do it find it;s worth it in the end.

I was shocked to find Tim/Steve is dyslexic because his posts are always very clear and well written...even when the two of us are going tooth and nail over some pointless rules debate, I always respect his opinion just a little bit more because I can see the effort he puts into conveying it. More so now that I know what a challenge it must be sometimes. (Though it may be that yours doesn't play up with spelling as badly as other things)

I'm only mildly dyslexic and I have to go over my posts a couple of times just to make sure everything's as right as I can make it (and I still miss a bit, the infamous ; for ' substitution I'm prone to I blame on clumsy fingers and a laptop keyboard rather than any disability). I respect anyone who puts a genuine effort into being understood, even if it doesn't come out perfect I can at least tell when they're trying.

It always bothers me to see someone cough up a dozen posts of garbage then blame it on a disability when they get pulled up for it. It seems like 90% of the time they don't have the disability they claim to have, and the other 10% are just so used to playing the pity card that they don't bother putting an effort in.

Dafistofmork 07-07-09 04:57 PM

i struggle (suffer is too strong a word-heck, struggle is) with a very mild form of Asperger's Syndrome (or AS as we call it), specificly with dyspraxia (and a small kick of dyslexial, but that is inqonsiquental).
it largley afects me in 3-4 ways:my hand writing and spelling, soical interactions and co-ordination.
i have difficuty with my hand writing, and often it is disjointed, all of different size and case. it is not only restricted to the pen. when typing i often hit the wrong key, such as the 5 instead of the s, so i would end up with 5omething instead of something. i also can not see how letters come to gether as words at times, and whilst i instantly know if a word is spelt wrong, i can not work out how it should be spelt, even if i spelt it differnetly not 5 minuetes ago.
in social interactions i struggle to understand facial expessions and other sublties, and often i have mistanken frendly banter for bullying. i make myself a victim in this regard. as such i prefer to be on my own with my "fantasy world" as my mum calls it. it is a nicer place. but i do become very...insular and bite off peoples heads a lot when i do that.
my co-ordination has not realy trubled me in years, apart from my handwriting. this is becasue, like all other disabilites, with enough force of will it CAN be overcome, and my willingness (some would say stubboness) to overcome it, and amount to something (my teachers at primary never blevied in me-heck the only people who did were my parents). and now i am waiting for my A-level exam results, so i can finaly say up yours to those who doubted me and go to university and have a full life.

there is also the hearing thing, but i always thought that was just me.
i also have some problem with music. its...complicated, and i dont understand it myself, but it ammounts to all music sounding identical to all other music of the same geunra, and so i "dont like it". but that is like saying i dont like butterflys because they look like moths. its deeper than that.

sorry for the life story. and the poor spelling, but that is just me. normaly i would correct it but i feel to wound up at the moment. sorry.

Tim/Steve 07-07-09 05:38 PM

I know exactly what you mean with regard to the spelling- I use my visual memory to spell: I can normally tell if a word 'looks' right (but sometimes it looks totally alien like I've never seen the word before in my life even if spelt right)... this is slightly weird because in all other respects my visual memory is totally crap (I have no idea which birds are which, could not describe what someone looked like 2 mins after last seeing them and have no talent at all using microscopes to identify minerals- serious problem when you're doing a geology degree).
- although I can spell quite well I am totally unable to spell words in the air (eg when people tell you a word is spelt S P E L L I N G ), I can follow for the first 2 or 3 letters and then just cant keep track... when someone starts swearing by saying the letters I dont normally know what they've said except by assuming its the most common one starting with whatever letter (when its a 4 letter word this is really annoying).

I do have the faintest inkling of what Dafistofmork is saying in regards to music although to nothing like the same degree. Although I love music I almost never buy more then 1 album by the same band: different albums tend to sound identical to me and I get bored easily by them. If I feel like listening to one type of music/album then I'll shove on 1 and be happy to listen to it, having a second album by the same band would be pretty similar to having 2 copies of the same album...
ofc the massive exception to this is Thin Lizzy (my favourite band) which I have 16 albums from (only band I have ever bought a second album for and not been disapointed.. certainly the only band that I have 3+ albums from) but that I think is due to them being so vary varied (rock-blues-jazz in varying amounts)

Hands up those who read Dafistofmork's post and didnt actually notice any accidental spelling errors..?
*gingerly raises hand*

Edit- sods damn law.. in a thread which I talk about spelling I have to edit it 3 times to get it even vaguely spelt right.

Dafistofmork 07-07-09 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim/Steve (Post 429591)
could not describe what someone looked like 2 mins after last seeing them

i know this too well. although that might just be that to vaguley (vagley? vaugley? i think its that last one) understand what they are saying i have to focus on there (thier? their?) mouth and the rest is not taken in.

also, i have a problem concerning routines and change. that is, i do not like my routine beeing changed, even if i dont like it. for example, today (well, an hour ago) we sat down to have tea and my sister sat in my place. felt like someone had grabbed my soul and twisted it slightly. i was only 1 place down than normal, but it realy depressed and upsett and AARRRGGGHHHH me. but i got past it, if not over it and did not mention it because it is a silly little thing that only matters to me.

and if i am forced to go though a change then i get all stressed and frustrated and, well, AARRRGGGHHHH as i am taken out of my comfort zone and thrust in to a new world where i dont know what to do or how to act and its all new and without continuality i feel lost and adrift.
which is a horrible feeling and makes me appear shy and afraid of the unknown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie Drake (Post 428992)
On another note, to everyone - what is it that you actively do on a day-to-day basis to cope with your struggles? In what manner do you take action in an attempt to improve your quality of life?

well, i usely hide in my fantasy and my books but when i come out of it i am even worse than before. i think the best thing to do is to find a group of friends that understand you and sympthise with you (but dont pity-pity implies that they are better than you, even if they mean it in the nicest way possible-they are sorry you can not be like them.) and just hang out. that is the best way. counsling is a waste of money, as it acchives the same end over a longer period of time, and seclusion makes it worse. just live life and soon you are almost normal (as normal as you can be in this world of individuality-when everyone is differnet, what is normal?)

bloody hell that was good.

also, one thing i found is that people did not activly set out to bully me. they did some macho talk, and i did not know how to respond, and often it degraded in to bullying from there. i suspect that some of them did not even susspect that they were bullying me untill i cracked and tried to take on this guy 3-4 times the size of me. and it is too my credit that i can look back at that moment and laugh at it and that i bear the guy no ill will. especialy considering the fact that one of my old bullies (who once punched me in the face) is now dead from drug over dose (and he is (was?) the same age as me). and whilst i dont like him, i dont hate him either.

Katie Drake 07-07-09 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dafistofmork (Post 429632)
well, i usely hide in my fantasy and my books but when i come out of it i am even worse than before.

This isn't what I meant. I'll clarify by providing an example of what I do to get by and improve.

Today I called in to a special resource center inquiring as to where I should call to find an occupational therapist. The reason I'm looking for one of these professionals is because one of the services that they provide is to "coach" individuals that struggle in social situations. Basically, what will happen is that when a Occupational Therapist is assigned to me, the two of us will meet in a public place (preferably somewhere not too busy and crowded to start). S/he will then watch me attempt to engage in a casual conversation with a stranger which is something I struggle considerably to do with any sort of skill. After observing the interaction, my therapist can tell me where I may have gone wrong as far as my own body language, tone of voice and so on, as well as pointing out the meaning of various facial expressions and the body language of the person I engaged with. As I progress, we'll be able to work up to more complex social interactions.

The end result that we're looking for is that I'll be much more at ease in public, around friends and strangers alike. I'll be able to understand people's facial expressions and body language to a degree and will have learned how to gauge people's reactions to me, making others more comfortable being around me.

So, yeah. That's sorta what I meant. More how are people progressing, improving and generally enjoying their lives while dealing with their issues.

Graf Spee 07-07-09 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie Drake (Post 429674)
Basically, what will happen is that when a Occupational Therapist is assigned to me, the two of us will meet in a public place (preferably somewhere not too busy and crowded to start). S/he will then watch me attempt to engage in a casual conversation with a stranger which is something I struggle considerably to do with any sort of skill. After observing the interaction, my therapist can tell me where I may have gone wrong as far as my own body language, tone of voice and so on, as well as pointing out the meaning of various facial expressions and the body language of the person I engaged with. As I progress, we'll be able to work up to more complex social interactions.

The end result that we're looking for is that I'll be much more at ease in public, around friends and strangers alike. I'll be able to understand people's facial expressions and body language to a degree and will have learned how to gauge people's reactions to me, making others more comfortable being around me.

how will this work? is this proven to be effective? cuz this sounds really strange to me. how will you compensate when you accidentially pick someone with similar problems like you have? or just some aggressive idiot. i would react quite beside my normal self if someone i don't know comes along and tries to engage me in a conversation for no reason. don't get me wrong, but people approaching me and start chatting out of the blue normally want to sell me something or are trying to distract me in order to cover that guy that tries to steal my wallet. especially in coffee shops or bars or the like. this happened twice to me already. i've grown quite suspicious to behaviour like that, since i've been too friendly with most people. many of my friends did as well. dunno if this is just a problem with bigger towns but i think a better way would be that the professional you're talking about accompanies you for maybe a week and watches you in situations that simply happen and you have to face in everyday life and does not try to get his impressions from forced engagements from your side like the 'start conversation' you mentioned. dunno if you get my meaning..

Tim/Steve 07-07-09 09:22 PM

Sounds like my idea of hell, but may well be helpful... I wish you luck with it.

I dont have much to do day to day at the minute- Im one of the millions of unemployed in the UK. I finished my degree with a severe bought of depression (only just about finished) and just in time for the lovely economic times... I am quite capable of holding a job and interacting with collegues (though I would hate a large, constantly changing set of collegues)... its just the getting a job part oif this that is causing problems
At least I should have more to do starting next week- I'm volunteering at a local outdoor museum so I will at least have something to get me out of the house.

Katie Drake 07-08-09 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graf Spee (Post 429700)
how will this work? is this proven to be effective? cuz this sounds really strange to me. how will you compensate when you accidentially pick someone with similar problems like you have? or just some aggressive idiot. i would react quite beside my normal self if someone i don't know comes along and tries to engage me in a conversation for no reason. don't get me wrong, but people approaching me and start chatting out of the blue normally want to sell me something or are trying to distract me in order to cover that guy that tries to steal my wallet. especially in coffee shops or bars or the like. this happened twice to me already. i've grown quite suspicious to behaviour like that, since i've been too friendly with most people. many of my friends did as well. dunno if this is just a problem with bigger towns but i think a better way would be that the professional you're talking about accompanies you for maybe a week and watches you in situations that simply happen and you have to face in everyday life and does not try to get his impressions from forced engagements from your side like the 'start conversation' you mentioned. dunno if you get my meaning..

Yeah, I get your meaning. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who need the same sort of help that I do, so they can't exactly allocate me a professional who's gonna follow me around for weeks at a time. It'll probably be a once or twice a week sort of thing.

I do think I might've explained it badly... the way I explained things make it sound so artificial and "forced". Unfortunately I don't think I can provide a better explanation, at least until after I've had a couple sessions.

I'm not worried about people being weirded out by random conversation starting, though. Most of the people in my area (and my country, for that matter) are pretty friendly and talkative people. Being female also helps, as most people (guys especially) would rather talk to a young gal than some random dude.

As for Tim/Steve, good for you on taking up volunteering! I hope it goes well. Thanks for the good wishes, too!

Katie D

Graf Spee 07-08-09 07:31 AM

well, then let's see how it will develop. i'm quite curious.. good luck anyways.

LukeValantine 07-08-09 08:41 AM

Just thought I would chirp in with one last point of interest worth exploring. How many of those who have LD's on this forum go to a university or a technical school, and how are you currently fairing in these places of higher learning?

NerdyOgre254 07-08-09 09:25 AM

Well, I'm studying Computer Science (Games Technology) at Charles Sturt University in Bathurst, and i'm doing... okayish.
I need to do more practice programming, and I need to get in control of my sleeping pattern.

Tim/Steve 07-08-09 09:40 AM

More or less already said but:
went to uni for 5 years; more or less crashed out of first year because of depression and hating the course then switched onto another. Was fine for 2-3 years then suffered from severe depression and only just managed to finish the 4th (I stopped working on my final year dissitation for ~2 months, gave up and left.. got my head a little bit back together enough to go back and finish it off with just a 2 week extension).

Ended up with a 2:1 MSci in Geology (I actually hate rocks, but the maths is great and so is being more or less an expert on global warming). The good was worth going for but the bad was absolutely awful... if I had the choice again I really dont think I would go again, or at least I might have taken a few years out to get a job and then go.

Dafistofmork 07-08-09 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie Drake (Post 429674)
This isn't what I meant.

sorry. i missinterperted you (very easy over the internet:blush:).

any way, i used to do occupational therepy when i was 10-11, but i found it unhelpfull and patronising. then i went to a support group on thursdays, and that helped, but they stoped for some reason. think i grew to old for them. now i just try to get on with life, or hide from it. living in the middle of nowhere with out a bus service doesnt help.

also, can i just take this time to thank LukeValantine for giving me the chance to come out of the woodwork. +rep.

Insane Psychopath 07-08-09 01:41 PM

Has anyone see the news where a person from the UK went into the Pentagon & other top stuff by hacking through the inter-net. They want to try him for being a terriost (sp?).

However he suffer from asperger & all this was the result in his abilty with computer know his way around them. I find charge him with terroist is a bit exstrem.

I think this is the story?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tradition.html

Tim/Steve: I know how you feel with the job interview. As said any feed back I get has alway been I was nervies & not talking a lot. When I exsplain I had SPD a fourm of asperger among other thing, they would reply "ohhh!!" for me it more if they'd ask me during the interview I would tell them about the SPD.
But because I'm focuse on trying to do well in the interview I answer the question they give me & don't tend to say anything else.

Since working with GW, it been a year & I only did a bit of freelance with model making & painting armies for friends.

But with the musiem it should be good for you & look good for the CV :biggrin: So hope it all work out with you

Katie Drake 07-08-09 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dafistofmork (Post 430045)
sorry. i missinterperted you (very easy over the internet:blush:).

Don't worry about it. :) I do it all the time haha.

Quote:

any way, i used to do occupational therepy when i was 10-11, but i found it unhelpfull and patronising.
Hmm, do you think this had anything to do with your age, or do you genuinely feel that it wasn't a helpful form of assistance?

Dafistofmork 07-09-09 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie Drake (Post 430307)
Hmm, do you think this had anything to do with your age, or do you genuinely feel that it wasn't a helpful form of assistance?

a bit of both to be honest. i just didnt like it and it didnt seem to help spending an hour in a small room with this women who tried to get me to pronounce my Ruh's correctly (i have a mild speach impediment which i am stupidly sensitive about) and sort out my hand writing. practicly no help with socilaisation or co-ordination, which are my to bigest downfalls.

Katie Drake 07-09-09 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dafistofmork (Post 430797)
a bit of both to be honest. i just didnt like it and it didnt seem to help spending an hour in a small room with this women who tried to get me to pronounce my Ruh's correctly (i have a mild speach impediment which i am stupidly sensitive about) and sort out my hand writing. practicly no help with socilaisation or co-ordination, which are my to bigest downfalls.

Oh... yeah, that would do it. Speech therapy is one thing, but practicing hand writing really doesn't help socializing skills much. Sounds like they were treating the wrong problems.

b.anthracis 07-15-09 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graf Spee (Post 429700)

One of the major differences which you have to take into account is the cultural background. In Germany it is quiet unusal to engage in a conversation with a total stranger. Katie please correct me if I'm wrong, but in Canada people tend to be more open to such conversations. So it might be a natural thing to practice this.

Graf Spee 07-15-09 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.anthracis (Post 434883)
One of the major differences which you have to take into account is the cultural background. In Germany it is quiet unusal to engage in a conversation with a total stranger. Katie please correct me if I'm wrong, but in Canada people tend to be more open to such conversations. So it might be a natural thing to practice this.

you might have a point there.. and females also have better chances most of the time :grin:

Katie Drake 07-15-09 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.anthracis (Post 434883)
Katie please correct me if I'm wrong, but in Canada people tend to be more open to such conversations. So it might be a natural thing to practice this.

It's more common than other places I've been, yes. We're not as super friendly as some other countries are but most of the time people are willing to engage in friendly conversation.

And yeah, being a gal helps.

Unfortunately I still haven't been able to start this because the organization that's going to hook me up with an Occupational Therapist is making me jump through hoops as far as proving that my condition is legitimate, telling them exactly what I need, etc. Sooner or later, though. :)

inqusitor_me 07-15-09 09:02 PM

As one of the members here who has dyslexia I have tried my hardest to check spelling but I also find useing spell check a pain!
For people that think this is me playing the pity card GTF I don’t mean to be harsh about it I just hate people thinking all the time.
when I was in my teens I use to be a indvdale car worker for kids with disabilities that’s how I meet one of my best friend who suffers from a lot of disabilitys I must admit what gala said I was one of the people that started a fuss on this forum about it due to one of the people on here that was nasty about my spelling and just jumping in and just starting on me witch I am sorry for but I do feel the pain with guys/girls that have dyslexia.
As with my grammar schools in Scotland are shite for teaching grammar.

this has been spell checked lol

Tim/Steve 07-15-09 10:50 PM

TBH I make an effort to spell correctly- I dont bother spell checking but I do often google words to see if they are correct (more often then not I just use a synonym)... if anyone corrects me I normally either ignore them, I long ago past the stage of caring about mispelling random words when it really doesnt matter a damn (if I can be understood then Im happy).

If anyone makes fun out of me for spelling I would report them- taking the mick out of anyone for a spelling error is probably OTT, but if they are dyslexic then I would certainly report it (and would expect the person responsible to get a warning).

inqusitor_me 07-15-09 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim/Steve (Post 435116)

If anyone makes fun out of me for spelling I would report them- taking the mick out of anyone for a spelling error is probably OTT, but if they are dyslexic then I would certainly report it (and would expect the person responsible to get a warning).

You are a calmer man than me I sort of flew off the handle at the person involved I am a very sensitive person about it tbh

AceSage 07-16-09 12:40 AM

Hey, I'd like to say I believe I have a disability, well, maybe disability isn't the right word...irritation, would be better.

The problem I have is my anger, and it's weird, it doesn't surface when I'm around other people, because I tend to be sort of reserved around others I don't know or am uncomfortable with, but it's more with things like, for example, spelling mistakes on forums or if something happens in a game that I don't like, and then continues happening. Now, I have learned to control myself with the internet spelling part, since I have time to calm down before I do anything, but when I'm playing a game I often just shout a little to vent. I think the main thing for me is that I'm a perfectionist. I have to be able to do everything, and I strive to accomplish just that. I've never been tested on it but it's very clear to me. I also have a higher IQ than most, which tends to make people in my school jealous of me, and although they'd never say anything to me because of how I live (gym and martial arts and all), it's obvious that they bitch about me behind my back.

Also, I'm able to perceive things a lot quicker than others as I'm always aware of my surroundings, and people call me nosy, which really annoys me since I have no control over it. For example, I'd be out with a friend in a public place, and I'd hear another person near me say something funny or what not, and I'd bring it up with my friend, and they'd be like 'What are you talking about?' Obviously because they didn't know the other person had said it. And I'd look like an idiot trying to explain.

There's a plus and negative side to everything, I guess :)