Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Wargaming News and 40k Rumors (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/34-wargaming-news-40k-rumors/)
-   -   Planet Strike review. (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/wargaming-news-40k-rumors/39010-planet-strike-review.html)

LordWaffles 06-26-09 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingElessar (Post 420764)
Obliterators.

They were far better last edition.

But yeah planetstrike looks like loads of fun.

TheKingElessar 06-28-09 11:39 AM

You're telling me! 48 Strategems, most of which are at least okay, some of them being actually very nice indeed. Of course, you hate Orks, so the 'Unstoppable Waaagh!' won't please you...'Blasphemous Broadcast' (the CSM Strat) isn't that great in of itself, but makes for some very nice comboes...

Dafistofmork 06-28-09 12:35 PM

ageis defence lines with defending orks! "rite lads, wes goin' ta stand behin' dis wall, and whens dey get close... Waaaggghhhh!"
serriously, you get a 4+ cover save from them, 2+ if you go to ground, 1+ if you have that special rule that is +1 to your cover save. add in some dreads, a SAG and lootas, and orks will be unmoveable.
add in the quad autocannons that can go into "overwatch" and shoot at the end of your opponents move phase and the lascannon that can shoot down Deep Strikers (i think anyway) who needs to be the attacker?

mind you, you do get to drop space ships on the enemy if you are the attacker. and the laserburn is very nice. and stormboys DS into the heart of the enemys force without old zaggy...

TheKingElessar 06-28-09 12:41 PM

Plus Nob Bikes with the good old Sustained Assualt strategem...:wink:

Plus, I can't wait to unleash a Stasis Bomb...or a Planetquake Bomb, or, better yest...a Meteor Strike...:biggrin:

The Necron-only strat though - 'Euclidean Mindphase' - seems like an afterthought...it's dreadful...

Dafistofmork 06-28-09 01:13 PM

let me guess, sustained assult is like without number?

TheKingElessar 06-28-09 03:44 PM

It's one shot, but yes. Think Chenkov...

edd_thereaper 06-28-09 04:12 PM

update on the spear of sicarius, ignore me if this has already been clarified or mentioned somewhere else

1x captain sicarius
1x command squad (5 man)
6x tactical squads (10 man)
4x terminator squads (5 man)
2x dreadnoughts
4x assault squads (10 man)
1x vanguard squad (5 man)
9x drop pods

£610 or 890 euros

cheers

edd

TheKingElessar 06-28-09 05:03 PM

Interestingly, the PS book also lists Kantor's Last Hope, about which I have heard no rumours, perhaps because its content would be well over two thousand pounds...
Pedro
3 Command Squads
4 Captains
5 Chaplains
3 Libbys
9 Land Speeders
3 1/2 Termie squads (one is 3 men strong...)
7 Rhinos
40 'Veteran' Marines, presumably Sternguard
162 Tacticals
37 Assualt Marines
58 Scouts
34 Devvys
20 Scouts
4 Dreadnoughts
3 Vindicators
2 Redeemers
3 Annihilators

tu_shan82 06-28-09 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingElessar (Post 423831)
Pedro
3 Command Squads
4 Captains
5 Chaplains
3 Libbys
9 Land Speeders
3 1/2 Termie squads (one is 3 men strong...)
7 Rhinos
40 'Veteran' Marines, presumably Sternguard
162 Tacticals
37 Assualt Marines
58 Scouts
34 Devvys
20 Scouts
4 Dreadnoughts
3 Vindicators
2 Redeemers
3 Annihilators

And a partridge in a pair tree.

TheKingElessar 06-28-09 05:25 PM

Oh, one more point: With IG, it's possible to get a -5 to the opponent's Reserve rolls. As the attacker. With an ability to make them re-roll any 6's they get in one turn. Oh, and to DS a squadron of Demolishers in the enemy's face. With a re-roll on Scatter. :wink:

tu_shan82 06-28-09 05:30 PM

I can't wait to get my copy, it sounds like a lot of fun.

TheKingElessar 06-28-09 05:47 PM

I think that'll be part of the main problem with it - it HAS to be just for fun. Anyone who plays it competitively is going to lose a lot of friends, very quickly. I mean, that whole -5 to Reserves thing is insane, combined with forcing the opponent to re-roll 6's?!?! On the release date (maybe the day before :P) I'll post a thread detailing what NOT to do in Planetstrike, if you want to play more than once! :)

LordWaffles 07-02-09 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingElessar (Post 423625)
You're telling me! 48 Strategems, most of which are at least okay, some of them being actually very nice indeed. Of course, you hate Orks, so the 'Unstoppable Waaagh!' won't please you...'Blasphemous Broadcast' (the CSM Strat) isn't that great in of itself, but makes for some very nice comboes...

So they skipped CSM strats again? Fantastic.

Any other race specific strats that seemed to do anything? And can you pm me what the CSM one does?