Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Wargaming News and 40k Rumors (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/34-wargaming-news-40k-rumors/)
-   -   Planet Strike review. (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/wargaming-news-40k-rumors/39010-planet-strike-review.html)

admiraldick 06-12-09 11:24 AM

very interesting.

for a long time i've been struggling to get my head around what exactly Planetstrike adds to the game. for most of the 'rumour period' its seemed like little more than a single scenario with some 'wacky' rules thrown in for giggles. now that we're a lot closer, it seems like it genuinely will add something i.e. the chance to play and more involved form of assualt (though whether its a popular something remains to be seen).

i think the long term success of this game will depend on how balanced it is. if its infinitely more fun to be the assaulter (and so far it looks like it might be) i think that things might fall flat quite quickly.

also, it will be interesting to see where GW go from here. will they ever return to small more focused games, like ship-to-ship assaults or kill-team? or possibly produce more books on environments (like City Fight, Codex: Catachans and the never developed rules for zero-g, airless combat)? maybe they might even produce a 40k version of seige?

Lord Lucius 06-12-09 02:54 PM

this seems like 40k siege to me admiraldick ,and I do miss kill team...
anyway ,I just read the daemon dex ,and it says "the unit in the group that has been chosen to make the daemonic assault arrives on your first turn using the deep strike rules." make off that what you will ,but I(key word here I) say they CAN assault after DS just my opinion:biggrin:

PowerEncarnate 06-12-09 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Lucius (Post 410025)
this seems like 40k siege to me admiraldick ,and I do miss kill team...
anyway ,I just read the daemon dex ,and it says "the unit in the group that has been chosen to make the daemonic assault arrives on your first turn using the deep strike rules." make off that what you will ,but I(key word here I) say they CAN assault after DS just my opinion:biggrin:

if they cant assault then i see them being shredded as soon as they hit the field

space cowboy 06-12-09 05:24 PM

I really like the way that this is shaping up to allow for the introduction to a nice narrative campaign. Start with a Planet Strike game, go with a few regular/cities of death games to represent the mid stages of the campaign, then finish it with a big Apoc game with force and strategics modified based on how the previous games went. That would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Howard

PowerEncarnate 06-12-09 05:46 PM

im wondering how viable it would be to have a game that based on the narrative would need either PS and CoD or PS and Apoc to do justice? Or all three? For instance mass landing of an entire marine chapter on a hive world that the heritic planetary governor has heavily entrinched and fortified, perhaps with the aid of a IW Warsmith and his marines.

killmaimburn 06-12-09 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerEncarnate (Post 410045)
if they cant assault then i see them being shredded as soon as they hit the field

Well I don't think so, seeing as all attackers MUST deep strike, there are just benefits for those with the rule already.
And as we haven't seen the exact wording of the rule (i.e., if it says "all units which could otherwise deepstrike normally...) it is impossible to predict exactly how it will interact with daemonic assault via RAW but it is my feeling that it will be worded such that only units who actually HAVE the special rule will benefit.

Katie Drake 06-13-09 02:50 AM

It's kinda sad when people are having RAW discussions about an expansion that isn't focused on competitive play. :-/

scruff 06-13-09 01:42 PM

Daemonic Assault will allow them to assault on the turn they come in

The Daemon rule I believe specifies everything... the Fearless, the Invun save, the Daemonic Assault...

Still, looking good! Hunt down the CSM asset, and i'll +Rep you immensely

godzy 06-14-09 12:59 AM

Hadn't anyone think of the hell that an inquisitor with two sages will unleash on first turn? any imperial army can get a inquisitor and an inquisitor lord, for not too much.
Yup, this looks like the "KILLY" edition to me.

gawbo005 06-16-09 04:19 PM

if anything there might be an upgrade for deamons that they will be able to use that allows certain units to get the deep strike perk. Those stratagems for deamons might be very useful