Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Picking An Army (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/37122-picking-army.html)

Apoctis 03-13-08 01:22 AM

I would say choose one you want to build and what models you like

Silb 03-13-08 02:35 AM

Price shouldn't be a problem if you're willing to use ebay. You can find nearly everything at a reduced price and some things are ridiculously cheap (like 2 US dollars for 32 dark eldar warriors). You should pick an army based on its fluff, effectiveness in combat, and models; although some armies are hard to use if you're a beginner and aren't recommended. Also, if you have a spacemarines army, you shouldn't get a chaos marine, necron, blood angel, daemonhunter, witchhunter, dark angel, space wolf, or black templar army unless you want to be bored out of your skull.

Carna 03-20-08 12:30 PM

Buy the Battleforce and Codex for each race in WH40k and pick the one you like the best to build a gaming army. That's what I plan to do :good:

Silb 03-20-08 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carna (Post 81736)
Buy the Battleforce and Codex for each race in WH40k and pick the one you like the best to build a gaming army. That's what I plan to do :good:

I have to disagree with buying the battleforce. I mean, if you buy the eldar battleforce but then end up realizing that you hate war walkers, guardians, and wave serpents, then you've just bought 5 dire avengers for 90 bucks (even if you sell the rest on ebay you'll probably end up with a lot less money than you started out with). It would be much easier and cost effective to buy 2 boxes of dire avengers and a couple other units that you like. On the other hand, if nearly all of the units in the battleforce are ones that you like, I would definitely recommend using it to start your army.

Carna 03-20-08 03:35 PM

More like $150 :P Damn Games Workshop and their unfair prices to Australians compared to US/UK/CA. I intend to buy online from gamingfigures.com or a website like that for 40k/LotR things, $150AU from GW or $90 from GF, I know which I'd choose.

delta13 03-21-08 03:13 AM

pick what suites you

i would recomend reading both the fluff and the codex's first before you start buying models...A. if you actually buy the codex's or other fluff books it is not a waste becauwse if noting else you know your enemy...B. it helps you to really decide what army you want to play. because you are going to find tons of interesting facts and facets of all the different armies that will suite your desires as both agamer and a painter/modeler... the only issue i ever found was narrowing it down to a specific group (i.e what chpater or what regimnt or what craftworld) but never fear the fluff always helps...lol i would also agree wirth something that "son of Horus" said you also have to decide do you want to be a gaming god or jsut have some fun and taylor your army to look good and have a great background and not worry so much about winning but playing a great army:ok:

Elemental_elf 03-21-08 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delta13 (Post 82251)
i would recomend reading both the fluff and the codex's first before you start buying models...A. if you actually buy the codex's or other fluff books it is not a waste becauwse if noting else you know your enemy...B. it helps you to really decide what army you want to play. because you are going to find tons of interesting facts and facets of all the different armies that will suite your desires as both agamer and a painter/modeler... the only issue i ever found was narrowing it down to a specific group (i.e what chpater or what regimnt or what craftworld) but never fear the fluff always helps...lol i would also agree wirth something that "son of Horus" said you also have to decide do you want to be a gaming god or jsut have some fun and taylor your army to look good and have a great background and not worry so much about winning but playing a great army:ok:

That is some sound advice! :good:

I wish I had done this before buying all my models. $22 is a small price to pay to have sound of mind and a plan. :)

silvarius 03-21-08 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Knight (Post 70466)
why dus noone collect dark eldar as i am thinking of collecting them.

most people don't like the models because most of them are metal and in blisters making them quite exspensive and the fact that there rules are quite old doesn't really help, but i know one or two people who play Dark Elves and there armies are ok

Otep 03-22-08 09:02 AM

if only i saw this before i started getting SOB... i do love them though :) so willing (and at times eager) to die for the God Emperor

Acts of Faith are quite nifty too :P

delta13 03-23-08 12:41 PM

well i will say that in the end it all comes down to YOU no matter what people say on here (no offense or disrespect intended)or who ever you play with. you will her all kinds of nifty things about all kinds of units and armies but ultimatly it is up to you and your own personal preferences...