Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Picking An Army (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/37122-picking-army.html)

nevynxxx 02-12-12 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingElessar (Post 1159660)
With it being generally accepted that 6th Edition will be released in the summer, starting any of the FOURTH Edition armies this year would be a tremendously bad idea in my opinion.

I'd go the other way on that. Being old, they are likely to get updates in 6th sooner, so you'll actually be playing an army designed for the rules.

At lest that's my hope, having just started to collect Tau!

I figure keeping close to the battleforce units should be a safe bet...

TheKingElessar 02-12-12 04:21 PM

If you stick to plastic stuff, and magnetise weaponry, sure, whatever you get will probably still be useful - the issue being that you don't know if 'soon' is 'soon enough' or if they'll get fucked over like the Sisters. :(

CattleBruiser 02-12-12 05:41 PM

S71GGY, if you want an army that goes for a headlong charge then orks are probably a good idea (at 1500 points you can easily have 180 models (6 squads of 30 boyz with a nob and power klaw) and still have a couple hundred points left over. I'd also recommend a tyranid army (which can be more numerous than an ork army) or a blood angels army with a lot of assault marines (which are a lot faster and have 3+ saves)

S71GGY 02-12-12 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleBruiser (Post 1159779)
S71GGY, if you want an army that goes for a headlong charge then orks are probably a good idea (at 1500 points you can easily have 180 models (6 squads of 30 boyz with a nob and power klaw) and still have a couple hundred points left over. I'd also recommend a tyranid army (which can be more numerous than an ork army) or a blood angels army with a lot of assault marines (which are a lot faster and have 3+ saves)

the only problem i have with orks is my brother collected them many years ago and i like to be different to him and from what im hearing they are going to have a new codex out so dont wanna get half way through building to find them pointless ? im really quite new to this so im going to be slowly picking it up bit by bit.

S71GGY 02-12-12 10:43 PM

Right after alot of time looking and thinking how i want my to look, i decided to stick with the original plan and build a Ultramarine Army, thankyou for this thread it was a great help and gave a great insight into what strengths and unique qualities each army has. Roll on payday :laugh: !

Evil Pickled Eggs 04-28-12 04:15 PM

even though i already have an army i would have wanted to have seen this before i picked an army

d3m01iti0n 06-05-12 07:11 PM

I picked Black Templars because I like their image and tactics. Being two updates behind wont stop the Black Tide =)

Antonius 06-06-12 10:56 AM

I picked Imperial Guard as my 2nd army, because after developing an SM army (VERY VERY weak one at that), i fell in love with tanks and all things with an AV. Plus i find that the Russ Tank looks like a tank's tank (ie a "proper" tank), and that the whole "Mehtal Bawkses" theme was what i liked (yes i know, Chimeras are what i call Mehtal Bawkses: Deluxe edition). Imperial Guard allow you a great range of tactical options, and do mech perhaps better than SM, and can do horde well. Hell, even with the classic platoon structure, you can still go mech or hybrid (and can still be effective - AND VERY CHEAP pts wise).

However, i love the army, but remember that you might be breaking the bank for it.

Plus for the savvy shopper who goes the Full Foot route:
Instead of buying 2 Infantry squads, get 1 Infantry Squad box and then get 2x 5man painting boxes - you get enough Specials, Voxes and Sergeants for 2 squads, and it works out considerably cheaper.

Cheapass meltaguns (for the competitive meltavet player): Raid your bitz box for Multimeltas as well as meltaguns (Russ kits are ideal for this). Simply cut off the stubs of the flamers, and stick some melta stubs from the MM onto the flamer, cutting off the pipework and not including any fuel tanks. Makes 4 Meltas for no additional charge (and i don't like metal meself due to a constant case of losing superglue).

Antonius
ps: IG are also well represented by cool IA stuff as well, so don't feel limited by the options in the IG codex (lack of static artillery, aircraft, Superheavies etc)

The Sturk 07-03-12 04:29 PM

My first (and currently only) army is Necrons. They were unique in my gaming group in that no one had them. Plus I liked the look and theme of the army. A horde of undead robots where 50% of the time (before their codex update), they got back up.

And now Necrons are one of the more powerful armies around due to their codex update and the BRB update.

Warlord_Winters 12-11-12 05:11 PM

I'm going with Necrons when i can start getting a good income. in the future maybe Tau, IG, Orks, or Eldar. is there going to be an update on the 1st post to reflect 6th Edition changes?