Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Picking An Army (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/37122-picking-army.html)

TygerScorpion85 01-20-12 06:25 PM

still can't choose :headbutt:
there all awsome:biggrin:

jonathan8940 01-30-12 06:28 AM

This is very informative post. Keep it up.

dylan 01-31-12 01:39 AM

you should do spacemarines

Quote:

Originally Posted by TygerScorpion85 (Post 1145102)
still can't choose :headbutt:
there all awsome:biggrin:

PROxASSASSINx 02-01-12 03:11 AM

I have it down to four armies, Dark Eldar, Grey Knights, Necrons and Orks. They are the only ones not being used in my gaming group. What are the advantages of each and which one would win the most games easily.

TheKingElessar 02-01-12 09:55 AM

Dark Eldar use speed and blistering anti-infantry fire, though their ability to reliably destroy enemy vehicles is limited. Damage, yes but destroy not so much.

Grey Knights have troops that are solid(ish) in combat and pretty good at shooting, but also lack Melta weaponry and have rather expensive choices that preclude shoehorning in everything you'll find you want. It's easy to make a bad army list with GKs.

Necrons suffer the same cost issues as GKs, though they can have greater ranged (ie, over 24") capacity than GKs - Melta is again an issue, and writing bad armies is even easier.

Ork aren't worth buying until their next Codex, possibly even then.

Grokfog 02-01-12 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centurius (Post 1139324)
I've recently come back in to the hobby, having been out of it for about 14 years. Ive been regularly reading black library books though so kept up on some of the fluff. Over the last 3 months Ive bought a few random minis off of ebay (all SM models) and am seriously undecided as to which chapter to use. I'm toying with the idea of LOTD, as I managed to pick up centurius quite cheap and Ive got a couple of other LOTD models that have come with others. Ive got Marneus calgar, a tactical squad and 2 squads of terminators plus a few blood angels terms from the newest version of space hulk. As well as these I have 2 dreadnaughts and a bike squad. I like the look of the LOTD army but am unsure as to whether or not to do something different like their predecessors the firehawks?? what do you guys think?? Im gonna take some snaps of what I have soon and start to make a project log.

Also credit to you guys, Ive read through all 21 pages of this forum this morning and for me there is loads of helpful advice here!!

I say go for it. I used the vanilla marine codex for my Legion army :)

As a taster, say hello to Longinus, my LotD Chapter Master

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_0010.jpg

I would like to point out this was done some time ago, and my painting has improved, but i just can't bring myself to redo him yet...

centurius 02-09-12 09:42 AM

nice!!
I have enough models now to maybe try for both firehawks and LOTD!!
I have posted some pics up in the painting forum of my first atempts in 17 years!!

S71GGY 02-12-12 12:15 PM

This has helped me in many ways but was set on starting an UM army but now im considering orks just for the mass numbers and Close combat craziness... its a tough choice and i got until march to decide !. :scratchhead:im not sure. The cost for now isnt an issue so i dont have that problem luckily. Any opinions guys?

TheKingElessar 02-12-12 01:35 PM

With it being generally accepted that 6th Edition will be released in the summer, starting any of the FOURTH Edition armies this year would be a tremendously bad idea in my opinion. That rules out;
Orks
Eldar
Tau
Black Templars
Dark Angels
Chaos Space Marines
Chaos Daemons

Obviously if being competitive isn't a concern for you, then don't worry so much about it - but still be aware that those armies are (theoretically) due an update, and so may be getting new models and losing some options in the next 18 months or so... Probably 3 or 4 of them will be revamped in that time, so picking one is playing army book lottery.

S71GGY 02-12-12 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingElessar (Post 1159660)
With it being generally accepted that 6th Edition will be released in the summer, starting any of the FOURTH Edition armies this year would be a tremendously bad idea in my opinion. That rules out;
Orks
Eldar
Tau
Black Templars
Dark Angels
Chaos Space Marines
Chaos Daemons

Obviously if being competitive isn't a concern for you, then don't worry so much about it - but still be aware that those armies are (theoretically) due an update, and so may be getting new models and losing some options in the next 18 months or so... Probably 3 or 4 of them will be revamped in that time, so picking one is playing army book lottery.

I noticed that is being mentioned quite regularly, i was keen on collecting UM but just been talking with a few friends and he mention Space wolves. Im not to sure how to play the game but will be learning as i collect, my intention was have an army what goes for a head on charge. After reading up on these Space Wolves they quite interest me . Any info on these would be greatly appreciated.
I was keen on orks but as you mentioned it would be army book lottery to start now.