Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Picking An Army (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/37122-picking-army.html)

Green Knight 02-29-08 09:30 AM

I have won my first 3 games. The armys i was against was choas space marines, eldar ,and space marines.

thomas2 02-29-08 05:10 PM

You won your first 3 games?!?:shok: With Dark Eldar? I saw them in a game against Space Marines and completely shocked how they die like guardsmen but cost more like Tau or even marines. I thought the Marine player was dead when a commander and Wyches got out a transport near them, but either they were out of range or the vehicle wasn't open-topped as they didn't assault and ALL died in a single turn of just ONE squad firing on them. I haven't even got 3 victories in about ten games with "beginner armies".

SyNide 02-29-08 07:01 PM

Lol, nice one! Of course theres always an exception to every rule. Thomas, DE are very fragile(the most fragile army in the game), but they are very fast and very painful.

coldstuff64 02-29-08 09:21 PM

i want to start an eldar army, but i only have $40. what is a good thing to get?

SyNide 03-01-08 02:05 AM

Well, what is good to get? The codex. That will give you an idea of what the army is about fluff-wise, from there you can see what units you like.

Eldar are fast, have hell of a lot of shots, and its' specialized cc units are very good. And they're much more durable than Dark Eldar. note that if you join GTs, your sportsmanship scores would suffer because many people see the Eldar army as a "cheesy" army.

ThePelt 03-01-08 03:06 PM

what is so "cheesy" about them?

coldstuff64 03-01-08 09:51 PM

i think its because they are pretty much flashy, but in close combat, they aren't that good.

foulacy 03-02-08 12:19 AM

Wow! 3 games on the trot with :O DARK ELDAR AND YOUR A BEGGINNER. Well done lol.

well to army starters how i broke mine down at first was, do i like xenos or imperium type armies including chaos.

then thought hmmm do i like to be the honourable defend your world at all costs good guy, or raghhhhh im gona kill you all for fun.

so natually i choose chaos. then narrowed it down to death guard nurgle once more by reading on the fluff and looking at what models i liked the look of.

SyNide 03-02-08 03:52 AM

Whats so cheesy about Eldar? Nothing really, as cheesiness is subjective. Some would say they are cheesy because of the unkillable falcon loading with Harlequins or firedragons. Others might say the Fire prisms. Personally, i'm fine with eldar.

Pickle 03-02-08 05:02 AM

Maybe we could bulk out each army, like a basic army to buy to get started like:

Necrons

Battleforce

Put in simple words, buy this and you will on your way to making a Necron army. It contains twenty Warriors, three Destroyers and five Scarab Swarms. So essentially by buying this Battleforce, you have your two complusory troop choices of Warriors (ten in each unit). The three Destroyers, a great unit for long range support for a beginning Necron army. The five
Scarab Swarms provide the speed and assault bite, you need. Overall the Battleforce is a great deal considering, it would cost you: $35 USD per Necron Warrior box and $20 USD per Destroyer. Just buying this separately would cost you $95 USA, which is more than the Battleforce, and you’re getting eight less Necron arriors and two Less Scarab Swarms.

Three Battleforces will provide you with sixty Warriors, nine Destroyers and
fifteen Scarab Swarms for $240 USD from GW, but if you go online, stores like Wargaming World can provide a 20-30% discount. This may seem like a lot to start with but it provides you with the basis of a full 1500 point army. You probably wont use all this stuff so here's some tips to save more money by converting. You've just save around $75 USD.

Conversion Tips

Heavy Destroyers = Destroyers with bigger guns, Yes? Well, get using your imagination and convert three Destroyers into Heavy Destroyers. Extend the guns, bulk them out.

Do you really need sixty Warriors? I think not. Convert 8 or so into Flayed Ones, by reposing them and making some claws, sculpt some flesh onto there backs. Convert another 8 or so into Immortals, modify the gun, bulk their shoulders out and you've just saved over $150 USD by creating your own Flayed Ones and Immortals.

You could buy a Lord or convert one. Depends if you want to, as those models are really nice and its only one model.

Models generated from the three Battleforces.

1 Necron Lord (Modified from a Necron Warrior)
8 Immortals (Modified from Necron Warriors)
8 Flayed Ones (Modified from Necron Warriors)
43 Warriors
15 Scarab Swarms
6 Destroyers
3 Heavy Destroyers (Modified from Destroyers)

Reasonable force isn't it. By buying more stuff like Wraiths, Destroyer Lord and a Monolith, you could end up with something similar to this list.

Necron Lord Points:
Destroyer Body, Resurrection Orb, Warscythe

Immortals Points:
6 Immortals with Gauss Blasters

Flayed Ones Points:
8 Flayed Ones with Claws

Warriors Points:
12 Warriors with Gauss Flayers

Warriors Points:

Warriors Points:

Wraiths Points:
3 Wraiths with Barbed Tail, Claws

Monolith Points:

1500pt

And still have models left over, to mix in and run in a 2000pt list. Overall the first purchase of three Battleforces may seem a lot but it isn't really.

Hope this helps for an example and other people looking into Necrons, I might be able to do this for most armies if you want.