Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Picking An Army (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/37122-picking-army.html)

Troajn 05-13-09 10:16 PM

Thanks for the reply, I will probably stick with the DA colours as I like the variety between the different squads. But at least I know now.

Cheers

Calamari 05-19-09 10:12 PM

A guide to choosing your 40k army

Ok this is supposed to be a guide for anyone looking to start a new 40k army (duh). I got the idea from Squeek's guide in the Fantasy section but this part is kinda lacking one. This is a bit of WIP so any C&C is welcome. Ok here goes:

To be able to choose what army you would like there are a few things that you need to decide that you like in your army, fluff, strong in a certain phase ect. Bearing in mind that almost all armies can be tooled up to play anyway you like I'm writing this guide based off of the general flavour of said army otherwise you won't narrow down your choice at all :)

Firstly consider the looks of an army, it is pretty much an accepted fact that if you don't like the models in a particular army then you won't be interested in it and get bored very quickly. Now, this is completley personal taste here so I can't help you at all :P

So what is most important to you?
Gameplay: go to question 1
Cost (financial): question 2
Fluff: question 3
Ease of play: question 4

Gameplay

1) In a game what is most important to you?

A) Winning at all costs (ie most competative Tourney army): Imperial Guard, Tau, Orks, Space Marines

B) Super, elite units: Chaos Space Marines, Space Marines, Deamonhunters

C) Hordes: Orks, Imperial Guard

D) Strong movement: Eldar, Tau, Dark Eldar

E) Strong shooting: Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Tau, Necrons

F) Strong assault: Chaos Space Marines, Deamons of Chaos, Orks

Cost

2) How much money are you willing to spend?

A) Cheap: Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Necrons

B) Middle Ground: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau, Deamons of Chaos

C) Epensive: Deamonhunters, Witchhunters, Imperial Guard, Orks, Tyranids

Fluff

3) What kind of background fluff do you like? (Bear in mind that this is a gross generalisation because all the armies are different)

A) Good, ish: Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Deamonhunters, Witchhunters, Tau, Eldar

B) Evil, or just nasty: Chaos Space Marines, Deamons of Chaos, Orks, Dark Eldar, Tyranids, Necrons

Ease of play

4) What is your general skill level?

A) Begginer (forgiving armies): Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Necrons

B) Intermediate (require some skill): Tau, Imperial Guard, Tyranids, Deamons of Chaos, Witchhunters, Deamonhunters, Orks

C) Expert: (need a lot of skill to use well): Eldar, Dark Eldar

Obviously any army can be played to any skill level but this is a general guide to help make an appropriate choice, for example, I'm not a brilliant player, I would struggle to use Eldar well.

Please let me know if I missed anything or you think I have mistake somewhere.

Enjoy :)

TheKingElessar 05-19-09 10:44 PM

I think the 'competitive army' bit is a bit off...IMO the ranking of armies by competitiveness is thus : SM>Imperial Guard>Black Templars>Chaos=Eldar=Orks=Tau=Witchhunters>Dark Eldar=Tyranids>Necrons=Daemonhunters=Space Wolves=Daemons=Blood Angels>>>>> Dark Angels

Though, I think I left someone out...and obviously this varies depending on list, and when Codexes are replaced it will fluctuate. At the minute though, I believe it's accurate.

Culler 05-20-09 01:19 AM

I'd say that Orks, SM, Chaos, IG, Tau, and Eldar are all most capable of fielding competitive armies right now. It's Dark Eldar, Witch Hunters/Grey Knights, and Necrons that probably have the most difficulty playing at a competitive level.

Calamari 05-20-09 01:36 AM

Hmmm ok I'll change that then, I was going by the general feeling on Heresy that SM are easy to play but in most GTs they do realy bad.

No worries I'll update.

The Son of Horus 05-20-09 01:49 AM

This section actually has a long-standing thread about army selection, which has been stickied. I'll merge your posts with the original thread.

Rayza 05-31-09 01:12 PM

i wish i would have read this before i started on my eldar amy because now i wanna change becuase just to fragile for my playing style so now im going onto ork an i jus wasted time an money becuase of a bad descion

Inquisitor Varrius 06-02-09 04:29 PM

My sympathies. I dropped out of 'Nids and yeah, it stinks to ditch an army. On the other hand... orks are the coolest Xenos army out there!

Heavy Sniper 06-16-09 03:48 AM

This actually made me think about a Dark Eldar Army, but I have a question.
Did the new codex come out yet? Because I haven't really looked at them in awhile.

TheKingElessar 06-16-09 11:26 AM

No, no new Codex yet, and it's rumoured to have been postponed to late next year.