Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   Lionel johnsons "the dark angels" (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/3660-lionel-johnsons-dark-angels.html)

ArcAngels 11-27-07 09:39 PM

Lionel johnsons "the dark angels"

DARK Angel, with thine aching lust To rid the world of penitence: Malicious Angel, who still dost My soul such subtile violence!
Because of thee, no thought, no thing, Abides for me undesecrate: Dark Angel, ever on the wing, Who never reachest me too late!
When music sounds, then changest thou Its silvery to a sultry fire: Nor will thine envious heart allow Delight untortured by desire.
Through thee, the gracious Muses turn, To Furies, O mine Enemy! And all the things of beauty burn With flames of evil ecstasy.
Because of thee, the land of dreams Becomes a gathering place of fears: Until tormented slumber seems One vehemence of useless tears.
When sunlight glows upon the flowers, Or ripples down the dancing sea: Thou, with thy troop of passionate powers, Beleaguerest, bewilderest, me.
Within the breath of autumn woods, Within the winter silences: Thy venomous spirit stirs and broods, O Master of impieties!
The ardour of red flame is thine, And thine the steely soul of ice: Thou poisonest the fair design Of nature, with unfair device.
Apples of ashes, golden bright; Waters of bitterness, how sweet! O banquet of a foul delight, Prepared by thee, dark Paraclete!
Thou art the whisper in the gloom, The hinting tone, the haunting laugh: Thou art the adorner of my tomb, The minstrel of mine epitaph.
I fight thee, in the Holy Name! Yet, what thou dost, is what God saith: Tempter! should I escape thy flame, Thou wilt have helped my soul from Death:
The second Death, that never dies, That cannot die, when time is dead: Live Death, wherein the lost soul cries, Eternally uncomforted.
Dark Angel, with thine aching lust! Of two defeats, of two despairs: Less dread, a change to drifting dust, Than thine eternity of cares.
Do what thou wilt, thou shalt not so, Dark Angel! triumph over me: Lonely, unto the Lone I go; Divine, to the Divinity. Lionel Johnson

how did this inspire the chapter? it was about lionel being a homosexual, El'jonson wasnt gay or maybe thats why he sent luther back to caliban, couldnt stand to see his lover die, oh wow where am i going with this, any thoughts

http://www.theotherpages.org/poems/line-201.gif

Dirge Eterna 11-27-07 09:46 PM

None that I'd like to have swimming around my brain, but I would say that El'Johnson is BASED off the poem, not taken straight from it.

-Dirge

Red Orc 11-27-07 09:47 PM

The Wraithlord 11-28-07 02:12 AM

Moved to Fluff

The Wraithlord
Heretical High Council

Bloodhound 11-28-07 07:30 AM

I understood very little of it cause of the 'thee and thou' ans such, but out of what I did, it was pretty good.

Also, It's Lion El'Johnson.
His name is Lion, not Lionel.

ArcAngels 11-28-07 01:24 PM

hahahaahah dude this is a peome written by a real author who became the basis for the dark angels chapter and primarch, lionel johnson is a real person, lion EL'johnson is the primarch lol

Bishop120 11-28-07 02:48 PM

I dont understand how this poem is about being gay.. though I couldnt understand much of what was said as it sounded like rambling to me. But I do see how it could have been the inspiration of the Dark Angels and Lion El Johnson.

cerrakoth 11-28-07 04:21 PM

This is the inspiration for Lion el because GW say he was based on a guy named lionel johnson so this fits the bill=]

ArcAngels 11-28-07 04:37 PM

and that guy lionel johnson was a gay writer who feared people knowing of his homosexuality so he wrote poems like the dark angels to express how he felt. im just trying to see how GW took a repressed homo and made such a courageous hero like the lion out of his pansy little poem

Bishop120 11-28-07 06:37 PM

Maybe Lionel Johnson was a friend of one of the developers or maybe one of the developers is gay and liked the poem.. Maybe it was just on a list of 100 random suggestions and they threw darts at it..