Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   Chaos Grey Knights (something that makes sense) (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/34818-chaos-grey-knights-something-makes-sense.html)

World Eater XII 04-23-09 08:07 AM

I think a using the GK codex with a daemonic/chaos twist to represent say abbadon's elite termies/retuine, would be easier instead of trying to jump and break the "no GK has ever fallen to chaos" bandwagon.

Red Orc 04-23-09 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupercal101 (Post 368994)
But then their not grey knights...

...which is the point. Chaos doesn't have Grey Knights. Therefore, if you want to field them as a Chaos force, they're not Grey Knights.

We're all suggesting that instead of thinking "how can I justify Grey Knights falling to Chaos?" ie "how can I make something that's explicitly never happened in the 40k universe happen?", a better way of looking at is "what could be a Grey Knight equivalent for Chaos?" and having an elite Chaos army with Daemonic Halberds and Warpcannons and Black Crusaders (actually, I really like the idea of Black Crusaders... yoink! - the sound of me stealing my own idea...) and such like.

:by the book cyclops:

Talos 04-23-09 11:56 AM

If you are doing count as I good count as for the psycannon would be the Old Kai gun which fires the hatred of the user at the enemy.
I dont believe at all that a GK cant fall to chaos.
In daemon world a GK very nearly does fall to Chaos and this guy is a badass GK. If a normal GK was put in his position it would have either died or turned.

Eliazar 04-23-09 03:19 PM

I agree with the notion that Chaotic Grey Knights are not possible, at least not in any numbers that you could field them as an army. I'd say, if you like the Codex, or the challenge of converting Grey Knights to Chaos, go for a "counts as" army.

Further, I think making up a cool theme for an individual "counts as" army is much better and much more rewarding than making up some super-strange, far off explanation just to use the Codex. If I was fighting, say the fallen First Company, I'd say "Hey, cool idea!", but if I was fighting a horde of Zombie Grey Knights killed by a mysterious bomb that left their bodies and equipment whole and resurrected by an evil space necromancer of Chaos, I'd say "OMG..."

Klomster 04-23-09 03:50 PM

The most simple thing to do is this.

Theese are my chaos dudes.
They are strangely similar to grey knights, with deamon halberds, knight style helmets and deamonic mutations.

They are not grey knights but have things that makes grey knights cool.

It's not even worth trying to get anyone to think "they are chaos grey knights" even chaos players would agree with loyalists in that scenario.

With the strangely similar way of doing it though, you can even use the gk models.
Just chaosify them enough and remove all gk heraldry.

I say this as an devoted grey knight player.

Lupercal101 04-23-09 11:29 PM

I'm not trying to break the 'no grey knight has ever fallen to chaos bandwagon', but as i said before the first grey knights could have been faulty, so the Imperium tried to destroy them but the grey knights found out before that happened and ran away. they tried t re-enter the imperium but there was a 'exommunate tratoris' on them and they were attack every time they revealed themselves.

it would kind of be like the whole eldar thing where the majority of the group stayed (eldar) true bt some of them went renagaed (dark eldar). Mabye they felt like the emperor had betrayed them by not doing anything to change this an if he was alive/kind/watching he would have seen they were pure. Maybe, like the dark eldar, they didn't devote themselves to chaos but became 'freedom fighters' or mercinaries or something. or maybe they joined chaos un-divided and started there own cult. so then in the game they could be leaders of a rebel army or part of abaddons peronal retinue and stuff like that.

Iraqiel 04-24-09 04:10 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I really think that having an association with fallen grey knights is only a good idea if you like butting your head against a concrete wall - take that as either metaphorical or literal, it doesn't really matter.

It just seems to be an immutable law that grey knights, as a whole chapter, are the most bloody minded and infallible of the emperor's servants. Having said that, has a custodian ever fallen? What if you made your army a chapter of renegades led by a fallen Adeptus Custodes marine who has trained them personally?

Col. Schafer 04-24-09 04:34 AM

How about alpha liegon or someone equaly wierd impersonating grey knights?

Shugotenshi47 04-24-09 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talos (Post 369252)
If you are doing count as I good count as for the psycannon would be the Old Kai gun which fires the hatred of the user at the enemy.
I dont believe at all that a GK cant fall to chaos.
In daemon world a GK very nearly does fall to Chaos and this guy is a badass GK. If a normal GK was put in his position it would have either died or turned.

My take on it is that the only reason why he lived long enough to be put in that position was he was so badass anyone of lesser skill would have been killed a long time before (see spoiler bellow for reasoning). I think that because the only ones that can live long enough to be put in a position where they are broken down to such a level are stronger enough to overcome makes them incorruptible

Spoiler:

such as his battle-brother who was killed in their first fight in the arena

Concrete Hero 04-24-09 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupercal101 (Post 369763)
it would kind of be like the whole eldar thing where the majority of the group stayed (eldar) true bt some of them went renagaed (dark eldar).

Just wanting to point out; Its sort of the opposite with the Eldar. The Dark Eldar are the ones who have stayed with their decadent ways and it is the 'Eldar' who have reformed themselves and changed, DarK Eldar aren't renegade :)