Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/29-off-topic/)
-   -   How to combat the "toys" Argument? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/off-topic/33286-how-combat-toys-argument.html)

when in doubt, shoot! 04-06-09 10:27 AM

How to combat the "toys" Argument?

Hey all :)
At my school warhammer club, we get a lot of instances of passers by wandering in, only for them to see the fat kid in the corner clashing models together and shouting:
"Bang, bang! Aaarghh! You got me!"
There is also one child who doesn't actually collect warhammer, but brings in a box of toy soldiers, sets out scenery and just plays around. It is so embarrasing when someone from outside the club comes in.
This brings me to my question, how do you get rid of (or at least lessen) the idea of fellow pupils (or co workers or whatever) into thinking warhammer isn't just little plastic toy soldiers? Well, I know it is, but how do you make it more....mature...Sounding?

Any witty comebacks or help would be welcome, as the amount of hecklers at my school is insane. :laugh: Thanks!

Fallen 04-06-09 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by when in doubt, shoot! (Post 352202)
"Bang, bang! Aaarghh! You got me!"

Well, I know it is, but how do you make it more....mature...Sounding?

Any witty comebacks or help would be welcome, as the amount of hecklers at my school is insane. :laugh: Thanks!

first dont do those childish sounds, that'll prolly stop them from making fun.

thats how id make it more mature

to stop the hecklers, two options 1) lock the door; 2) kick ass if they dont stop laughing.

i know that these are obvious ways to fix the problems, but their also the easiest and not yet mentioned.

Underground Heretic 04-06-09 01:52 PM

Well, to be honest, it is just little plastic space men. But then football (soccer here in the states) is just running around kicking a ball under arbitratry rules for a pre-determined amount of time. It's a hobby that either you enjoy or don't. I was on athletic teams in high school, before I picked up 40k. Both are mainly to enjoy yourself with friends. If people you don't know don't like it, oh well. That being said, parents can get rather irked, and the ladies aren't always fans.

crabpuff 04-06-09 02:42 PM

If it bothers you sit somewhere else. Regardless of what that kid is doing alot of people are going to think it is childish.

when in doubt, shoot! 04-06-09 03:07 PM

Yeah, he is kinda unpopular :p But it's that sort of person who is always noticed first. How would you promote warhammer at a school filled with yobs?

Greatdevourer 04-06-09 03:48 PM

If you want people to treat you seriously in regards to this hobby, then you are going to have to treat it seriously. That means setting the rules and enforcing them. You have a Warhammer club, meaning that the little child with the toy soldiers has to go.

Callous much? yes, but it's your club and your image and when people walk by, they aren't seeing a hobby where you spend hours crafting each soldier in your army, but a child playing soldiers.

Revelations 04-06-09 03:49 PM

Quote:

A witty come back requires I know what was said in the first place; otherwise it's not so witty. There's nothing wrong with Toys my good man; my guns are toys, my Bike is a toy, women often play with 'Toys' and no one seems to bat an eye at that (although they certain keep them open at the thought).

Many comedians wouldn't be where they are today if they gave into hecklers. Goes for a lot of people and their respective positions. The moment you start ignoring those who judge you the more enjoyment you'll get out of life.

Or you could do what the drama club always used to do; make a big dramatic scene where you embrace the geekdom but come out stronger because the hecklers lose all power over you. I've done it on occassion; their reactions are usually priceless.

Whizzwang 04-06-09 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatdevourer (Post 352475)
You have a Warhammer club, meaning that the little child with the toy soldiers has to go.

or you could actually sit down with him and get him involved in our hobby.

"hey little fat kid (or you know, use his name), so you think those marines, orks, elves, fishmen are cool? How would you like to learn how they ACTUALLY fight and shoot and blow big holes in each others heads?"

Renwold 04-06-09 05:50 PM

If you had the time, you could seriousley confuse the people who are making fun of this hobby by explaining the infinately complex rules which they could not possibly undersatand. The people who make fun of warhammer are not even intellgent enough to grasp the concept, which is why they make fun of it to try and redeem themselfs in others eyes. Also warhammer can be seen as an art, if made and painted well enough warhammer looks very good, and, perhaps then these people would kill to have some warhammer because it looks so great.

Ive also had this experiance from other people , id keep it out of school and stick to after school clubs or meeting up at weekends.

I hope this helps you, it did for me.

lawrence96 04-06-09 05:50 PM

show them the rule book and codexes, everyone knows that toys dont come with that much reading required!

Renwold 04-06-09 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrence96 (Post 352591)
show them the rule book and codexes, everyone knows that toys dont come with that much reading required!

Well said!

also you can point out that you can but second hand warhammer for example 10 and paint it up, then sell for 20

You made 10= your richer than those making fun of you

Greatdevourer 04-06-09 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=Whizzwang;352551]or you could actually sit down with him and get him involved in our hobby.

My impression was that it was a child of 5-10 years of age dropping his green plastic army men on the gaming boards because it was there. Please correct me if I am wrong.

when in doubt, shoot! 04-06-09 08:12 PM

Nope, he's around 11 to 13. First year of Academy (or secondary school or high school or whatever you guys call it) I'd imagine some friends told him about the hobby, and he got the wrong end of the stick.
The club's run by a teacher (at least, she likes to think she runs it, but knows nothing about warhammer and really, she just makes sure we're not too noisy or break anything.) And she definitely wouldn't have me saying ill of anyone. Even this boy.

NurglingStomper 04-06-09 08:21 PM

Tell the hecklers it's fine art. Then show them the price tag for playing, cause C'mon what toy is REALLY worth the amount we spend in Warhammer?

khorneflake 04-06-09 08:37 PM

a kick to the face usually works.

snappy comeback-

"haha you nerds, i bet you dont have a girlfriend"
"at least i have friends, your only friend is your hand :)"

Whizzwang 04-06-09 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by when in doubt, shoot! (Post 352758)
Nope, he's around 11 to 13. First year of Academy (or secondary school or high school or whatever you guys call it) I'd imagine some friends told him about the hobby, and he got the wrong end of the stick.
The club's run by a teacher (at least, she likes to think she runs it, but knows nothing about warhammer and really, she just makes sure we're not too noisy or break anything.) And she definitely wouldn't have me saying ill of anyone. Even this boy.

you could always try and help him out?

Jezlad 04-06-09 09:09 PM

Quote:

The people who make fun of warhammer are not even intellgent enough to grasp the concept, which is why they make fun of it to try and redeem themselfs in others eyes.
Do you honestly believe that?

lawrence96 04-06-09 09:16 PM

i dont think there is really any way to "prove" them wrong when they say its childish ect. best thing is just ignore them or by making fun of yourself, i usuallt find its the best comeback because it takes all "power" out of the insult for example:

"hey you, fattie, you playing with little toy soldiers? hahahaha look at the baby"
"yeah, i'm playing with toy soldiers, how very observant"

chrisman 007 04-06-09 09:29 PM

Just ignore them. Simple.

Ordo Xeno Commander 04-06-09 09:51 PM

or my favourite remark when we have a bunch of wankers walk into our gaming store (which is quite often, unfortunately our store is in the middle of jailbait and wangsta [wannabe gangsta for those who didnt catch it] central) is something along the lines of "watch out guys, don't hurt yourselves, the average IQ level of this room just dropped below room temperature" in a very loud voice.

Skreining 04-06-09 10:03 PM

We usually just call the 7ft tall polish man from the back of the store.

No joke, he's the store manager.

Revelations 04-06-09 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jezlad (Post 352823)

You don't have to believe something for it to make you feel better.

Col. Schafer 04-06-09 10:29 PM

Tell the kid he can either learn how to actualy play or take his bangin somehwere else (I'm all for helping him, but if he dosent want to play the game, he dosent want to play the game) If your teacher has a problom, leave. Take anyone who will come and start your own group, and kick out anyonw who dosent take it serriously enughf for your taste. Start a campaign, put up some posters, and wright somefluff. There will still be scofers, but if you do things right it'll decrese the number.

Most importantly, play the game with people who make it fun.

Haekmo 04-06-09 10:53 PM

in all seriousness, just ignore them, tell the kid if he wants to hang out he has to either play with the correct tools of the trade or leave... ( be polite, never know he might be one of those kids who comes back with a machine gun and shoots everyone).
in a few years you will leave school and look back and think all teasing ect was just pla in childish..
i apoligized at my re-union to a few people for giving them a hard time, cos they did dance or singing or they were nerds (mean time i was playing "nerdy" games on the weekend). everyone grows up at sometime..

Or you could leave a half empty box of corona's at the door and scatter empty stubies around, that will change there peception on you at least a lil.

chromedog 04-06-09 11:19 PM

I honestly have no idea. I have no common frame of reference.

40k started after I left school.
Sure, we had a D&D group at school, but it was for the other nerds (I wasn't a gamer yet).
When I was at uni, we had a games club, but it was mostly a beer and pretzels thing. Play 40k, have a few cold ones.

Still, the only differences with boys and their toys is age and amount of disposable income. Boys will always have toys. They just get more expensive over time.

Renwold 04-07-09 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jezlad (Post 352823)

i do belive that because i have tried to explain the rules of this game to a particular person who tried making fun out of me but was willing to hear me out, he simply failed

Jezlad 04-07-09 10:03 AM

I don't think you can make such a sweeping generalisation based on one specific twat. They make fun of the game because the average gamer is a spotty smelly geek - dont ask why, I really don't know. Video gamers used to be looked at in the same light until recently gaming became cool - I think we're the replacement target :laugh:

Renwold 04-07-09 10:11 AM

Fair enough, and warhammer as we know is evolving into videogames aswel, so the abuse will surely stop soon

admiraldick 04-07-09 10:42 AM

Quote:

It is so embarrasing when someone from outside the club comes in.
This brings me to my question, how do you get rid of (or at least lessen) the idea of fellow pupils (or co workers or whatever) into thinking warhammer isn't just little plastic toy soldiers? Well, I know it is, but how do you make it more....mature...Sounding?

surely part of the point of being at school is to learn about the world and how to handle yourself effectively in it? if you really want to feel mature excluding people who you don't think are 'cool' is not the way to go about it. the simple truth is that miniature wargaming is never 'cool' (well, not in an obvious sense). and being 'cool' won't get you anywhere in life, so the sooner you can realise that you don't need to be cool the better (or at the very least that you are cool for being who you are, not how others want you to be).

also, this is a freakin' school. of course there will be kids that find playing with rules too hard. they just like the models and want to use their imagination. that what kids do! everyone starts somewhere and then as they get older and can handle playing with rules better they look to the older 'cooler' kids to give them some guidance or inspiration. i'd think it would be far more mature of you to want to be the guy who helps out people who don't understand than the one who is constantly trying to attain praise from people who are never going to be satisfied. even if your school mates don't appreciate that now, they will do in time.

Quote:

generally speak i don't get much abuse because i don't really fall into the gamer stereotypes, i'm often the only one of my friends that where's casual shirts; but if people do try and mock me or my hobbies i usually let it roll off my back (after all, which is better collecting little toy men or collecting liver damage and penalty points on your license because you go out and drink yourself stupid every night) or i turn it round. if someone says 'so, do you collect an army of little men?' i will often answer 'no. i collect THE BEST army of little men.', that usually indicates that you are not very embarased about you hobby and are perhaps even quite proud of your skills.

and if the very worst comes the worst, and you really just want them to piss off, my friend at uni (who lived with a large house of girls, none of whom 'understood' the hobby), would often retort, 'try to think of it this way, i collect 'little toy men' like you collect sexually transmitted diseases. we all have our hobbies.'

HivefleetIngensus 04-07-09 09:42 PM

I must say I agree with jezlad. 100%. Gamers are always thought as as nerdy, smelly, greasy-faced, acne-loaded guys with braces and glasses. Just think about it. Take movies, the steroetype in those for nerds is the exact same thing.

Any way, the eaisest (and most effective route) would be to not play in school!! I don't, none of my friends have ever heard of the game. Well, I am in a gangster high school, me being not much better than them, so I guess thats why I use that tactic.

Lord Lucius 04-08-09 11:29 AM

wats realy funny was when some proper nerd(yes) with inch thick glasses walks into your club acting all "hard" and mouthing off "oh playing with little toy soldiers are you !fucking retarded that"(yeah coming from a toatal geeky four eyes (I have glasses to so dont take that as an insult!)) and starting to up set this really unstable girl (bad choice , cos if I didnt start on him she would probably slit his throught,or worse).so I square up to him, he takes a swing at me and practically bounces of off me,so I gentley shove him towards the door,and he fell over!! right laugh! jonrocs(on this forum) was there as well he could probably tell you more
so ,to sum up ,just give the hecklers a hiding, show them that not all rpers and war gamers are weedy little geeks

Baalirock 04-08-09 12:41 PM

Models > Toys. Taking pieces of metal and plastic, glueing them together, and painting them to take a unified shape in an army is building models, not playing with toys. I've found that you can take away a lot of the bluster of some people by showing them what you models looked like before they were assembled, and what they look like all assembled and painted. That takes time and talent, yo! :mrgreen:

I also wholeheartedly agree about your little army men straggler. Show him the ropes of the hobby, and try to get him to play. If he likes army men, maybe there's an IG player who will let him control a unit for a battle. If the kid still seems interested, maybe everyone from the club could chip in to get this kid a box of troopers or something. A small amount from everyone could really help him get into the hobby!

CamTheApostle 04-08-09 06:04 PM

I suggest you either a) get a bunch of 20+ soldiers involved in your club who can glare at any who dare insult their precious toys... I mean models; or b) get a shotgun and mount it next to a sign that says "Any who call these models 'toys' will be shot. Survivors will be asked to leave." That ought to shut them up.

Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.

"Violence?" :biggrin: "Yes." :punish:

Spot The Grot 04-08-09 07:11 PM

TBH at the end of the day people like or hate thats just a fact. Nobody in my school know i do the stuff and i'm hoping it remains that way.My mate openly admitted having the stuff and he hasn't heard the last of it. Its all giving into that sort of peer pressure crap.

My bro's school actualy have a warahammer club , i'm gonna join it probably when i join it for 6th form . Its especially better there as its done after school which means no passers by or whatever.There even quite a few teachers that do the stuff.

stardale01 04-08-09 07:49 PM

hi alec i wonder who the fat kid in the coner is?? hmmmmm.. who happens to eat out of a troff????

1)oh well i would say lock the door:)
2)use Tewkesbury as a battering ram:)
3)Put tatty head in frount of the door. Well that would not work because it would block out the light and if sombody had a masher tatty head would die!!!!!!:):):):)

Ordo Xeno Commander 04-08-09 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamTheApostle (Post 355002)
I suggest you either a) get a bunch of 20+ soldiers involved in your club who can glare at any who dare insult their precious toys... I mean models; or b) get a shotgun and mount it next to a sign that says "Any who call these models 'toys' will be shot. Survivors will be asked to leave." That ought to shut them up.

"Violence?" :biggrin: "Yes." :punish:

I must correct this sign

"Any who calls these models 'toys' will be shot. Survivors will be shot again" :mrgreen:

Dafistofmork 04-09-09 11:00 AM

once, in a store, some kid started "playing" with my termies-whilst i was half-way through a game.
what i did was i asked him politly to please stop playing with my modles. solution.

Sarcasm 04-10-09 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamTheApostle (Post 355002)

Lol. Thats going in the sig. And on topic the way to deal with it, as others have said, is simply not to play in school. I don't so i never have a problem with this sort of thing.

CamTheApostle 04-10-09 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dafistofmork (Post 355827)
once, in a store, some kid started "playing" with my termies-whilst i was half-way through a game.
what i did was i asked him politly to please stop playing with my modles. solution.

Good for you, being polite. Depending how much 'playing' was going on, I would probably reacted from a calm, yet stern "Don't touch those" to a very aggravated "What the fuck do you think you are doing?" Slap the kid, deck the parent. Of course, here in the US the hobby tends to be more popular with adult males in their 20s. Soldiers are pretty common where I live. So the little shits... I mean 'children' tend to be a bit more respectful of our stuff. :biggrin:

admiraldick 04-10-09 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarcasm (Post 356755)
Lol. Thats going in the sig. And on topic the way to deal with it, as others have said, is simply not to play in school. I don't so i never have a problem with this sort of thing.

i don't honestly think that is the answer. i think that that just postpones the problem and breeds into the hobby an atmosphere that says its supposed to be mocked (and only those deserving of mockery should play).

i also think that there has been a lot of very bad advice handed out in this thread. clearly threats of violence and attempts at offence are only going land you in even greater piles of mockery. the solution to the problem will never be trying to exclude people.

the real solution is trying to get everyone involved at a level they can cope with. younger players don't need to be 'playing the game' if all they are interested in is the miniatures, and curious on lookers should be introduced positively, not scowled at because they don't smell and have crap facial hair.

of course on lookers are always going to be able to mock you, but if you have a good group of friends that always have fun when they get together, there are going to be far more people that want a piece of the action than people who want a piece of you.