Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/29-off-topic/)
-   -   How to combat the "toys" Argument? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/off-topic/33286-how-combat-toys-argument.html)

Skreining 04-06-09 10:03 PM

We usually just call the 7ft tall polish man from the back of the store.

No joke, he's the store manager.

Revelations 04-06-09 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jezlad (Post 352823)
Do you honestly believe that?

You don't have to believe something for it to make you feel better.

Col. Schafer 04-06-09 10:29 PM

Tell the kid he can either learn how to actualy play or take his bangin somehwere else (I'm all for helping him, but if he dosent want to play the game, he dosent want to play the game) If your teacher has a problom, leave. Take anyone who will come and start your own group, and kick out anyonw who dosent take it serriously enughf for your taste. Start a campaign, put up some posters, and wright somefluff. There will still be scofers, but if you do things right it'll decrese the number.

Most importantly, play the game with people who make it fun.

Haekmo 04-06-09 10:53 PM

in all seriousness, just ignore them, tell the kid if he wants to hang out he has to either play with the correct tools of the trade or leave... ( be polite, never know he might be one of those kids who comes back with a machine gun and shoots everyone).
in a few years you will leave school and look back and think all teasing ect was just pla in childish..
i apoligized at my re-union to a few people for giving them a hard time, cos they did dance or singing or they were nerds (mean time i was playing "nerdy" games on the weekend). everyone grows up at sometime..

Or you could leave a half empty box of corona's at the door and scatter empty stubies around, that will change there peception on you at least a lil.

chromedog 04-06-09 11:19 PM

I honestly have no idea. I have no common frame of reference.

40k started after I left school.
Sure, we had a D&D group at school, but it was for the other nerds (I wasn't a gamer yet).
When I was at uni, we had a games club, but it was mostly a beer and pretzels thing. Play 40k, have a few cold ones.

Still, the only differences with boys and their toys is age and amount of disposable income. Boys will always have toys. They just get more expensive over time.

Renwold 04-07-09 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jezlad (Post 352823)
Do you honestly believe that?

i do belive that because i have tried to explain the rules of this game to a particular person who tried making fun out of me but was willing to hear me out, he simply failed

Jezlad 04-07-09 10:03 AM

I don't think you can make such a sweeping generalisation based on one specific twat. They make fun of the game because the average gamer is a spotty smelly geek - dont ask why, I really don't know. Video gamers used to be looked at in the same light until recently gaming became cool - I think we're the replacement target :laugh:

Renwold 04-07-09 10:11 AM

Fair enough, and warhammer as we know is evolving into videogames aswel, so the abuse will surely stop soon

admiraldick 04-07-09 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by when in doubt, shoot! (Post 352202)
It is so embarrasing when someone from outside the club comes in.
This brings me to my question, how do you get rid of (or at least lessen) the idea of fellow pupils (or co workers or whatever) into thinking warhammer isn't just little plastic toy soldiers? Well, I know it is, but how do you make it more....mature...Sounding?

surely part of the point of being at school is to learn about the world and how to handle yourself effectively in it? if you really want to feel mature excluding people who you don't think are 'cool' is not the way to go about it. the simple truth is that miniature wargaming is never 'cool' (well, not in an obvious sense). and being 'cool' won't get you anywhere in life, so the sooner you can realise that you don't need to be cool the better (or at the very least that you are cool for being who you are, not how others want you to be).

also, this is a freakin' school. of course there will be kids that find playing with rules too hard. they just like the models and want to use their imagination. that what kids do! everyone starts somewhere and then as they get older and can handle playing with rules better they look to the older 'cooler' kids to give them some guidance or inspiration. i'd think it would be far more mature of you to want to be the guy who helps out people who don't understand than the one who is constantly trying to attain praise from people who are never going to be satisfied. even if your school mates don't appreciate that now, they will do in time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by when in doubt, shoot! (Post 352202)
Any witty comebacks or help would be welcome, as the amount of hecklers at my school is insane. :laugh: Thanks!

generally speak i don't get much abuse because i don't really fall into the gamer stereotypes, i'm often the only one of my friends that where's casual shirts; but if people do try and mock me or my hobbies i usually let it roll off my back (after all, which is better collecting little toy men or collecting liver damage and penalty points on your license because you go out and drink yourself stupid every night) or i turn it round. if someone says 'so, do you collect an army of little men?' i will often answer 'no. i collect THE BEST army of little men.', that usually indicates that you are not very embarased about you hobby and are perhaps even quite proud of your skills.

and if the very worst comes the worst, and you really just want them to piss off, my friend at uni (who lived with a large house of girls, none of whom 'understood' the hobby), would often retort, 'try to think of it this way, i collect 'little toy men' like you collect sexually transmitted diseases. we all have our hobbies.'

HivefleetIngensus 04-07-09 09:42 PM

I must say I agree with jezlad. 100%. Gamers are always thought as as nerdy, smelly, greasy-faced, acne-loaded guys with braces and glasses. Just think about it. Take movies, the steroetype in those for nerds is the exact same thing.

Any way, the eaisest (and most effective route) would be to not play in school!! I don't, none of my friends have ever heard of the game. Well, I am in a gangster high school, me being not much better than them, so I guess thats why I use that tactic.