Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Tactics (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/15-40k-tactics/)
-   -   Black Templars, Right for me? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-tactics/29396-black-templars-right-me.html)

Oodles 02-24-09 11:18 AM

Black Templars, Right for me?

Hi all, I'm new to 40k and want to make a Space Marine army. After reading what info i could get and the fact that my friend has a Space Wolves army and have heard Blood angels are over done(sorry to blood angel lovers), I want to make a black templar based chapter. I'm going to paint them similar to what my Avatar pic looks like and will, in time have made a background story as i love to imerse myself in fantasy, BUT, are the Black Templars battle tactics right for me? I want to Base my army around the use of Marine squads assisted by Scout Squads. Terminators and Dreadnaughts.

Thanks for any and all help. Feel free to state your case for any other chapter as i want to find the right ary for me.

bishop5 02-24-09 11:24 AM

Don't have the BT codex but from what I can gather they don't have scouts, their scouts are part of their 'tactical' squads.

I's say use the new Codex: Space Marines; you can make some nice army lists out of that plus you get access to updated versions of the weapons (i.e. Cyclone Missiles, etc) - You can also take the Master of the Forge to allow you to take up to 6 Dreadnoughts (correct me if i'm wrong on that one)

Oodles 02-24-09 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bishop5 (Post 313089)
You can also take the Master of the Forge to allow you to take up to 6 Dreadnoughts (correct me if i'm wrong on that one)

I hope your right because that many dreadnaughts means alot of flat enemies!!!! lol

Tossidin 02-24-09 11:37 AM

It is true.
You can take 3 dreadnoughts as heavy support + the normal 3 in elites when you have MAster of the forge in the army, if I remember right :)
And the new codex: Space Marines is wery nice :grin:
Though I do like black templars, but they dont have so much stuff to choose from if I remember right :P

LordWaffles 02-24-09 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oodles (Post 313084)
Hi all, I'm new to 40k and want to make a Space Marine army. After reading what info i could get and the fact that my friend has a Space Wolves army and have heard Blood angels are over done(sorry to blood angel lovers), I want to make a black templar based chapter. I'm going to paint them similar to what my Avatar pic looks like and will, in time have made a background story as i love to imerse myself in fantasy, BUT, are the Black Templars battle tactics right for me? I want to Base my army around the use of Marine squads assisted by Scout Squads. Terminators and Dreadnaughts.

Thanks for any and all help. Feel free to state your case for any other chapter as i want to find the right ary for me.

Welcome to 40k.

From the sounds of it, it seems like you just want to make a fun army to play with friends and not a tournament army. If that's the case the generic space marine codex is the right one for you.

It's not hard to make a wacky fun list to play with them...but you won't win any tournaments, and if you say otherwise, orks will laugh at you.

Black templar revolve around being amazingly good in close combat, most of our wargear(We still have a wargear page) revolves around getting us into combat, then winning that combat.

We usually have a twenty man squad, comprised of ten initiates(space marine templar) and ten neophytes(ten scouts). The marines will take most of the small arms fire on the stroll up, while neophytes jump in front to take things like lascannons and plasma fire to save the much better marines.

The only flaws come in having to roll leadership at the end of any shooting phase where you suffered a casualty. If you fail(and you will without a marshall), you'll run screaming off the table edge. If you succeed, you get free movement towards the enemy(Which is where you want to be).

To date, I've never seen a close combat army that can match the brute force of templar. We think orks are cute with their twenty guys. It's nice. But we stomp them. Regular space marine squads are laughable, we just pick those off the table.

Genestealers, Banshees, Daemon princes? They'll kill 6-8 neophytes, than be swarmed by a seething nest of angry black snakes.

Also, we have a great dreadnought setup since we can take venerable as an upgrade for the cost of two neophytes.

Sadly though, we don't benefit from the storm shield nonsense that ultramarines get. Sigh. But we still stomp them something awful in CC.

jaren 02-24-09 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oodles (Post 313084)

Thanks for any and all help. Feel free to state your case for any other chapter as i want to find the right army for me.

for your strategy it would work, the blood claw box is still your best bet for getting enough ccw's but aside from some light conversion you will be good. as for your strategy that is standard marine tactics, the black templars do things a little different. we have 20 man crusader squads with 10 initiates (marines) and 10 neophytes (scouts), both of which can choose between rage or ccw/bp. our termies are a big part of a good assault army and can lay down some hurt especially when you put them in a land raider crusader. dreanoughts i found only work well when i employ them in drop pods, other wise they become fire magnates.

as for some special things to note, at 750 points or more (for the list total) we must use an Emperors Champion, he must take only one vow and this will have wide ranging effects for the army, from +1 str -1 initiative, to prefered enemy giving you re-rolls to hit, this one employed with dual lighting claw terminators makes a bad day for anyone re-roll missed hits, then re-roll missed wounds is just sick, i rolled an avatar and the big-bad-ass eldar charachter (forget the name atm) in turn three with a squad of initiates and chappi and squad of assault termies due to that vow.

but anyway i digress, yes in vanilla marines you have more choices, they are a little more flexible, but we have some good choices if you are looking to specialize your army into either close-combat or solely ranged (it works, believe me). the only thing you need to deal with is our older codex, but if you play with cool people they will let some of the things like 35 point rhino's and new storm shields work for you as well.

anyway hope that helps.

-jaren

Oodles 02-24-09 08:45 PM

So Correct me if im wrong but it sounds like Black templars are the SM equiv of orks. Bigger squads and good at H2H

jaren 02-25-09 06:06 AM

i shall smite you for that quip.

but no they are not, orks are unique to themselves, trying to quantify one army like another is very difficult indeed.

Usually you will not see a full 20 model squad for the black templar, more often then not you see a 10 man squad in a rhino.

a sample list so you get an idea...

emperors champ with accept any challeng no matter the odds

2 10 model crusader squads with bp/ccw and a rhino transport

1 to 2 dreads

a squad of assault termies or assault marines

and i take either a vidicator or lrc for the termies maybe both if the points are high enough.

that is a normalish list for me, the trick is the vow for the emperors champion and righteous zeal these make the templars behave very different on the field then many other marine armies.

righteous zeal makes you hae the posibility to move forward in the enemies shooting phase, and the vows for the emperors champion vary depending on the one you choose such as accept any challenge no matter the odds gives you preferred enemy for your entire army against your opponent, so re-roll missed hits.

we also can take lrc's as dedicated transports, have bp/ccw for all normal troop squads, and our chaplains are harder hitters then the vanilla marines are now.

if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

-jaren

Oodles 02-25-09 11:13 AM

BT's sound like my kinda team! Any ideas on how to relate the paint scheme the BT's?

Chocobuncle 02-25-09 10:08 PM

Black and White go search in the painting section i think there was one about black templars, could be wrong