Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Eldar Army Lists (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/135-eldar-army-lists/)
-   -   Need suggestions for new Eldar army (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/eldar-army-lists/25781-need-suggestions-new-eldar-army.html)

TehDarkness 01-12-09 07:07 PM

Need suggestions for new Eldar army

I am just getting into 40K and have yet to invest in a full army. I realize that Eldar are one of the more difficult armies to play as but I like their aesthetic so much that I think I can handle losing most of my early battles. That being said, I would like to avoid outright embarrassment (not to mention blowing textbook money on units I never play with). I particularly like the look of Wraithlords and Wraithguards as well as the Farseer's powers so I would like my army to have some of them but otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

NecronCowboy 01-12-09 07:10 PM

Well you can't go wrong with,
- Some guardians
- Some dire avengers
- Some Eldar Tanks
- A Farseer
- Add in your favorite of the elites/support units
- Throw in some jet bikes when you can

TehDarkness 01-12-09 08:03 PM

Thanks NecronCowboy that helps a lot but what I'm mostly asking is what is a good combo of aspect warriors will allow me to handle the most situations with minimal skill (I realize that sound kinda skeevy but I figured I might as well ask)

NecronCowboy 01-12-09 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDarkness (Post 276162)
Thanks NecronCowboy that helps a lot but what I'm mostly asking is what is a good combo of aspect warriors will allow me to handle the most situations with minimal skill (I realize that sound kinda skeevy but I figured I might as well ask)

I think that's a question you should set out to answer for yourself. You would be way better off understanding what and why you have what you have.

Basically your dire avengers are cheap and good, your fast attack aspects are good up close, and your support aspects are good at a distance.

What I've always loved about the Eldar aspects is how powerful they are if you put them in the position they are meant to be in.

TehDarkness 01-13-09 01:51 AM

Thanks, despite being somewhat obtuse, that's still really good advice once I think about it

guthrie76 01-16-09 08:15 PM

necron cowboy is right though, you have to decide what type of combat you are comfortable with, eldar can go either way. example if you like range you would like to load up on dire avengers, rangers for troops and war walkers and fire prisms with other units thrown in as needed. where if you like close combat banshees and strikeing scorpions, wraithlords and falcons. once you start playing you'll find what you like and to be honest a good mix of both is the best.

thegreenronin 01-17-09 04:07 AM

A wraith guard army is very workable but expensive to build. Otherwise dire avengers, wave serpents, and fire dragons should be your bread and butter,

PandaPaws 01-18-09 11:06 AM

Wraithlords and Wraithguards are fantastic... but the dreaded wraithsight can scupper your best plans...

I'm new to Eldar and am finding them very tricky to use... it takes practice and an element of your own playing style to find that happy balance.

You likely to be playing your battles against the same army? If so, you could tailor your army to your opponent.