Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   Ghost themed Chaos help (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/221177-ghost-themed-chaos-help.html)

Reginald the 18th 01-25-19 10:57 AM

Ghost themed Chaos help

Hey all,

I'm that insufferable sort that just has to be a little different when it comes to models and I wanted to get a few daemons to go alongside my CSM, but I really liked the idea of having a sorcerer who summons up a hoard of the undead.

Whilst the Nurgle zombie classic is cool and all, I got sort of inspired by the idea of a sorcerer bringing forth a screaming, ethereal tide of baleful spirits to fall upon his enemies. Consequently, I was wondering if it was a viable concept and how best to realise this idea, in model choices, in fluff and in terms of units and rules.

As far as models go, I did eye up Nighthaunt Spirit Hosts and LoTR Dead army units, but I don't really know all that much about Chaos Daemons or, indeed the world of ghost-looking models.

I'm also perfectly down to use green stuff and other conversion gear, if there are unite that are halfway there, but need a little bit of fiddling.

Hope I did all this in the right spot, I'm a little rusty on forums,

Thanks,

Reginald

Old Man78 01-25-19 08:20 PM

How many are thinking? The cairn wraiths from Games workshop look quite ghostly but would be expensive to get a lot of them

Serpion5 01-26-19 12:23 AM

With the right paint job you can work with more than just actual ghost models. At one stage I was using the Dryad models as generic lesser daemons. All it took was trimming off all the leave and wildlife bits and then I painted them to look like purple hued shadows with yellow eyes.

The Bladegheist Revenants would work quite well if you wanted to count them as bloodletters, and you could run Dreadscythe Harridans under the daemonette rules. Characters would be fairly easy to work out counts as for, and you could go with larger Death Alliance models as larger daemons. Morghasts as Greater Daemons and maybe Spirit Hosts as Chaos Spawns?

Really it is just a case of making sure your opponent knows what's what and is okay with it if you plan to field this against unfamiliar players.

Reginald the 18th 01-29-19 11:16 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking of keeping having maybe 10-20 lessers, at least to start with, for budgetary reasons, so Cairn Wraiths might be a bit much Perhaps a Chainrasp host, skeletons or something like that could serve my lesser daemon needs?

What would they best work to count as though? Is there any particular unit that suits this thematic vein? Tzeench seems the most fluff-favoured, but Pink Horrors don't really fit the style. Daemonettes fit little better statwise, but does necromancy really suit Slaanesh? Are there any other daemons units I'm forgetting? Ideally fast, melee focussed types.

The idea of Chaos Spawn Spirit Hosts I like quite a lot, though I was also thinking screamers accompanied by a Fluxmaster to make a viable detachment. (Not sure what model to use there, maybe Lord Executioner model?)

As for greater daemons, I quite like the idea of the Sauron the Necromancer model or Lady Olinder, appropriately chaosed up with a few symbols here and there.

Shandathe 01-29-19 10:20 PM

Quite frankly, if you're looking for fast and melee-focused Slaanesh is your guy. Khorne for melee-focused at a normal speed, and Nurgle when you just want melee and speed is not an issue.

As for necromancy... Adding more undead is really the main point there usually, and it can be decently approximated by summoning more daemons. Not a Slaanesh player so how well you can reflavor things beyond that is up to you - or whoever else replies :)

On Greater Daemons, keep in mind that modeling for advantage tends to be frowned upon. The models for the Greater Daemons are quite sizeable (100+mm bases with the exception of the awful and ancient Keeper of Secrets model. That will most likely change when s/he inevitably gets replaced), and thus can't really hide behind anything. Shooting them with any artillery available is just good sense. Given that especially Sauron can hide pretty easily, using him might be iffy unless you give him one hell of a scenic base (small mountain of corpses?)

Reginald the 18th 01-30-19 08:07 PM

If I were to take the Sauron route, I'd be combining a big ol' corpse pile with extra wispy ghost tassels to make him a bit bigger and more dramatic looking. Having a greater daemon just ain't fun unless you can deploy a model that takes up the space of a small platoon of men and keeps headbutting low flying aircraft.

Serpion5 02-01-19 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reginald the 18th (Post 2445233)
What would they best work to count as though? Is there any particular unit that suits this thematic vein? Tzeench seems the most fluff-favoured, but Pink Horrors don't really fit the style. Daemonettes fit little better statwise, but does necromancy really suit Slaanesh? Are there any other daemons units I'm forgetting? Ideally fast, melee focussed types.

If your theme is necromancy and you're using different models, really you can count them as however you want. The faction keywording may be a bit tricky at first but if you run more than one detachment you should be able to fit in more than one alignment of daemons. Don't worry about how well the actual daemons fit your theme, just decide what kind of ghosts you want and choose the most apt rules.