Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Modelling and Painting (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/27-modelling-painting/)
-   -   Help Brainstorm Feral Ork army (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/modelling-painting/220522-help-brainstorm-feral-ork-army.html)

Minigiant 04-25-18 09:56 AM

Help Brainstorm Feral Ork army

My favourite part of the hobby has always been doing 'Army projects' where I start with a vision for the army, and once complete take it to events to share it alongside other beautiful armies. The feeling of getting to share these passion projects with other like minded individuals is always great, and of course I like people being jealous of my army.

I have been out of the loop for nearly 18 months now unfortunately and I have plans to come back with a BANG!

FERAL ORKS!

Now there is no longer a Feral Ork codex but, what little is unavailable in the current book is quite easy to use 'count as'

The biggest challenge is the overall design astetic, to make sure they look neolithic enough without them ever being accidently seen as an WFB or AoS army.

The theme for the army is Nomadic Squigg herders. Everything will be mounted on Squiggoth (both sizes). I picture them with multi-tiered howdahs on their backs much like the LotR Mumaks.

I have a few other ideas

Wyvern - Chinork
Steampowered Mork/Gork anaught

As this is an ork army, crazy ideas usually work when executed well.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this idea, as well as maybe some ideas of your own.

I love all ideas being thrown into the big melting pot and see what sticks

cabi3 04-25-18 07:30 PM

Definitely some squig-drawn carriages for trukks - mount an ork-nob size ork throwing Rocks for your heavy slugga

Orks riding large squugs for Bikers

I saw a winged squig conversion, could have those clutching the shoulders of orks for storm boyz

I'd decide if feral orks means feral or steam-age, I mean I wouldn't expect them to develop a steam driven morkanaut without also making, say, muskets. So if they are truly feral, machinery would be out.

And also, although not a deciding factor, can orks be feral and nomadic, without a ship to grow their spores on. Due to their ecology, their spores need to land and grow, to create their infrastructure, (I mean, orks, squigs, Gretchen, mushroom-food, nobz all come from the same spores, so would they travel in a small area and have it completely dominated by ork fauna/spore growth?) Or would their whole planet be orkified, with many different tribes coexisting, or many nomadic tribes coexisting?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Azwaz 05-16-18 05:30 PM

Also, Orks are super hard to eradicate because of the way they reproduce. The army could be a feral level society that has re-established after having thought to have been wiped out... so they would still have all of the old ork tech knocking about but no idea how to use it. So you could look at the AOS orks and then replace their weapons and armour with pieces for 40k ork kits? Like a club that is made out of an axle with 2 shootas tied to the top of it