Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Chaos Marines Army Lists (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/132-chaos-marines-army-lists/)
-   -   Newb Alpha Legion List (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/chaos-marines-army-lists/220306-newb-alpha-legion-list.html)

lordcardigan 04-02-18 02:22 PM

Newb Alpha Legion List

Hey folks. Would love some comments on a list I am crafting. Currently at around 700 pts but working my way up to 1850 - which is what this list will be.
DISCLAIMER: While this is Alpha Legion, I do not proscribe to the view that they need cultists,cultists,cultists. I dislike cultists on an aesthetic level and feel strongly about it! No hard feelings if you - well - are a cultist haha. But I don't believe cannonically that they are necessary in an Alpha Legion force. I say necessary (not common).
Anyways... sorry for the hostile disclaimer.
1850 pt list Alpha Legion

Chaos Lord with blade of the Hydra
Exalted champion
These blokes will be buffers attached to whichever unit appears appropriate at the time
Terminators x5, 1 Power sword, 4 Power Fists, all combi bolters
Essentially monstrous creature removalists as I believe this is a legitimate career path in the 41st millennium
Chosen x9, 3 power swords, 2 power fists, 1 flamer, 3 chainswords
Anti infantry assault unit, particular to be thrown at MEQ and TEQ. Likely mounted in the rhino (what a naughty thing to say!)
Dreadnought with multi-melta and powerfist
Yeah I know Helbrute but it sickens me that I leave 40k for 10 years and come back to my favorite chaos unit being renamed to something spastic
Anti-vehicle, either melt one or crush one, hopefully both. Also draw fire from everywhere
Chaos Space Marines x10, Aspiring Champion armed with a fist, 1 plasma gun and 1 missile launcher
Function like a tactical squad essentially. Basically lots of power armor to draw fire and fight back
Two more identical units of Chaos Space Marines
I proscribe to the idea that 30 CSM is a lot of bodies to deal with
Predator armed with autocannon, havoc launchers, lascannons on the sides and a combi bolter
Just chuck as many guns on it as I can to kinda shoot at anything feasible
Vindicator
Points wise it rounds the list off well. Also the demolishment cannon appears threatening. Again, an even cheaper way than the dreadnought to draw frightened
firepower away from the real threats, which I believe are the chosen, the terminators and the marine squads
Havoc squad with 2 lascannons and 2 missile launchers
Something to provide multi-role firepower whilst camping at the back

Well, that's it. I hope you like my list and tell me whats wrong with it!

darkreever 04-03-18 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordcardigan (Post 2441338)
While this is Alpha Legion, I do not proscribe to the view that they need cultists,cultists,cultists. I dislike cultists on an aesthetic level and feel strongly about it!

Have you given any thought to using Astra Militarum or Tempestus Scions then? The chaos codex may only give you access to cultists, but the Alpha Legion are known for using highly trained operatives and guard veterans and storm troopers definitely fit the bill in that regard.

Quote:

Chaos Lord with blade of the Hydra
Exalted champion

Beyond second HQ filler in a battalion, I honestly don't see much point in the exalted champion. Your honestly better off running a second lord with a power axe or fist.

[quote=lordcardigan;2441338]
Terminators x5, 1 Power sword, 4 Power Fists, all combi bolters
The second lord would be especially good here, helping to augment the fists while your primary lord buffs others.

Quote:

Chosen x9, 3 power swords, 2 power fists, 1 flamer, 3 chainswords

Like this squad, your primary lord probably belongs here.

Quote:

Dreadnought with multi-melta and powerfist

Honestly I feel the same way, overall good choice.

Quote:

3x Chaos Space Marines x10, Aspiring Champion armed with a fist, 1 plasma gun and 1 missile launcher

Overall good choice though I'd stil consider swapping one out to heavy bolter/autocannon and flamer with a sword or maul armed champion.

Quote:

I proscribe to the idea that 30 CSM is a lot of bodies to deal with

In ten strong squads in general yes, but you'd also be quite surprised with some armies now. (having to take 10-20 saves at normal armour or at -1 will whittle squads down fairly quickly.)

Quote:

Predator armed with autocannon, havoc launchers, lascannons on the sides and a combi bolter

I'm a fan of the auto-las so go-go baby!

Quote:

Vindicator

Its a good tank/monster buster
Quote:

Havoc squad with 2 lascannons and 2 missile launchers

Personally I've never been a fan of havoc/devestator squads with no ablative wounds. I'd suggest dropping a missile launcher for some more bodies.

lordcardigan 04-03-18 09:32 AM

Hey mate. Thanks for your response.
[QUOTE] Have you given any thought to using Astra Militarum or Tempestus Scions then? The chaos codex may only give you access to cultists, but the Alpha Legion are known for using highly trained operatives and guard veterans and storm troopers definitely fit the bill in that regard. /[QUOTE]

To be honest, this never occurred to me. I am seriously going to have a look into this as it could be ALOT of fun. Much more appealing that meandering hordes of useless ugly cultists. Thanks for the suggestion!

[QUOTE] Like this squad, your primary lord probably belongs here. /[QUOTE]

This is exactly what I am thinking. Also, the exalted champion is purely a tax HQ (is that the correct phrase?) I wanted something cheap.

[QUOTE] In ten strong squads in general yes, but you'd also be quite surprised with some armies now. (having to take 10-20 saves at normal armour or at -1 will whittle squads down fairly quickly.) /[QUOTE]

Hidden in plain sight will hopefully be of use here. However, I'm sure I am in for a shock. My mate plays Tau :(

[QUOTE] Personally I've never been a fan of havoc/devestator squads with no ablative wounds. I'd suggest dropping a missile launcher for some more bodies. /[QUOTE]

it's actually a question of points. Though I am guessing (though i've not played a game in over 20 years) that cover saves + hidden in plain sight should go some way to provide protection.

Thanks for your awesome response mate.

StartARevolution 04-05-18 09:29 AM

I've read your disclaimer, and sorry if l am wading into dangerous waters when l bring up cultists here...
Though if it's the aesthetic level that you feel strongly about might l suggest looking at ANVIL Industries line of infantry models?

https://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments-Range-Guide

Cultists can undeniably be very cheap troop slots fillers for detachments, leaving you more points for more killy Chosens and what not.
ANVIL Industries are in quite some competition with Forge World when it comes to infantry models. Noticeably cheaper squad bundles, none of the bad dealings with Resins parts,
and the main reason: PHENOMENAL VISUAL CUSTOMISATION!

Arms, legs, torso, pants, heads, and actual heavy weapons options are all available and most are included in the base price.
A ten men squad from them is 2/3 of the price of 2 boxes of 5 scions from GW (brand new and not on Ebay though).
Now sadly no matter how much cooler they look, they still have cultist stats, but the parts from ANVIL industries can make any human look you want.
Price is might be the deal breaker, but here it's quality (and definitely variety) over quantity.
A long way of saying there are models out there of wargaming tabletop quality that can make awesome and unique looking cultists/scions, just didn't want you to the feel that GW is the only option.

The list looks solid for ranged and melee, though if a common opponent for you is Tau... then several deep striking crisis battlesuits could be problematic without sufficient bodies to screen your damage dealers
Happy army building

lordcardigan 04-05-18 02:52 PM

Hey StartA.

I just knew it. Everyone seems to say cultists when alpha legion is brought up!

It's not the aesthetics so much. It's the units themselves - both the profile. the models and the lore. Something just irks me about them. Cultists are presented consistently since like 3rd edition as chaos zealots - the kind of troops word bearers would be using if there was more consistency in the writing (seriously, they're the proselytising ones!!!) darkreevers suggestion of using alternative units to represent skilled operatives has some merit as well.

Regarding ANVIL... I will be looking deeper into their catalog. Thanks for the suggestion. I am curious what else they have as well. Are the models sized equivalent to 40k? I'm not going to get primaris sized cultists am I? Hahahaha

Deepstriking brings fear to me. Actually, I am quite nervous in general about my first game, stupid as it sounds. I've been brooding over materials and models for several months now and it's just building the tension. Do you have recommended options for 'bubblingwrapping' to deny deepstriking zones? Everything has to be within 9 inches right? Like I said earlier, I am hoping the hidden in plain sight will be useful, for against tau and others, as I am hoping the area I live has some hobby shops where I can rock up and expect a game with strangers. Is that a real thing or a myth? Hahaha

Thanks a lot for your comments mate. What factions do you go?

StartARevolution 04-05-18 03:32 PM

Ah, l now better understand your perspective on Chaos Cultists, it's just a common conception that Alpha Legion players have cultists troop because inciting heretical thoughts and behaviours in the human masses is one of their primary unique specialities. But l think your list will perform good without them.
Against deep striking units, if you want to spread out across your deployment zones, a good tactic is to have units no more than 18 inches apart from one another. As the opponent still cannot deep strike in between them, you can even leave a bigger gap against larger deep striking units, as any models that cannot be deployed at least 9 inches away from ALL enemy units will be destroyed. The drawback here is the extra distance you've opened up to shoot and charge those Crisis Battlesuits and what nots with the majority of your army.

The legion trait of -1 to hit rolls beyond 12 inches is wonderful, many units for Tau players are hitting on 5+ even when hiding in plain sight. Come to think of it, Ork Boyz can't shoot you with their shootaz after advancing while being 12 inches because of their base 5+ BS. While supercharging plasma guns self-inflict mortal wounds on ones and twos, Hahahaha.

With regards to ANVIL industries, their models sizes are really similar to GW and FW, they use the same base dimensions however they don't really have the heroic sizing with GW so they appear slightly skinnier up close. There are many reviews of their products on YouTube. I think the majority of their catalogue are better suited towards Imperial Guard and Renegades and Heretics armies, they do have parts appropriate for Chaos Space Marines, but the options are more limited compared to the regiment sections. Nonetheless, great kit bashing potential though.

For playing with strangers and other avid tabletop gamers, l expect it to be rare to find someone just waiting in a game store for someone to play against. You should definitely get connected with your local Wargaming community, some have their own social media pages while others use apps likes GameFor made by Uncle Adam from the YouTube channel Tabletop Minions (his video content is helpful to newcomers and humorous to veterans, P.S. he's not actually an Uncle :)) to organise matches. I actually managed to find some nearby players this way but don't be surprised if some travelling is involved, but at least this way you'd want the game to last longer to make the most of it.

Enjoy.

lordcardigan 04-05-18 11:36 PM

Oh, I am familiar with tabletop minions. Learned the wet pallette from him, which has been a major convenience. I've just installed that app, looks really cool. Quite a few people in my radius.

Mind you, my army is not big enough yet. About half of my list to go :)

Thanks for your great tips mate!

Drewwills81 05-24-18 01:59 PM

My plans for the Alpha Legion

I'm in a similar position, Love the Alpha Legion fluff and heresy era paint job & style but just not really into those GW cultist minis and a lot of the daemon warped units.

I'm going to use these as myu cultists

GCPS Troopers | Warpath

paint them in grey and red to contrast agaisnt my alphas, i'll fluff them into a subverted planentary defense force. If i want to make the army bigger and grow this toa full detachment i'll use forgeworlds renegades and heretics index to start bringin in vehicles and heavy weapons teams for them.

Another plan is to model two mk iv marines as a weapon team on a 40mm bases (one lascannon, one crouching with a plasma gun perhaps) to represent obliterators.

Lastly i'm eyeing up the Primaris reivers to convert (lose the pistols, add some chain axes) to represent Khorne berzerkers.

Lots of plans not a lot built sadly but am happy to send photos across as i get it done. Are you putting pics of your project up on a blog anywhere?

Best

Drew