Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Rules Discussion (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/17-40k-rules-discussion/)
-   -   Death guard rules interaction (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-rules-discussion/220073-death-guard-rules-interaction.html)

killmaimburn 03-15-18 04:32 AM

Death guard rules interaction

Hi all,

Been away from the hobby for a long while now but recently came back to it, and I'm updating my death guard for the new ruleset (got their own codex, hoooray!)

Anyway, simple question, how does the Death Guard psychic power "Blades of Putrefaction" interact with the (common throughout the codex) special rule "Plague Weapon"?

As I read it, "Plague Weapon" allows me to reroll rolls of 1 to wound. "Blades of Putrefaction" adds 1 to all to wound rolls I make with the affected unit (it is a mandatory addition, unlike the "you can add 1" that is written in the "Veterans of the Long War" stratagem), and grants a bonus mortal wound for all to-wound rolls of 7 or higher made with plague weapons. The problem I see here is that, RAW, this psychic power prevents re-rolling 1's because any dice roll of 1 becomes counted as a 2, and thus ineligible for reroll.

Am I misreading something/missing a rule somewhere or is this the case and thus instead of a straight bonus blades of putrefaction is a trade-off.

darkreever 03-22-18 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killmaimburn (Post 2440393)
As I read it, "Plague Weapon" allows me to reroll rolls of 1 to wound. "Blades of Putrefaction" adds 1 to all to wound rolls I make with the affected unit (it is a mandatory addition, unlike the "you can add 1" that is written in the "Veterans of the Long War" stratagem), and grants a bonus mortal wound for all to-wound rolls of 7 or higher made with plague weapons. The problem I see here is that, RAW, this psychic power prevents re-rolling 1's because any dice roll of 1 becomes counted as a 2, and thus ineligible for reroll.

Am I misreading something/missing a rule somewhere or is this the case and thus instead of a straight bonus blades of putrefaction is a trade-off.

You are indeed missing something. As per the FAQ rerolls occur before dice modifiers, so the initial 1's rolled would get rerolled and then you would apply the +1 modifier for Blades of Putrefaction.

That means the order of operation is:
Roll dice
Look over results
-If any results trigger re-roll then re-roll affected dice
--Apply dice modifier(s)
Compare results