Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Modelling and Painting (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/27-modelling-painting/)
-   -   Airbursh primer vs Spray can primer question. (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/modelling-painting/219857-airbursh-primer-vs-spray-can-primer-question.html)

daonemdt 02-18-18 07:42 PM

Airbursh primer vs Spray can primer question.

Hello everyone, is it just me or does acrylic paint like citadel or vallejo adhere better or smoother to air brush primer than spray can primer? I've heard that spray can primer can have more surface tension due to the chemicals being used in the propellant. Any of you guys notice any difference?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Shandathe 02-19-18 03:13 AM

Depends on the brand(s) of primer involved, really. I at least can't give a better answer unless you specify those :) As long as it's actual primer I don't think you'll actually notice much difference.

NB: Of the GW spray cans, only Chaos Black and Corax White qualify as primers - and Corax has a for-best-results manual a couple pages long that isn't included with the spray can.

daonemdt 02-19-18 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shandathe (Post 2439297)
Depends on the brand(s) of primer involved, really. I at least can't give a better answer unless you specify those :) As long as it's actual primer I don't think you'll actually notice much difference.

NB: Of the GW spray cans, only Chaos Black and Corax White qualify as primers - and Corax has a for-best-results manual a couple pages long that isn't included with the spray can.

I am using GW chaos black spray and Vallejo black surface primer via airbrush.

Spartan06 02-23-18 07:25 PM

Most rattle cans of primer(GW and army painter), will give your mini a rougher surface for the paint to adhere too. Vallejo airbrush primer will give you a very smooth surface. They both have the same effect once you start putting paint over it. I use the Vallejo airbrush primer so I can prime stuff indoors in the middle of winter, without hot boxxing the whole house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lolorich 03-08-18 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daonemdt (Post 2439241)
Hello everyone, is it just me or does acrylic paint like citadel or vallejo adhere better or smoother to air brush primer than spray can primer? I've heard that spray can primer can have more surface tension due to the chemicals being used in the propellant. Any of you guys notice any difference?

Yeah, I agree with you. I notice the difference too.