Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   Are there Rough Rider Regiments that are basically medieval knights? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/211233-there-rough-rider-regiments-basically-medieval-knights.html)

The Final Frontier 12-01-16 03:03 PM

Are there Rough Rider Regiments that are basically medieval knights?

Was just curious if there were any rough rider regiments that are basically medieval knights, basically in plated armour with lances like in WHF?

Kreuger 12-01-16 06:36 PM

I don't know if that's explained explicitly in the lore, but we do know that the Imperium includes medieval worlds. I think you could make a very easy justification for that, as long as the rest of your army worked with it thematically.

So I would hope to see all manner of heraldry painted on the tanks and banners. Units and vehicles named and painted as mythical creatures (dragons, magical stags, manticores, hippogryphs, basilisks, etc.)

Ya' know, clear signs that the regiments were maintaining their identity despite being inducted into a futuristic space fairing army.

Fallen 12-01-16 09:58 PM

Mugal Kamir is basically a medieval knight, well a Hunnic warrior to be precise. The only thing that is semi-standard about outriders are their hunting lances, which are just normal lance with a bomb that detonates on contact.

The Final Frontier 12-03-16 03:53 PM

Now that's what I'd do If I had an Imperial Guard army. Most Rough Rider regiments I've read about are usually 19th century Dragoons or Ancient Era horsemen. Are there regiments that use power armor? Power armor plated Knights on genetically created horses with Lances that act as lances and as Lasguns be too much lol

Fallen 12-03-16 04:14 PM

Um, lore wise 99.99% of IG regiments do NOT even have access to power armor, it's really expensive, and there are a lot of guardsmen. And if they did have access to it, it's probably not going to the grunts.

Which is why gamewise guardsmen are equipped with flak armor (akin to modern military armor).

Some regiments might be equipped with carapace armor (4+ armor) but again its not common at all.

----

For my Rough Riders, I use the old Bretonian Knights.

ntaw 12-03-16 04:30 PM

Are these are close to what you're thinking of?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resourc...erSquadron.jpg

Fallen 12-03-16 06:48 PM

ahhh the good ole Death Korps of Krieg.

The Final Frontier 12-03-16 07:27 PM

Look like 19th century Cavalry lol

When I meant knights, I was thinking of something like Empire Knights from WF basically with lasguns or las pistols. There is no reason really, was just curious when I reading about the Rough Riders.

So does power armor cost more then producing a Lemun Russ or tanks in general? so I guess an elite regiment from a forge world wouldn't have access to PA huh?

ntaw 12-04-16 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Final Frontier (Post 2374385)

Ah well. It's sci-fi, I guess just convert up your models and write whatever backstory you like.

EDIT: Maybe a Dark Angels successor Chapter would fit the knightly order in power armour on modified super horses that can deal with the weight?

Fallen 12-04-16 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Final Frontier (Post 2374385)

When I meant knights, I was thinking of something like Empire Knights from WF basically with lasguns or las pistols. There is no reason really, was just curious when I reading about the Rough Riders.

So does power armor cost more then producing a Lemun Russ or tanks in general? so I guess an elite regiment from a forge world wouldn't have access to PA huh?

In general I would say yes, Power Armor costs more to produce/maintain tanks. Understand that most space marine chapters have to cobble together suits of power armor. There is a reason why not everyone is wearing the newest set of power armor. (Mark 8 I think) Things are even worse for terminator armor.

That said this is for space marines, perhaps power armor for normal humans don't have all of the fancy stuffs.

In other words, go with @ntaw 's words.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntaw (Post 2374433)
Ah well. It's sci-fi, I guess just convert up your models and write whatever backstory you like.