Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   Can Necrons Rust (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/210873-can-necrons-rust.html)

Mr. Vulcanator 11-18-16 03:22 PM

Can Necrons Rust

I've read the page for Necrodermis and read a lot of the page on Necrons and I've found no answer. Can necrons/necrodermis rust?

Romanov77 11-18-16 04:07 PM

Most likely not.

Probably some BL writer has described "rusty" necrons in some novels to increase "very ancient" feeling, but I think that the whole point of necrodermis is to be a super awesome living metal, and it would be really silly if it could actually get rust.

The Final Frontier 11-18-16 05:59 PM

Never heard of such a thing but probably not since they were created by the ancient ones to be immortal warriors, making their body rust would exactly be the smartest thing when you want immortal machine like warriors. For a fluff created army, am sure it be possible with an ancient virus or something, not sure am not a Necron expert but it's not that far out like people wanting Female Adeptus Astartes.

Old Man78 11-18-16 06:10 PM

If your plan to beat Necrons is to pray for rain, I suggest you come up with a better one! Lol

Brother Lucian 11-19-16 02:40 PM

In nightbringer, where Uriel ventris goes hunting for the plotters, he comes by a hill of strange metal that is rusting and dying after the plotters had removed a necron relic from it.

Sounded like necrodermis to me. Necrodermis has been described as living metal.

Serpion5 06-03-17 10:00 AM

Sorry to revive this, but more recent necron lore likens necrodermis to a form of nanotechnology. So it follows that it requires a power source, and in the absence of such it reverts to an inert substance no different from any other metal.

This would explain the example that takes place in Nightbringer, as well as why some necrons can appear to be rusty.

PlagueMarine 06-03-17 02:15 PM

Hmm, I always thought that the necrodermis needed a power source (given I don't think it's mentioned anywhere that they reconstruct themselves with warp magic that leaves electric of some kind I would imagine). Though, even without a power source, I wouldn't think they'd rust. If they haven't discovered stainless steel at this point in the future....

Shandathe 06-03-17 08:55 PM

Oxygen is amazing at binding to things, and entropy is a bitch. The question isn't so much whether Necrons CAN rust, but how long it would take.

Quite frankly, with their extreme abilities in material science and some basic maintenance alone (oil them regularly and the oxygen won't REACH the metal bits), that would be a very long time indeed. And the time it takes to get some proper oxidation done on a Necron gets far, far longer when you realize Necrons don't actually have a good reason to keep oxygen around. It's not like they breathe the stuff. All oxygen does is enable annoyances like Eldar and Orks.

That does also mean a Cryptek or two might just not have bothered with keeping the anti-oxygen maintenance going while he slept ("seriously not going to waste the oild, the Tomb is sealed, no oxygen here, things will be fine for another few thousand years" ) with the Tomb springing a leak rust might have gotten a chance to play ("Where'd all the damn oxygen COME from?" )

Brother Lucian 06-03-17 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shandathe (Post 2411665)
Oxygen is amazing at binding to things, and entropy is a bitch. The question isn't so much whether Necrons CAN rust, but how long it would take.

Quite frankly, with their extreme abilities in material science and some basic maintenance alone (oil them regularly and the oxygen won't REACH the metal bits), that would be a very long time indeed. And the time it takes to get some proper oxidation done on a Necron gets far, far longer when you realize Necrons don't actually have a good reason to keep oxygen around. It's not like they breathe the stuff. All oxygen does is enable annoyances like Eldar and Orks.

That does also mean a Cryptek or two might just not have bothered with keeping the anti-oxygen maintenance going while he slept ("seriously not going to waste the oild, the Tomb is sealed, no oxygen here, things will be fine for another few thousand years" ) with the Tomb springing a leak rust might have gotten a chance to play ("Where'd all the damn oxygen COME from?" )

Necrons sleeps in timefrozen stasis crypts. But plenty of problems couldve happened to a tombworld that had lost power to the stasis generators, but with the necrons still in hibernation mode despite being exposed. Power issues from earthquakes, tectonic shifts, eldar raiders. Forcing a possibly increasingly corrupted MCP to try to maintain its charges in a futile fight against entrophy itself. Earthquakes could even have breached the failing tomb to the elements

Old Man78 06-03-17 09:15 PM

The necrodermis is "living" metal, so theoretically it could get "sick" like a former of skin cancer that would manifest itself as rust