Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Modelling and Painting (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/27-modelling-painting/)
-   -   How to pin metal models? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/modelling-painting/206970-how-pin-metal-models.html)

Moriouce 06-08-16 05:52 AM

How to pin metal models?

Like the name of this thread says I'm out after ways to pin metal models to make them more durable. How do you make holes in metal? What do you use to pin them, what kind of glue works best with metal? Thanks in advance!

ntaw 06-08-16 11:44 AM

A pin vice with appropriately sized bit, piece of paper clip, and superglue.

Kreuger 06-08-16 11:57 AM

@ntaw has the basics there.

I would also add that depending on the model and the join you may need to use larger or thicker gauge wire than a paperclip. You may also need to reinforce the join with modeling putty or greenstuff.

A few things to keep in mind. You'll want to have some sort of a vice handy and you'll also need a protective wrapper. In some cases it will be very difficult to hold the piece in your hand when drilling, if it is awkwardly shaped or if it is very small. Then it can be helpful to wrap it in a protective layer before clamping it in a vice. I typically use the card stock from the back of a blister pack to prevent the jaws of the vice from deforming the pewter.

It's always a balance between how much force you use to hold it still and avoiding damaging the model.

I don't have a table vice so I usually use vice-grip pliers, which also have a knurled gripping surface which makes a protective layer even more important.

Moriouce 06-08-16 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntaw (Post 2342986)
A pin vice with appropriately sized bit, piece of paper clip, and superglue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreuger (Post 2343010)
@ntaw has the basics there.

I would also add that depending on the model and the join you may need to use larger or thicker gauge wire than a paperclip. You may also need to reinforce the join with modeling putty or greenstuff.

A few things to keep in mind. You'll want to have some sort of a vice handy and you'll also need a protective wrapper. In some cases it will be very difficult to hold the piece in your hand when drilling, if it is awkwardly shaped or if it is very small. Then it can be helpful to wrap it in a protective layer before clamping it in a vice. I typically use the card stock from the back of a blister pack to prevent the jaws of the vice from deforming the pewter.

It's always a balance between how much force you use to hold it still and avoiding damaging the model.

I don't have a table vice so I usually use vice-grip pliers, which also have a knurled gripping surface which makes a protective layer even more important.

What kind of drill do you use?

Kreuger 06-08-16 06:53 PM

The drill is actually called a "pin vise." That links to an amazon page with an example.

Here's another example I like better because it has a swivel head which allows you to use a lot more force without hurting your hands.

morfangdakka 06-09-16 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreuger (Post 2343194)
Here's another example I like better because it has a swivel head which allows you to use a lot more force without hurting your hands.

The swivel head is a much better drill to use. It is best to drill into one piece glue in a small piece of metal paper clip and glue it in. Now you can put a little black paint on the end of it to mark the other side so you know where to drill the second hole. Once that is done add some glue to the other hole and a small amount of green stuff will make the joint even stronger once it dries.

Kreuger 06-09-16 04:12 AM

Another great tip is to paint one entire side of the join and press them together. If you need to find a door for the hole OR if you need to check how smoothly the halves come together.

Using paint this way instantly colors the raised areas which need to be sanded down.

Loki1416 06-09-16 05:12 AM

Little while ago I got into a Battletech kick so purchased a bunch of models. All metal. Decided that this time (unlike when I was 10) that I was going to pin them. Unlike a plastic model where I made the pin "straight", meaning that I drilled straight into the arm and straight into the body, I decided to try a new method for the metal. For the arm I did an angle up (looked like this: \) and on the body I did an angle down (looked like this:\). That way, because gravity is pulling the arm down, it's pulling it constantly down onto the pin and constantly pushing the pin down in the body cavity. Has worked well for me. Did some playing with them, painting, and even a packing and move, and no broken pieces. Just my two cents and an alternate way of doing it.

DaisyDuke 06-09-16 03:35 PM

This is what I use but there are cheaper ones
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've drilled stone metal and plastic and had no issues
And as ntaw said just use superglue and paper clip

Moriouce 06-09-16 03:41 PM

Thanks everyone! This has been most helpful!! [emoji106]