Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Tactics (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/15-40k-tactics/)
-   -   Versus Jump Infantry (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-tactics/20577-versus-jump-infantry.html)

Galahad 10-31-08 03:21 PM

Versus Jump Infantry

This week we;re doing something different. Rather than pick a specific unit like Raptors or Veterna Assault Squads or Stormboyz, I figured I;d see what tactics work against Jump-Packers in general.

They move 12" and buzz over terrain, but are hosed if they have to land in it, Jump Infantry generally have to put terrain in between you and them to use it effectively, as opposed to simply holing up in a piece of area terrain like a standard infantry unit could.

Their speed makes them able to close in very fast, without being encumbered by transports...this makes them ideal Assault units. Indeed, except for Tau (whose Jet Packs are a whole different kettle of fish) just about all Jump Infantry tend to be assault-oriented. These are the ones we're going to cover.

So what are your tips and tricks for taking down Jump Infantry?

darklove 10-31-08 03:33 PM

1 non-assault Jump Infantry that comes to mind that can cause a whole mountain of trouble is Flamers of Tzeentch (sp?).

If I know that the enemy has a lot of jumpy assaulty types I tend to take a Deciever* (*insert your choice of MC here) as a powerful smack-down unit near anything too squishy as extra protection. If they use their jump power to DS then I try to get a large blast on them, like the P-Whip (S9-AP3) (works well vs death company etc).

KellysGrenadier 10-31-08 03:33 PM

Fucking shoot them!

That's probably the last words of every unfortunate Guardsman.

Underground Heretic 10-31-08 03:37 PM

Being a gun line Tau player I have a few different ways I deal with Jump Infantry (mainly Assault Marines and Death Company). This is mostly for shooting armies.

1. If they are advancing across the board try to get an angle on them. If you can reach them around the cover, you can get another round or two of firing. If Jump Infantry, or any assaulting unit, fails to reach your line on the charge then you can either rapid fire at them or you can get the charge in. On this note, if you know that you will be facing an assault focused army with a shooting army make sure there are at least 18" between you and a concealing piece of terrain.

2. Make sure you have a reaction force. Jump infantry can deep strike behind your lines and tie up your fire support or get into your line. Have someone, for me crisis suits, near your lines so you can stop them before they can assault you.

There are some things, for instance vanguard veterans and death company dreadnoughts in drop pods, that can assault without being shot at most of the time. If you have a fire base or gun line style and get hit with one of these you can counter assault into the melee with any nearby assault based units.

If you don't you can make a much more cinematic end to the assaulting unit. If you have, say 10 Terminators with a chaplain hit your line, just march your troops into rapid fire range. Remember, they can't consolidate into you. Then you can kill them with the rest of your troops rapid firing into them.

Galahad 10-31-08 03:49 PM

Excellent points, Heretic!
For the record, everyone, this is exactly the kind of in-depth, insightful resonse Versus was meant to provoke.

darklove 10-31-08 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underground Heretic (Post 221370)
Remember, they can't consolidate into you. Then you can kill them with the rest of your troops rapid firing into them.

1 slight problem with this theory: if they win CC in YOUR turn! If this happens then they can just walk up to your next unit and get stuck in without you getting even a single shot in!

Spot The Grot 10-31-08 04:27 PM

noramly when that happens it is a good idea to counter assault hime especialy if you happen to have a HQ near by

CommanderAnthor 10-31-08 04:41 PM

Bombard them bullets, and if they get too close have a flamer ready.

:ok:

darklove 10-31-08 04:43 PM

Why would jump infantry be in a tank...?

Spot The Grot 10-31-08 04:47 PM

ive got to say one of my favourites is to use LOS power on them and move them into cover , ( this is only for CC jump infantry) .To get out of the cover they either move at normal speed which means they will get shot easier , they can jump out in which case they have to take a dangerous terrain check and the finla option which is stand there , yes they get a cover save but they are not doing wat they are meant to do which is be in CC