Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   Which race would you like to see as a major one, and which would you kick out? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/202570-race-would-you-like-see-major-one-would-you-kick-out.html)

neferhet 02-19-16 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brobaddon (Post 2302330)
And eldar and orks are? Why should they have to be compatible? They're their own race , culture and what not, no matter how sucky they are. I mean, Gothic is human made term, steaming from our own culture and fiction. Why would Tau be Gothic? That makes no sense.

eldar are gothic as fuck :) llok at the armours, the buildings, everything screams grotesque style and visual/geometrical excess. orks..yep, they too are grotesque enough to be fitting. Tau are too linear, too tidy. they are out of the visual concept of grimdark, completely. Everything in wh40k has a visual link, a design "integrity". tau are not to be found within this same design, imo.
i own some tau models, had fun painting it, and fun using them as a force in a story driven scenario. But i really can't "see" them side by side with any other model of the range.
Of course i understand that a wide galaxy has a wide spectrum of shapes and "alien evolution" that might differ from human made terms. but this aint reality. it's a game. a fictional universe driven by a recurring theme: grimdark; and tau are just not there.

ArkInRev 02-19-16 02:47 PM

I dislike Tau. I like the "greater good" idea, but they are all sorts of Gundam. The style is not my thing. To me, the aesthetic is a little more Star Trek and a bit less Grimdark.

Some Slann/Old one action bubbling to the top could be interesting. Space lizards with a tie to Cthulu Old Gods incarnation would add a little more variety to the landscape.

Tyriks 02-19-16 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R_Squared (Post 2302202)
We're arguing over taste, so we're never going to agree.
The red paint job is one thing in the whole ork fluff that "works cause they want it too" there's no mention of any other thing that works like this it in the new codex at all. Have you read the new or codex? It's much less "goofy" than 2nd edition. In fact Orks havent been "goofy" for quite a while. However, as an ork player, I like the fact that they are not too serious, as to me this is a game, and it should be fun and entertaining. My job, mortgage and degree are serious enough, I don't need to take playing 40k seriously too.

If Orks weren't part of 40k, it would be a much changed beast, a lot of people would never have played it, and I think it probably would never have got off the ground. Orks are the ultimate protagonists for the imperium. The imperium is dour, and fretful, and violent and cruel, Orks are all also violent and cruel, but they're also cheerful. They're the only race that is. They are the antithesis of the imperium, which takes itself far to seriously. That's appealing to me.
Tau and eldar may have their faults, but they are not grimdork, that is solely the preserve of the imperium. All the other races have their own agendas and care not a whit for high gothic or nuns and monks in space, (and wacky space vikings).

Ork spelling is part of their kulture. It's not childish because they don't have children, it's simplified gothic, which as I mentioned before is impressive in its way. A brutal race with the physiology of a 400 pound gorilla that can speak a language with a jaw the size of a dustbin lid designed for squishy pink monkeys is quite a feat. The spelling reflects the simplicity and brutal mindset of Orks, if it was all Death Blitz fighter and the like, then it would be odd, because it doesn't fit their society. I've never heard of someone rubbishing an entire faction because they don't like the names.

You are still the only person talking about spelling. Please read my last post. Also, I'm not saying Ork children came up with their names, so why bring Ork children into it? You are focusing too much on details of what I'm saying to get what I'm actually saying.

I have not read the newest Ork codex because I'm not interested in Orks. I'm not going to spend $50 on a book I don't really want. Older codices do explicitly say that Ork tech works because they believe it will. I find that too absurd for me to get into.

As far as 40k being fun, I don't know why you need an army to be goofy to think it's more fun than paying your mortgage. I have plenty of fun with Imperium armies, and it is not impeded even the tiniest bit by how seriously the Imperium takes itself. In fact, that never even occurs to me while I'm playing.

ntaw 02-19-16 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailene (Post 2302234)
I hardly see anything that specifically anime related about the Tau.

It's my suspicion that with the internet being what it is, this opinion has proliferated without any fact checking (think Facebook post shares). At this point we are likely helpless to stop it; just accept that Tau look like Gundam and Gundam are what a lot of people think anime is. 'Cuz you know, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball (Z), Speed Racer, Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade, etc. etc., were never really all that popular.

On topic:

I would love to see Tyranids become more of a thing, and more fights between them and Necrons (without Blood Angels being involved). Unless some Primarchs show back up it seems like it will be those two races and Orks in a punch fest over the known 40k universe with the Chaos Gods kickin' it in the background sipping some tea and talking about how much fun those humans were in the good old days.

Brobaddon 02-19-16 03:58 PM

eldar are gothic as fuck :) llok at the armours, the buildings, everything screams grotesque style and visual/geometrical excess

Dark Eldar, yes, with all the neo-vampire/dark and what not, but Craftworld Eldar hardly. Yeah some buildings have similar traits, but them themselves are hardly " dark ". Especially the fact they like to preserve their shrine/maiden worlds and what not.

Orks even less really, they're brutal, but so is Tau's philosophy. It only looks nice and peaceful on the outside but on the inside it's nothing but hive mind kind of notion almost. As soon as you reject the water caste, you'll have your world burn. Hardly not " grimdark " You're too focused on the design and exterior.

Quote:

but they are all sorts of Gundam.
So, then even dreadnaughts and Titan Legios are " gundam " too? They're not really. I see tau battlesuits as nothing but alien in design.

Quote:

I would love to see Tyranids become more of a thing, and more fights between them and Necrons (without Blood Angels being involved). Unless some Primarchs show back up it seems like it will be those two races and Orks in a punch fest over the known 40k universe with the Chaos Gods kickin' it in the background sipping some tea and talking about how much fun those humans were in the good old days.
Hm, well Hive Fleet Leviathan is on it's course to Terra isn't it? I could see this becoming a major event in the codexes and books. I mean, they did almost reduce Ultramar do the rubble didn't they?

As for Necrons, I'd like that too, but hopefully the awful models will change with the coming of next codex :/

ArkInRev 02-19-16 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brobaddon (Post 2302538)
So, then even dreadnaughts and Titan Legios are " gundam " too? They're not really.

No, the others are not. But it's difficult not to see it in Tau. It's not surprising that people are looking to Gundam models for Tau Conversions. Thread Reference Netierh the big ones nor the little ones are really my thing.
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery...comparison.JPG

neferhet 02-19-16 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brobaddon (Post 2302538)
eldar are gothic as fuck llok at the armours, the buildings, everything screams grotesque style and visual/geometrical excess Dark Eldar, yes, with all the neo-vampire/dark and what not, but Craftworld Eldar hardly. Yeah some buildings have similar traits, but them themselves are hardly " dark ". Especially the fact they like to preserve their shrine/maiden worlds and what not. Orks even less really, they're brutal, but so is Tau's philosophy. It only looks nice and peaceful on the outside but on the inside it's nothing but hive mind kind of notion almost. As soon as you reject the water caste, you'll have your world burn. Hardly not " grimdark " You're too focused on the design and exterior.

beg to differ. if this is not some over the top - gothic - grotesque stuff...i don't know what is it. and don't let me start comparing models.
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20120811161407
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20141120193458
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20150316065130

Brobaddon 02-19-16 05:05 PM

I said, you're focusing too much on design. In any case, we'll have to agree to disagree. Now let's go back on topic.

I admit LordofNight has hyped me with Rak'gol. Though I wonder whether games workshop even has a new race in mind, which I doubt. I guess sales would need to drastically drop again for them to introduce something entirely new.

Brother Lucian 02-19-16 05:42 PM

My oppinion: Kick the Tau out, they are a minor race and should stay one. And they recently got quite the well deserved bloody nose from overreaching.

The necrons should have a major tune up again. Make them succesful in ressurecting the ancient necrontyr and setting them up for a scism between the undeath and life factions of their race. With the imperium growing torn between supporting and allying with them, or declaring the livecrons xeno horrificus. Especially so if they turn to mass harvest space marine bodies as vessels for necron souls as previously hinted at.

R_Squared 02-19-16 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyriks (Post 2302466)
You are still the only person talking about spelling. Please read my last post. Also, I'm not saying Ork children came up with their names, so why bring Ork children into it? You are focusing too much on details of what I'm saying to get what I'm actually saying.

I have not read the newest Ork codex because I'm not interested in Orks. I'm not going to spend $50 on a book I don't really want. Older codices do explicitly say that Ork tech works because they believe it will. I find that too absurd for me to get into.

As far as 40k being fun, I don't know why you need an army to be goofy to think it's more fun than paying your mortgage. I have plenty of fun with Imperium armies, and it is not impeded even the tiniest bit by how seriously the Imperium takes itself. In fact, that never even occurs to me while I'm playing.

OK, I understand that they're not to your taste, but I was just trying to bring to your attention a few things that as an ork player I know about, and that you didn't appear to know about, or appreciate before calling to squat the faction.
Orks haven't been "goofy", probably since at least 6th edition, I did mention that before i'm sure? I couldn't say what it was like for sure before then, the last experience I had with 40k up until 2 years ago was back, was in the 80s in the days of rogue trader.
I don't play them because they're "goofy" though, or enjoy them for that reason, I play them because I enjoy the fact that they are fun to play, and don't take themseIves too seriously. Their outlook is that war is fun, and that encourages me to play to that philosophy. For example, I often make decisions that favour an Orks outlook, if given a number of choices. It's like I'm role playing to a degree.
I think I would do that if I was playing any faction. However, I personally prefer to play the bad guys, and play something different, something alien. Whilst I appreciate Imperial forces, personally I wouldn't want to play them, except for maybe Mechanics, they're practically a different species.
I'm glad there are people willing to play imperial forces though, it's better to have a bredth of opponents to play against. I even like to play against Tau, which is why I didn't call for them to be squatted. In fact I think they should be expanded, a whole raft of xenos species waiting to deploy for the greater good would be an enrichment of the game.