Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   Which race would you like to see as a major one, and which would you kick out? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/202570-race-would-you-like-see-major-one-would-you-kick-out.html)

Brobaddon 02-18-16 06:28 PM

Which race would you like to see as a major one, and which would you kick out?

Supposed you could remove/add your own choice to tabletop and fluff, who would you kick out and who would you add ( from minor races or something of your own )

What i'd like to see is some form of advanced human/abhuman civizilation outside of Imperium, maybe like the Interex or Brotherhood of Ruin or even Hrud perhaps.

I'd definitely kick out Tau seeing how the latest codex and supplements are a total steaming pile of garbage, plus I never liked them.

Who would you add kick out of 40k and for what reasons?

Tyriks 02-18-16 06:50 PM

I would kick out Orks because I don't feel like they fit. Everything in the setting is Grimdark, but they're the three stooges in space. I don't like it.

I would replace them with basically new Orks. I would make them less comically stupid and more like an idealized feudal Japan, where they still respect strength above everything but aren't just a slapstick routine with bad jokes for names. I would also play with the statline to make them better individually (instead of just hoping to overwhelm through numbers).

Battman 02-18-16 07:24 PM

Depends on your opion, personally I love some of the ork fluff. Note some the lore which shows them as a giantic muscle bound creatures similar to a gorilla but intelligent enough for the basic use of weapons.

The comical side certainly doesn't fit as well, some authors take it with liberties, going from their lack of pain for a goofy slapstick.

I'd recomend "rynns world" it shows the other side quite well, it demonstrates the hazard that orks can be if they invade a world as well as the violence that they can inflict even to marines such as the crimson fists.

As to races that id like to see a more major role? It would actually be some of the more minor races such as the creatures from the Ghoul Stars who even in the turbulent galaxy haven't been wiped out for some reason and have a chapter of marines watching their everymove, they must be something interesting.

As to removal of a race for its interations/breaking of the fluff? I actually don't have one, the stories are not perfect but they work as an expanded and overarching story.

Tyriks 02-18-16 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battman (Post 2301882)
Depends on your opion, personally I love some of the ork fluff. Note some the lore which shows them as a giantic muscle bound creatures similar to a gorilla but intelligent enough for the basic use of weapons.

The comical side certainly doesn't fit as well, some authors take it with liberties, going from their lack of pain for a goofy slapstick.

I'd recomend "rynns world" it shows the other side quite well, it demonstrates the hazard that orks can be if they invade a world as well as the violence that they can inflict even to marines such as the crimson fists.

As to races that id like to see a more major role? It would actually be some of the more minor races such as the creatures from the Ghoul Stars who even in the turbulent galaxy haven't been wiped out for some reason and have a chapter of marines watching their everymove, they must be something interesting.

As to removal of a race for its interations/breaking of the fluff? I actually don't have one, the stories are not perfect but they work as an expanded and overarching story.

It's not the way they're depicted in novels so much as the actual codex. Deff coptas? Weirdboys? I just can't take them seriously with names like those. I like the aesthetic of them, and they seem like they'd be fun to play, I just can't stand the goofiness.

Lord of the Night 02-18-16 09:05 PM

151 Attachment(s)
I wouldn't actually remove any of the current Xenos races on the Tabletop, but I would definitely add these boys;

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Rak'Gol

The Rak'gol make the Orks look like wimps and the Dark Eldar look like sadist-amateurs.

LotN

Nordicus 02-18-16 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Night (Post 2301970)
I wouldn't actually remove any of the current Xenos races on the Tabletop, but I would definitely add these boys;

The Rak'gol make the Orks look like wimps and the Dark Eldar look like sadist-amateurs.

LotN

Damn you beat me to it - I would absolutely love to see those on the table!

As far as removing? Sisters of battle. Killer nuns in space just seems... well... Kinda like the new Ghostbuster movie; A fun idea, but best left as just that.

Brobaddon 02-18-16 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Night (Post 2301970)

LotN

Love it! Really liking these guys o.o Nice addition to the thread. Better start a petition!

As for Adepta Sororitas, I don't have issues with them aside the fact their armour is really overly too sexualized. I mean armor tits? Cmon.

Also dont have issues with Orks. They may look goofy and ramshackled, but I doubt anybody would laugh when faced with a screaming bloodthirsty horde.

R_Squared 02-18-16 10:20 PM

I wouldnt remove any race, I would expand tau.
When they first appeared I thought that they had enormous potential for introducing a host of interesting minor races.
However GW has homogenised them into an anime bore fest. Release the fetters and give us some cool mercs and auxiliaries, hrud, anthrazods, formosians, gue'vesa (sic), thraxians etc etc.

As to orks not fitting, along with SM's they are the first and core race of 40k. Everything else came later, and they ain't stoopid, they're kunnin. Hell they can speak gothic well enough that a guardsman can understand it, and it's a completely alien language which doesn't fit their vocal range or physiology. That, and they come up with new tek all the time, without having to rely on STCs, and have the most fearsome force field, gravity manipulation and teleporta tek in 40k.
It's a matter of perspective, if all you see is dumb orks, you're not looking hard enough, and are about to have your home world krumped. ;-)

Tyriks 02-18-16 10:28 PM

It's not that I think Orks have too low of an IQ. It's that I think Orks are dumb. Their tech works because they believe it will work, not because they actually can build any of those things. Everything's name is the same bad joke. I like the race, I like their look (generally), just not the whole postmodern space caveman concept.

R_Squared 02-18-16 10:54 PM

Ork tek doesn't work because they believe it works, the telyporta tekk, skokk attack gun, telyporta blastas, lifta dropped, stompas, koptas, dakkajets, everything works poppa.
The meks have knowledge of tek hardwired into their genes, but they're also imaginative, kreative and kunnin. They build stuff that works, it's straightforward and robust, but it works.

If orks arent "grimdork" enough for you, what about tau, they're the furthest from grimdark you can get, same for eldar actually, and space marines? Have you seen the latest SW wolf gubbins? It's ridiculous and looks like some bastardised cross over between pokemon and xenonblade.
But you'd ban orks because they don't spell proppa?

Plus, of all races Orks are the only ones who actually revel, nay thrive, in the 40k universe. They live for war. Conflict and aggression fuels them, accelerates their reproduction, and technological advancement and gives them a reason to exist. Every other race is miserable, and on the back foot, except for Orks. Tyranids and Necrons don't count because the concept of happiness is irrelevant to them. In fact, because of the eternal state of war in the 40k universe, Orks are already living in their paradise. There's no ideal state of peace for them to live, no unobtainable end game, they're already where they want to be. Orks have already won.