Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Black Library Fiction (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/108-black-library-fiction/)
-   -   Wolf King (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/black-library-fiction/194674-wolf-king.html)

Kharn The Complainer 12-09-15 08:00 PM

I certainly enjoyed it. It ended well and helps explain why the Space Wolves never made it to Terra for the final battle.

Angel of Blood 12-09-15 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kharn The Complainer (Post 2261802)
I certainly enjoyed it. It ended well and helps explain why the Space Wolves never made it to Terra for the final battle.

Not it doesn't. This takes place before Vengeful Spirit, which shows Russ and the VIth to be on Terra.

Kharn The Complainer 12-09-15 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel of Blood (Post 2261826)
Not it doesn't. This takes place before Vengeful Spirit, which shows Russ and the VIth to be on Terra.

Lame.

MontytheMighty 12-09-15 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kharn The Complainer (Post 2261850)
Lame.

Yep...after the remnants of Russ' legion nearly get snuffed out at Alaxxes, Russ actually manages to get back to Terra. He than has the idea that only he can take Traitor Horus 1 on 1 and leaves Terra to bring the fight to Horus with his severely decimated legion

Roninman 12-10-15 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontytheMighty (Post 2261922)
Yep...after the remnants of Russ' legion nearly get snuffed out at Alaxxes, Russ actually manages to get back to Terra. He than has the idea that only he can take Traitor Horus 1 on 1 and leaves Terra to bring the fight to Horus with his severely decimated legion

This just gets better.. Is there some serious reason to write total garbage like that. Primarchs master strategists my ass. Ive played serious wargames 30 years and even i can think better than them. Sadly some authors dont seem very strategic on their writing.

Iron Circle 12-10-15 05:36 PM

To play the devil's advocate, why are we assuming that Russ's plan involves a pitched battle with SoH. It could be something akin to a commando raid to assassinate a particular target, it could be done right. But then SW aren't exactly the legion for this sort of job, its more in RG territory but they are in worse state than SW, so.

Anyway it could turn out to be good although I don't have much hope.

Kharn The Complainer 12-10-15 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontytheMighty (Post 2261922)

Yeah, I actually read that whole story and then completely forgot about it. :-\

Lord of Ruin 01-28-16 04:09 PM

This for me was probably the best Horus heresy novella BL have published, I mean Serpent beneath was really great! but Chris managed to really capture Russ well showing him in such a different light.

Also seeing the space wolves take such a kicking was refreshing to see and I'm a huge Vlka Fenryka fan!

The identity of the infiltrator, I honestly did not see that coming!

Euphrati 01-28-16 05:32 PM

Overall I really enjoyed the novella.

However there was one minor, passing detail that rubbed my fur the wrong way that I ended up chalking up to a slight shift in cannon from the 40k wolves physiology to the 30k wolves that are still evolving in the HH novels.