Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Black Library Fiction (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/108-black-library-fiction/)
-   -   Wolf King (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/black-library-fiction/194674-wolf-king.html)

Khorne's Fist 09-17-15 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontytheMighty (Post 2217842)
Some would say Fear to Tread is best book of the HH series?

Never saw a good word written about that book, either on here or anywhere else. Those "some" must live in a cave in the desert miles from an internet connection.

piemelke 09-17-15 11:58 AM

Quote:

almost as good as the dawn of war series

Lord of the Night 09-17-15 05:43 PM

151 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist (Post 2217882)
Never saw a good word written about that book, either on here or anywhere else. Those "some" must live in a cave in the desert miles from an internet connection.

I have written good words about that book here.

LotN

Brother Lucian 09-17-15 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Night (Post 2218138)

LotN

think you missed the link, LoTN.

Khorne's Fist 09-17-15 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Night (Post 2218138)

LotN

Really? I gave you more credit than that.

Lord of the Night 09-17-15 06:26 PM

151 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist (Post 2218162)
Really? I gave you more credit than that.

How condescending. Did I say the book was perfect? No. It isn't.

But there were a fair few good things to like about it. The depiction of Chaos for one was brilliant, the Red Angel was a great character and concept, Sanguinius' relationship to his Legion and his choice of how to deal with the Flaw was very interesting, Mkani Kano and Meros were memorable and likeable characters (particularly Kano as I always wondered how a Librarian would feel about being demoted back to foot soldier), and Sanguinius's confrontation with Ka'Bandha and Kyriss was epic.

That and unlike most here, I don't hate James Swallow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Lucian (Post 2218146)
think you missed the link, LoTN.

By here, I mean Heresy Online.

LotN

Duke_Leto 09-17-15 06:30 PM

Vengeful Spirit would have so much better (and a more appropriate length) had that whole silent war Garro sub plot simply been axed. It just didn't sit comfortably for me. How is it on the one hand nobody knows what is going on or where the traitors are or what worlds or armies have joined Horus etc and yet on the other hand Garro and his merry men seem to be able to travel around with impunity and make sure they are in the right place? Or did I miss the sensible explanation of that?

Captain_Loken 09-17-15 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Night (Post 2218178)
How condescending. Did I say the book was perfect? No. It isn't.

But there were a fair few good things to like about it. The depiction of Chaos for one was brilliant, the Red Angel was a great character and concept, Sanguinius' relationship to his Legion and his choice of how to deal with the Flaw was very interesting, Mkani Kano and Meros were memorable and likeable characters (particularly Kano as I always wondered how a Librarian would feel about being demoted back to foot soldier), and Sanguinius's confrontation with Ka'Bandha and Kyriss was epic.

That and unlike most here, I don't hate James Swallow.

By here, I mean Heresy Online.

LotN

I have to agree here.

Also, these 'most' that say that Vengeful Spirit is bad are quite interesting. I read your review of it, LotN and completely agree.

I understand some people not agreeing with people's reviews, but constantly saying 'most' people didn't like it kinda sounds ignorant. Everyone has their own opinions, so no one has the right to say 'they must be living in a cave no where near an internet connection'. You may feel that way and maybe a majority, but I'm sure there some intelligent people who like at least parts of the books in mention.

bobss 09-17-15 09:20 PM

I know this is off-topic, but... Fear to Tread may rightly have some redeeming qualities, but the bottom line in my opinion is that it wasn't ''good enough.'' Not by a considerable margin to be frankly honest.

If there are enough Fear to Tread supporters on this board I'd be happy to host a structured debate. It is definitely one of the most divisive novels of the Horus Heresy, especially now the Prospero Burns controversy has died down.

I understand the quality of literature is subjective and all that jazz, but I believe this novel can be slammed with crushing, almost irrefutable criticisms. And, hey, you never know, there may be some positives several of us have missed.

ckcrawford 09-17-15 11:50 PM

Quote:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/H2SuF9wxBjs/maxresdefault.jpg

Fear to Tread was undoubtedly and unbiasedly the most disappointing novel of the series. I feel the novel written about my legion was utter piece of shit, but I have to say, the plot and importance of the events in Fear to Tread were destroyed by shitty writing.