Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Television and Movies (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/174-television-movies/)
-   -   Fear the Walking Dead (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/television-movies/194282-fear-walking-dead.html)

Khorne's Fist 09-07-15 10:13 PM

Fear the Walking Dead

Who's watched it so far? I know it hasn't aired on this side of the Atlantic yet, but I have watched the first two episodes through alternative means, and have enjoyed it.

I know some people thought the first episode was boring, but I really liked the fact that we were seeing it all from the very start, and understood we had to see just how ordinary and mundane the characters were, setting it up for how they would react later on, without any of them being cops, or former soldiers, or crazy survivalists with an armoury in their basement. They are just a rather boring middle class family with all the baggage that many of us have dealt with in real life. Unless Travis does a Michelle Pfeiffer and goes all USMC on the zombies asses over the next couple of episodes.

The second episode really showed how quickly society can go tits up without people actually knowing why it's happening. I remember listening to a sociologist years ago saying that we are only two missed meals away from social breakdown, and this episode reflected that sentiment nicely.

Tawa 09-08-15 02:13 PM

Haven't watched any of it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Have to finish off Walking Dead yet though :)

ntaw 09-08-15 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawa (Post 2213322)
Have to finish off Walking Dead yet though

They're completely unrelated, so there's no worry of cross-contaminating plot lines (at this point, anyway. Who knows what the future holds).

I have been thoroughly enjoying it. Seeing people crowding around decrying police brutality made...a little too much sense for how it could get out of control almost instantly.

Tawa 09-08-15 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntaw (Post 2213362)
I have been thoroughly enjoying it. Seeing people crowding around decrying police brutality made...a little too much sense for how it could get out of control almost instantly.

Oh......?

ntaw 09-08-15 02:34 PM

I hesitate to extrapolate since I never know what people's scales for spoilers are.

If you like TWD (all of it, even the talking bits), you will enjoy Fear.

Khorne's Fist 09-08-15 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawa (Post 2213386)
Oh......?

Just imagine the Ferguson riots. With the odd zombie wandering around in the background.

Tawa 09-08-15 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist (Post 2213418)
Just imagine the Ferguson riots. With the odd zombie wandering around in the background.

Oh......! :shok:

ckcrawford 09-16-15 06:11 PM

I think the protesting thing is very interesting for the series. In fact, it seems like the biggest threat to the people right now is the people's inability to focus on the major issue (the infection) and all the anarchy thats been caused. It really shows how the infection could have jumped so rapidly.

I find the main characters a bit boring though and am more interested in the background plot. LOL. Which should be the main focus of the show but whatever.

ckcrawford 10-15-15 08:20 PM

Ending was eh... I guess its how much you think a government would do against its people at that stage.

Though I agree that governments can be sketchy it also depends on taxes and the population to actually be a government.

Like at the end where they are abandoning their California presence... I just felt that was unrealistic. Getting rid of potential trouble makers I could see. But essentially abandoning the entire southwest pacific just seemed unbelievable.

venomlust 10-16-15 03:37 PM

It was decent. I liked seeing the build-up, the reactions to seeing zombies for the first time and not really knowing wtf to do. I still think military dudes with modern weaponry who know they have to shoot zombies in the head would handle a reasonable amount of zombies very easily. A gigantic swarm situation obviously isn't the same thing, but I digress.

Now everything happened, and it's just another "let's survive the zombie apocalypse" story, which is pretty played out for me at this point. That being said, I'll still watch it, and the main series, and Z Nation because I started them so I gotta see them through!