Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Tactics (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/15-40k-tactics/)
-   -   Warboss equipment (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-tactics/19421-warboss-equipment.html)

soulstorm777 10-14-08 05:28 AM

Warboss equipment

Hi everybody i'm starting an ork army and i was wondering what weapons you should give your warboss for CC.And which ranged weapon?

Cole Deschain 10-14-08 05:31 AM

Power Klaw.

All other concerns are secondary.

Galahad 10-14-08 06:03 AM

This is not an army list. Moved to Tactics

Power Klaw is important. If you have the points, an Attack Squig is good, it'll give you an extra PK swing, since a second CCW won't help you. But it's expensive.

Also, since having a pistol won't make any difference with a PK, you may as well give him a shoota of some sort. A Kombi-scorcha is only 5 points and it gives him a one-shot heavy flamer. There's no reason not to take it. I don't like kombi-rokkit launchas. 1 shot weapon with low orky BS is not a good combo. TL shoota isn't a bad option, but really, the kombi-scorcha is about the best investment.

morfangdakka 10-14-08 06:15 AM

Warboss is designed for CC.

Pk is standard with an attack squig but in a pinch he gets the big choppa.

Ranged weapons for the warboss they make such things? I don't bother with any kind of ranged weapons on the boss since his speciality is CC.

DaemonsR'us 10-14-08 06:20 AM

I go with 'eavy armor cybork body pk attack squig and tl shoota, its done me good so far, but i also kit out a nob squad to go with him :laugh: choppa/sluggas with 'eavy armor painboy and cybork bodies for the squad, expensive squad, but damn their tough

Galahad 10-14-08 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morfangdakka (Post 208100)
Warboss is designed for CC.

Pk is standard with an attack squig but in a pinch he gets the big choppa.

Ranged weapons for the warboss they make such things? I don't bother with any kind of ranged weapons on the boss since his speciality is CC.

True, but think of it this way:
having a ranged weapon does absolutely nothing to hurt his CC ability. Neither Big Choppa or PK give bonus attacks for having a pistol, so there's absolutely no CC down side to having a shoota, the only issue is points cost.

Now, consider what a shoota (especially a kombi-scorcha) can *add* to CC

I always think of shooting before assaulting like having a bonus attack that strikes at I0. The more shots you can get off before your charge is the more damage you can do without them being able to retaliate...and with low orky initiative (or a PK dragging you down) being able to draw first blood is important for orks.

While the warboss isn't GOOD at shooting, his shooting doesn't HURT his assault at all. He has no access to Heavy or RF weapons, so shooting can only bolster his assault.

Now, what's the premier shooting weapon to give to an assault based unit? Flamers. Assault units love flamers. They're short ranged, and they can do a ton of damage before your guys even get into the mix.

So why on earth would you not buy a 5 point one-shot Heavy Flamer that doubles as an unlimited Assault 2 weapon? If you have the points, there's no reason not to get it. It only serves to bolster the assault capability of the warboss.

As for other equipment, I try not to load up too much. It you use him to hunt troops and break vehicles, givw him 'eavy armor. If you plan on putting him toe to toe with walkers and ICs, then you should take a cybork body to give him half a chance...but the warboss probably souldn;t be used against ICs because he;ll get cut down before he can swing.

Timesplitter 10-14-08 06:29 AM

I agree with everyone so far that a PK with a attack squig is the norm build. I also like putting 'Eavy Armour on mine. I'm torn though between the kombi flamer or the slugga. The only reason I even consider the pistol is then against very light armoured units you can take advantage of the Warbosses 4(5 on charge) initiative. Only unfortunate thing is that you wont gain the +1 atk that pistols give due to those power weapon special rules :angry:

Spot The Grot 10-14-08 06:43 AM

well yer a slugga would helpg ive you loads of attacks on a basic warboss with a atack squig casue thats 7 S6 on the charge but especialy due to the being re-released you may find yourself playing marines a lot so you will want to mass out for power weapons orks only option --Power Klaws !

Timesplitter 10-14-08 06:53 AM

Just so there is no confusion on my satement, the PK is always a must, the 2ndary weapon I'd pick would either be the slugga or kombi-flamer. atm I'd take flamer only since I will be playing against a Tyranid army often

gair 10-14-08 11:58 AM

ok powerclaw is only good if you give him mega armour
persoinaly the best options are a warbike big choppa sluga bionik body boss pole and that will use his higher initiative to its best of abbilitys it might not ignore armour but thats why you give him a nob sqaud with a powerclaw in there

that is the best option.

on charge strenght 8 initiative 5 and 6 attacks not mentioning teh 4+ armour and 5+ invulnerable and a constant coversaveand teh extra movment