Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Wargaming News and 40k Rumors (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/34-wargaming-news-40k-rumors/)
-   -   Web Exculsive Skyhammer Annihilation Force (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/wargaming-news-40k-rumors/189426-web-exculsive-skyhammer-annihilation-force.html)

HokieHWT 06-13-15 03:07 PM

Web Exculsive Skyhammer Annihilation Force

http://elite40k.blogspot.fr/2015/06/...0%2C000%29&m=1

Is this just a straight money grab or what?!?

ntaw 06-13-15 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieHWT (Post 2156226)
Is this just a straight money grab or what?!?

Forever and always. I'm losing interest in keeping up with all these formations and special rules.

MidnightSun 06-13-15 07:21 PM

317 Attachment(s)
I don't see how this is a money grab - the 'save no money for a bunch of units' is nothing new or extortionate in itself...

The formation itself is fucking bonkers though. Pick 4 enemy units, force them to take Pinning on 3D6 and prevent them from firing Overwatch whether they pass or no? Yeah, Tau, you just got shut the fuck down.

Also, viable Assault Marines, natch.

EDIT: Holy fuck, those guys are 3rd Company! GW Ultramarines that aren't blue and gold!

Stormxlr 06-13-15 07:33 PM

http://elite40k.blogspot.fr/2015/06/...0%2C000%29&m=1
Quote:

Composition

The Skyhammer Annihilation Force comprises:

• Two Assault Squads with Jump Packs
  • Two Devastator Squads in Drop Pods
And no less than four special rules:
Shock Deployment: All units in a Skyhammer Annihilation Force start the game in Deep Strike Reserve. Instead of using the normal deployment and reserve rules for these units, you can, during deployment, choose whether this Formation will arrive during your first or second turn. The entire Skyhammer Annihilation Force automatically arrives on the turn you choose—no Reserve Rolls are required. Ignore this Formation's Drop Pods for the purposes of the Drop Pod Assault special rule.
First the Fire, then the Blade: On the turn they arrive from Deep Strike Reserve, the Devastator Squads in a Skyhammer Annihilation Force have the Relentless special rule and the Assault Squads can charge even though they arrived from Reserves that turn.
Suppressing Fusillade: A unit targeted by a Skyhammer Annihilation Force's Devastator Squad in the Shooting phase must take a Morale test at the end of the phase on 3D6, regardless of how many casualties were inflicted. If the test is failed, the enemy unit does not Fall Back, but must immediately Go to Ground. If the test is passed, the enemy unit is unable to fire Overwatch for the rest of the turn.
Leave No Survivors: Assault Squads in a Skyhammer Annihilation Force can use their Jump Packs in both the Movement phase and the Assault phase. If an Assault Squad from a Skyhammer Annihilation Force charges a unit that has Gone to Ground as a result of the Suppressing Fusillade special rule, that Assault Squad can reroll failed To Hit and To Wound rolls in the ensuring Assault phase.

Amazing rules, basically up to 4 squads (10/10 CS) all alpha strike with 2 pods,2DS and can shoot and charge with reroll to wound and hit. Chapter tactics apply.
How can I acquire this rules without buying another half a company... I just freaking bought 2 assault squads and 2 devastator squads and 2 tactical squads in FLGS .... Thanks GW.

MidnightSun 06-13-15 07:47 PM

317 Attachment(s)
It's the age of the internet, the rules are free and easily accessibly already.

ntaw 06-13-15 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidnightSun (Post 2156378)
I don't see how this is a money grab

Formations are small collections of models that GW gives swanky rules to in order to boost sales of potentially less competitive units and create a more fluff-oriented aspect to the game as far as I'm concerned. I like them, they're fun, but it can be a lot to keep up with. Here we see friggin' awesome rules for two recently released and expensive kits, which for those that only own part or none of it might be inspiration enough to get the rest. Lets call it more of a sales pitch than a money grab to avoid negative connotations maybe.

I don't mean to complain about it, but it is what it is. You and I, we live in the age of information where a little sheet of paper is easy to find and replicate with little to no fucks given. For a lot of other people though, they need that GW official print like they need anything else in this hobby.

Einherjar667 06-14-15 12:16 AM

Money grab? Hardly. Poorly executed promotion? yes.

To me, a money grab is more like: only releasing the codex with X, Y or Z, and jacking the price up. So "Hey, want the codex, well you need to pay for this that and the other as well". The codex is something that's high in demand, so that would be more opportunistic. these special rules that come with a bundle aren't that high in demand, so they're very "take it or leave it".

MidnightSun 06-14-15 12:27 AM

317 Attachment(s)
Basically, GW tries to get on board the Day 1 DLC train but forgot that the internet exists and unlike DLCs for computer games, it's comically easy for tabletop wargamers to simply find the rules online and apply them to things they already have.

venomlust 06-14-15 12:34 AM

Bah! Bah I say!

Vaz 06-14-15 02:03 AM