Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   How do the Adeptus Mechanicus (as individuals) gain their bionics? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/189082-how-do-adeptus-mechanicus-individuals-gain-their-bionics.html)

Grokfog 06-08-15 03:52 PM

How do the Adeptus Mechanicus (as individuals) gain their bionics?

This thought just struck me, how do they gain their implants?

Is it perhaps a case of buying them? Are there shops on Mars and other forgeworlds with signs touting two-for-one stomach implants and discount eyes? Is there a martian street vendor called Vivisect My Own Trachea Dibbletron4B wandering around with a tray of tin foil wrapped peglegs and VCR tape "Memory Units"?

Or do they get given them upon reaching a new level of understanding? "You have completed the Ancient and Holy Haynes Manuals primer, now come with us, we're going to implant a claw hammer in the bridge of your nose"

Or possibly, do they just build them themselves in their spare time between making lasgun power packs and get Bob the blind servitor to weld them on?

In all seriousness, I don't think I've ever seen it explained. We know they get them, and the more they get the higher ranked they must be, but I just don't remember the Mechanics (har har) of the process being explained.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

MidnightSun 06-08-15 05:07 PM

317 Attachment(s)
A combination between promotion (recieving augmentation from their superiors for good work) and personal self-experimentation (although they probably program servitors to actually attach something like a new arm). Tech-Priests' personal chambers tend to be as much workshop as lodgings, at least in Betrayer where a prominent Magos has his own personal foundry and a small army of servitors, so I imagine most of it is self-designed and self-implemented.

el_machinae 06-08-15 05:54 PM

That's my feeling too. At the lower levels, it's a reward. The MA is, in many ways, a mystery cult. And there are probably lots of diverging branches, since one piece of cybertech precludes others.

At higher levels, there's probably personal experimentation. The Magos engages in mix-n-match with various approved technologies. Though, even at the higher levels, status still seems to allow better upgrades.

scscofield 06-08-15 06:05 PM

Implant orgies

Tawa 06-08-15 07:10 PM

I've always seen it as the rewards for achieving understanding and performing your duties to the Omnissiah with skill and reliability. The more productive etc the further you are promoted to the more/better augmetics you receive. Hence, you understand more and are more productive etc etc.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by scscofield (Post 2152754)
Implant orgies

"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."

Vaz 06-08-15 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawa (Post 2152858)
"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."

"It won't fit"
"That's what they always say first time"

You should really play Borderlands series XD This is CL4PTR4P to a T.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Tawa 06-08-15 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaz (Post 2152874)
You should really play Borderlands series XD This is CL4PTR4P to a T.

Is that the one with the cartoony art? :)

Grokfog 06-09-15 01:29 AM

Yep, that's definitely CL4PTR4P. Seems I'll have to check out Betrayer :-)

Einherjar667 06-09-15 03:00 AM

Also, ritualism. The Skitarii have their legs removed to symbolize their pilgrimage across the dunes of Mars.

Creon 06-10-15 03:15 PM

Also, in Titanicus they describe adjusting to their jobs with various packages. So, if you're in a particular position in the hierarchy, you get a particular "base" package.