Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   When did You Stop Caring? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/187970-when-did-you-stop-caring.html)

CJay 05-21-15 09:29 PM

When did You Stop Caring?

At what point did you realize, you no longer cared about the 40k fluff??

This is more for the senior members, but I find that there is going to be a point in every fans life cycle where they just don't care about the fluff. We all still like 40k, but we no longer obsess about knowing every detail, or who could beat who, or even posting on a forum is too much work.

It's the nature of this fandom. There is nothing changing story wise, and even this forum, has the same posts today as it did when I signed up in 2010, just new authors.

So again when did you stop caring? Mine easily was after Know No Fear and First Heretic. I enjoyed the books and wanted to know more, but I stopped going to this forum heavily after those books. I found I didn't really care what others thought on this universe.

neferhet 05-21-15 10:25 PM

I stopped caring about wh40k fluff after necrons where retconned to use their former masters like pokemons into battle and where made cooperate in good faith with blood angels. The grimdark feeling just died there.
Also, the whole Tau turd that gw shove down our throat in a desperate attempt (at the time) to save a game from dying.

ntaw 05-21-15 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJay (Post 2138826)
I found I didn't really care what others thought on this universe.

This all day, every day. The butt-hurt on forums (this one included) regarding fluff is friggin' ridiculous.

Kreuger 05-22-15 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neferhet (Post 2138898)
I stopped caring about wh40k fluff after necrons ... [and]... the whole Tau turd...

Necrons and Tau. When they were added in 3rd ed I checked out. They were stupid then and are stupid now. Anime market grab and Egyptianate undead-bots (e.g. pseudo space tomb kings) were unnecessary and lazy additions to the game world.

hailene 05-22-15 12:41 AM

Haven't stopped caring about it after a decade of reading.

Information is power.

CJay 05-22-15 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailene (Post 2138978)
Haven't stopped caring about it after a decade of reading.

Information is power.

Information on a fictional universe is power....

hailene 05-22-15 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJay (Post 2139082)
Information on a fictional universe is power....

If you break any activity to its constituent parts it's going to look stupid.

I enjoy the WH40k universe. I read a lot about it. I think about it.

It's no worse than sports nerds that memorize player stats and who won which championship in X year. If you enjoy it, do it. If not, then not.

Kreuger 05-22-15 07:01 AM

I'm just not as invested as I was when I was a kid. I think the universe is still pretty cool, but there's this abstract concept of 40k that I have which the current publications don't quite reflect anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailene (Post 2139090)
...It's no worse than sports nerds that memorize player stats and who won which championship in X year. If you enjoy it, do it. If not, then not.

Absolutely true.

R_Squared 05-22-15 07:35 AM

Can take it or leave it. The fluff doesn't really matter to me, never has done. I barely even read the fluffy bits in the codex's.
I did read some of the HH novels, they hooked me back into 40k, but they got a bit boring after a while so I only read bits occasionally.

It isn't the most sophisticated Sc-Fi, there's much better out there, but it does satisfy my inner teenager when I get the urge to read it. It's full of unsophisticated heroes, and straightforward plot lines, like a Mills and Boon novel.

Nordicus 05-22-15 08:11 AM

Simply put; I never did. While I don't find all areas equally interesting, I thoroughly enjoy the fluff and the whole universe regarding 40k.