Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   Purge me of this Heresy brothers...... (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/186146-purge-me-heresy-brothers.html)

CJ95 04-29-15 01:03 AM

Purge me of this Heresy brothers......

So after reading and enjoying several imperial guard novels...(gunheads, deathworld, rebel winter, etc etc) I. Eagerly decided to dive into what everyone seems to be saying is the crown jewel of IG stories....the Gaunts Ghosts series.

Three fourths of the way through the first book I am hating it.

I find myself really despising Gaunt as a Mary Sue, and not really caring about his secret mission to recover the ...yawn...I don't even care what it was.....

Most of all I'm hating the stupid ass rivalry with the Jantine Patricians who are nothing more than 2 dimensional evil cutout evil-doers. Why are they feuding? It seems only because Gaunt is the good guy and therefore they hate him.

Oh and apparently IG regiments shooting each other is ok with high command. Yawn. No wonder we're losing this galaxy.

I really want to like this series....especially since I already bought the next three novels...but so far I'm not feeling it brothers. I find myself wanting to re read Rebel Winter and caring about the Vostroyan firstborn more than the boys from Tanith.

What do you say? Exterminatus?

neferhet 04-29-15 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ95 (Post 2119338)
everyone seems to be saying is the crown jewel of IG stories....the Gaunts Ghosts series

this everyone is a delusional everyone :grin:
The general level of GW stories is meh.
Gaunt Ghost is good. And that should give you an hint! I think however that the storyes are better in my memory than on the actual pages, i fear...

LazyG 04-29-15 09:44 AM

The first two are the weakest, especially the first one. Number two is a composite fo short stories which are ok but not jaw dropping.It gets really good in Necropolis. Builds an epic scope, new characters that make things more colourful and the darkness settles in better.

Doom wolf 04-29-15 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neferhet (Post 2119450)
The general level of GW stories is meh.

WHAT ? :angry:

HERESY !! BURN BURN BURN !!!:threaten:

Just kidding... :laugh:

Dan Abnett is one of the best, but that doesn't make it that good on all his novel. I suspect he accepted to work for GW mainly for the cashflow more than for the love of the hobby or the fluff.

He can be clumsy, tough beyond that, his writing quality his quite good. (He's a professional writer, after all.) but sometimes, he's strangely ripping off other's people work.

neferhet 04-29-15 01:15 PM

:laugh:

yes, i like dan abnett in comparison to others writers. Fact is, i struggled to end his novels and i normally leave unfinished all the others BL books. They just can't...it's a good read, when you are 15 or so. But after then, you just enjoy some sparse moment of good writing and the setting, most of all.

Tawa 04-29-15 01:46 PM

First & Only isn't all that bad.

Ghostmaker is all the original short stories bound together as "memories" to fill out what is a relatively short main story.

Now, Necropolis is where the fun begins! A full on Hive-War? Yes please! :good:

Doom wolf 04-29-15 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neferhet (Post 2119634)
:laugh:

yes, i like dan abnett in comparison to others writers. Fact is, i struggled to end his novels and i normally leave unfinished all the others BL books. They just can't...it's a good read, when you are 15 or so. But after then, you just enjoy some sparse moment of good writing and the setting, most of all.

Hey ! You want really bad novels ? Just try any random BL books, preferably by Swallows, or maybe Annandale or French on one of his bad days, then translate it, in french, by someone who doesn't talk french as his native language in the first place... :crazy:

After that, you will believe there's chaos gods out there ! :russianroulette:

That's THE reason why I started reading Horus Heresy in english... :grin:

neferhet 04-29-15 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doom wolf (Post 2120010)
Hey ! You want really bad novels ? Just try any random BL books, preferably by Swallows, or maybe Annandale or French on one of his bad days, then translate it, in french, by someone who doesn't talk french as his native language in the first place...

i guess it will be only half as painful as reading A SOng of FIre and Ice in italian... :biggrin:

MidnightSun 04-29-15 07:00 PM

317 Attachment(s)
Yeah, the first two books are a bit meh in my opinion - the real gold is The Saint story arc (books 4-8, I think), personally, although a couple of the later ones are equally as good (Traitor General and Only In Death are both very solid - very seldom I shed a tear over a book but the ending of Only in Death? Fuuuuuuck). If you think Gaunt's a Mary Sue in the first few, you'll probably like the later books more, especially Armour of Contempt (which has a bitching trial scene in it when Gaunt's put on trial for chaos corruption). Hell, he has some pretty major flaws in Honour Guard.

I still think Ciaphas Cain is the best IG series though.

Angel of Blood 04-29-15 08:12 PM

Yeah it definitely takes a significant increase in quality from Necropolis onwards. The Saint arc as other have said is probably the best, but the ones that come after are still very good.