Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   Guest Authors we'd like to see writing 40K or HH novels (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/182234-guest-authors-wed-like-see-writing-40k-hh-novels.html)

zerachiel76 03-12-15 08:16 PM

Guest Authors we'd like to see writing 40K or HH novels

With the sad passing of Terry Pratchett today I thought how much fun we'd have had if he'd have written a Pratchettesque 40K novel!!

Which other authors would you like to come and write in the 40K universe and to help things along these don't need to be still alive.

My authors would be:

J R R Tolkein - a master of Grimdark in the Silmarilion
Robert Jordan - his complex and convoluted plots and dark characters would fit well I think
George R R Martin - Game of Thrones is Grimdark in itself
Terry Pratchett - I think his chaotic characters would fit in a story in the Eye of Terror. Come to think of it Discworld could be in the Eye of Terror :)
Frank Herbert - his ability to write sagas crossing thousands of years could fit well into 40K
Joe Abercrombie - his First Law trilogy is very Grimdark

Khorne's Fist 03-14-15 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerachiel76 (Post 2066682)
J R R Tolkein - a master of Grimdark in the Silmarilion
Robert Jordan - his complex and convoluted plots and dark characters would fit well I think
George R R Martin - Game of Thrones is Grimdark in itself
Terry Pratchett - I think his chaotic characters would fit in a story in the Eye of Terror. Come to think of it Discworld could be in the Eye of Terror
Frank Herbert - his ability to write sagas crossing thousands of years could fit well into 40K
Joe Abercrombie - his First Law trilogy is very Grimdark

Unfortunately 4 of these are dead, and a 5th (Martin) might end up doing a Jordan and dying before he finishes the series. Abercrombie I could go with though, I really like his stuff.

Mark Lawrence is another one that does good anti-heroes and grim-dark settings.

Going off his debut novel, The Left Hand of God,, Paul Hoffman would also fit right in. Religious extremists butchering everything? He has that well handled.

Steven Erikson. The Malazan books. 'Nuff said.

If we're going to include those that have died, David Gemmell has to be in there as well.

zerachiel76 03-14-15 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist (Post 2068090)
Unfortunately 4 of these are dead, and a 5th (Martin) might end up doing a Jordan and dying before he finishes the series. Abercrombie I could go with though, I really like his stuff.

Mark Lawrence is another one that does good anti-heroes and grim-dark settings.

Going off his debut novel, The Left Hand of God,, Paul Hoffman would also fit right in. Religious extremists butchering everything? He has that well handled.

Steven Erikson. The Malazan books. 'Nuff said.

If we're going to include those that have died, David Gemmell has to be in there as well.

Phew, I was convinced no-one was going to offer any opinions! :grin:

Thanks and I totally agree with Steven Erikson and David Gemmell. I've not read any Mark Lawrence or Paul Hoffman, I'll have to check them out. :)

SoL Berzerker 03-15-15 12:07 AM

I would love to see Clive Barker write a horrific short story involving a daemon cult as they silently sacrifice hundreds of people in one night, and have it slowly grow into a massive slaughter as daemons get summoned.

Wouldn't be an epicly expansive story, but would still offer a grimdark look into how not even planets away from the main fighting are still never safe.

Khorne's Fist 03-15-15 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoL Berzerker (Post 2069170)
I would love to see Clive Barker write a horrific short story involving a daemon cult

Good call. He'd fit right in.

Uveron 03-15-15 04:56 PM

This is a Good Question.

Out side of the BL Authors I have 2 Authors that I go out of my way to read all there books.

Number 1, donst count any more. - Toby Frost He wrote the most extent Space Captain Smith books. And I was hopeing that he would one day make a slighty funny, stories about Orks and other 40K things... and then he did Straken... which is almost what I wanted

Number 2, - Ken MacLeod, Has done some of the most influential work in my life! I would love to see him work on some books based on the Unification wars, or even the time before that..

Tezdal 03-28-15 03:05 AM

Agreed about Frank Herbert, he'd fit right in with the grimdark.

Beaviz81 04-24-15 02:32 AM

Andy Horace and the lot writing Death Watch 2010.

Over Two Meters Tall! 04-24-15 05:19 PM

Granted, he couldn't write new materials, but the late great HP Lovecraft is essentially the basis for the Chaos Gods in description and function, including cultists and funky octopussy-head.

zerachiel76 04-27-15 07:52 PM

Great calls :)