Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Codex Harlequins (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/182226-codex-harlequins.html)

Orochi 03-12-15 06:09 PM

Codex Harlequins

Good evening, all.

I am curious to know what people think of the Codex, the units, the lore, everything.

Now the 'dex has been out for a couple of weeks, I am sure people have reached some form of conclusion.

Personally, whilst I cannot say I am disappointed with the codex, I am of the opinion that it is more a supplement book for both the Eldar races. Which isn't quite what I was hoping for.
A full army is possible, of course - but I see the formations more as extensions. A standalone Harlequin army would struggle to deal with certain things that are in the current meta... I can't quite understand why they couldn't have some form of AA version of the main vehicle, for example.

Your thoughts, people?

fatmantis 03-13-15 06:22 AM

i think that it is a perfect allied attachment more so for Dark eldar for the combo with the Raiders being better..

my only real issue is that once again Eldar have been given a rule set that breaks the mechanics of the game.

run shoot shoot run and now hit and run embark from combat.. i know maybe unlikely to happen but still why is it needed in the first place?

Stormxlr 03-13-15 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmantis (Post 2067018)
i think that it is a perfect allied attachment more so for Dark eldar for the combo with the Raiders being better..

my only real issue is that once again Eldar have been given a rule set that breaks the mechanics of the game.

run shoot shoot run and now hit and run embark from combat.. i know maybe unlikely to happen but still why is it needed in the first place?

I never liked that only Eldar can mess with standard organization of turns. While that can be argued as fluffy, it should have been dealt with in another way by simply allowing them to move longer distances,run 3+d6. .. well you get the idea.
Harlequins seem to be the glassiest of glass cannons. I had a skim of friends codex and there are good options but there doesn't seem to be any heavy support or expandable troops.
However the army can always burrow things from their Eldar kin so niches can be supplemented.
I would imagine the army runs like Deathwing, very elite, maybe not as expensive but has to be played with tactical precision of a surgeon with very small margin for error and bad dice.

bitsandkits 03-13-15 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmantis (Post 2067018)

you are forgetting the first rule of eldar, which is the rules dont apply to them because they are better than you

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

jams 03-13-15 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitsandkits (Post 2067314)
you are forgetting the first rule of eldar, which is the rules dont apply to them because they are better than you

qft

Zion 03-13-15 04:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nearly every army has a way to break some rules, the question is which rules do they break?

Xabre 03-14-15 12:45 AM

I like them for one reason: Faolchu's Blade.

More specifically, Skyweavers look great as CC bikes and I feel can compete or beat Shining Spears, and the Blade Formation lets me throw them in an Eldar bike list. Voidweavers even look pretty decent, as a superior (if maybe shorter range) Vyper. Don't hold a candle to Hornets, but that's FW for ya.

fatmantis 03-14-15 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zion (Post 2067458)
Nearly every army has a way to break some rules, the question is which rules do they break?

rules yes..but game mechanics? can any other army run and shoot? or embark in combat?
but yes you are right which rule to break

Zion 03-14-15 01:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmantis (Post 2068026)
rules yes..but game mechanics? can any other army run and shoot? or embark in combat?
but yes you are right which rule to break

Harlequins can only get the embark during with a formation, and only Craft World Eldar have the Battle Focus rule (a rule they quite frankly needed because as an army they weren't that impressive for a while, and it's a rule that's well balanced. Also Eldar used to be the only army that could run (original fleet), so breaking the shooting phase to be an army of fast, fragile models is their "thing").

darkreever 03-14-15 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmantis (Post 2068026)
can any other army run and shoot?

I believe one of the Militarum orders allows them to either shoot and then make a run move, or run and shoot.