Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Scenery & Basing (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/169-scenery-basing/)
-   -   Hmmmm basing with sand and THEN gluing the models on issues..... (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/scenery-basing/179402-hmmmm-basing-sand-then-gluing-models-issues.html)

Angel of Blood 02-05-15 12:46 PM

Hmmmm basing with sand and THEN gluing the models on issues.....

So more on my beggining of an army after much time away. Got the sand basing kit from GW, got my PVA, put a nice base of it on, tidied it up, cool. Now i've gone to glue my models legs to them.....and it's not really sticking all that well.....should i be using PVA instead of super glue? Spray the base to get the sand to stick together and bond a little better, or more superglue and leave for a lot longer?

SwedeMarine 02-05-15 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel of Blood (Post 2027706)
So more on my beggining of an army after much time away. Got the sand basing kit from GW, got my PVA, put a nice base of it on, tidied it up, cool. Now i've gone to glue my models legs to them.....and it's not really sticking all that well.....should i be using PVA instead of super glue? Spray the base to get the sand to stick together and bond a little better, or more superglue and leave for a lot longer?

Depending on the type of terrain i'm basing I usually glue my models to the base first then work on the coloring and base design. But inf i go the route you have i almost always use superglue. but i will also use my hobby drill to Pin the model to the base so i don't have to worry about it coming off as easily.

Ratvan 02-05-15 12:56 PM

Depending on base size I usually superglue some 1mm plasticard to the base where my models feet will go and fill the rest of the base with sand, rocks, twigs etc then glue the model to the plasticard once painted

Angel of Blood 02-05-15 12:58 PM

Dammit, wish I had thought of these before! Need to go out and get a hobby drill, pins and blue tack, as well as find me some plasticard.

SwedeMarine 02-05-15 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratvan (Post 2027738)
Depending on base size I usually superglue some 1mm plasticard to the base where my models feet will go and fill the rest of the base with sand, rocks, twigs etc then glue the model to the plasticard once painted

I actually have never thought of doing this until this very second. Thanks for that tip Ratvan

Angel of Blood 02-05-15 01:03 PM

For now, I've just carefully scraped away footprints into the sand and superglued away. Works for this time round.

ItsPug 02-05-15 02:36 PM

I use the "gel" type superglue to stick my models to the base if its already been completed, it gives a much better grip than the normal liquid types. so much so that if the model comes off the base it normally takes the sand with it.

Ratvan 02-05-15 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedeMarine (Post 2027762)
I actually have never thought of doing this until this very second. Thanks for that tip Ratvan

No bother at all, its a great way to use up small offcuts discovered by accident (got some stuck and a base and had to cut around the glue to save as much as possible)

Angel of Blood 02-05-15 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsPug (Post 2027930)
I use the "gel" type superglue to stick my models to the base if its already been completed, it gives a much better grip than the normal liquid types. so much so that if the model comes off the base it normally takes the sand with it.

Yeah that's pretty much how i've fixed it this time round. Pulled the legs back off and the sand came with it. Scraped a bit more off the base with a modeling tool, then superglued as normal. Having sprayed them as well, the paint does seem to have fixed the sand in place more. Almost painting time!

Tankworks 02-22-15 10:21 PM

I usually place my terrain bits, sand etc. on the base then place the figure on and into it and then drip liquid CA over it all. The glue seeps in and around everything and binds it all together. Modifications and painting can still be done after the initial mounting.