Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   4 Riptides in a 1K Tournament (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/175066-4-riptides-1k-tournament.html)

HokieHWT 12-14-14 11:25 PM

4 Riptides in a 1K Tournament

Played in the monthly 1K at my local store today and got tabled by someone playing 4 riptides in turn 6. I ran two Knights, one 5 man tac squad with a librarian and another in a drop pod with a multimelta. My opponent put one riptide, with 6 haywire shots plus D3 strength 8 shots in front of a knight and another, same layout jumped 24" behind another the same knight. I could only Ion Shield one side and so I was wiped out in one round, then he did the same thing to another knight after i defeated a riptide in CC (after 2 rounds really bad rolling on my part and great 3+ invuls on his part). The troops were wiped out shortly after.

Other than CC how do Knights deal with that many haywire shots? I know nothing of Tau but I want to buy the codex just to figure out what the hell they can take.

I was stunned, especially after tabling a Necron player in turn 3 my first game.

:cray:

Edit: Also I did not know that I can only snap shot my multimelta in the turn in arrives from a drop pod...

Vaz 12-15-14 12:13 AM

Haywire hard counters knights. Or indeed any expensive resilient heavy armour. In the day of Knights and LR spam, Lascannons and meltas just can't cut it unless there's Strength D in the picture.

Necrons 12" Haywire range is a bummer, but 5 Stormteks is what, 175pts for 20 shots? So similar deal should they go for that.

Only way to win that game is by not taking armour - and I'm trying to remember how much the cheapest Eldar Titan is. Failing that a Warhound with Twin Turbo Laser Destructors with Void Shields has like 14 effective HP to tank that many haywire shots.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

The Sturk 12-15-14 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieHWT (Post 1979714)
Played in the monthly 1K at my local store today and got tabled by someone playing 4 riptides in turn 6. I ran two Knights, one 5 man tac squad with a librarian and another in a drop pod with a multimelta. My opponent put one riptide, with 6 haywire shots plus D3 strength 8 shots in front of a knight and another, same layout jumped 24" behind another the same knight. I could only Ion Shield one side and so I was wiped out in one round, then he did the same thing to another knight after i defeated a riptide in CC (after 2 rounds really bad rolling on my part and great 3+ invuls on his part). The troops were wiped out shortly after.

Other than CC how do Knights deal with that many haywire shots? I know nothing of Tau but I want to buy the codex just to figure out what the hell they can take.

I was stunned, especially after tabling a Necron player in turn 3 my first game.

:cray:

Edit: Also I did not know that I can only snap shot my multimelta in the turn in arrives from a drop pod...

What kind of Riptides was he running? Because Riptides from the standard Tau codex do not have any haywire weaponry at all. I don't know if he was running a Forgeworld variant or from the Farsight Supplement, as I have none of those, perhaps someone who plays Tau more can inform me on this...

As for the Multi-melta, yes you would only be able to snap-fire it as Deepstriking counts as moving at-least combat speed for it's occupants, and since a Multi-Melta is a Heavy weapon, you'd have to not move to fire it normally.

@Vaz : 5 Storm-teks is 125 points. The only thing they lack is a reliable delivery service. So one could be replaced with a Harbinger of Despair with the Veil of Darkness for Deepstriking, or attach Obyron to the unit.

MidnightSun 12-15-14 06:44 AM

317 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sturk (Post 1979810)
What kind of Riptides was he running? Because Riptides from the standard Tau codex do not have any haywire weaponry at all. I don't know if he was running a Forgeworld variant or from the Farsight Supplement, as I have none of those, perhaps someone who plays Tau more can inform me on this...

As for the Multi-melta, yes you would only be able to snap-fire it as Deepstriking counts as moving at-least combat speed for it's occupants, and since a Multi-Melta is a Heavy weapon, you'd have to not move to fire it normally.

@Vaz : 5 Storm-teks is 125 points. The only thing they lack is a reliable delivery service. So one could be replaced with a Harbinger of Despair with the Veil of Darkness for Deepstriking, or attach Obyron to the unit.

It's a Y'vahra Pattern, from Forge World. Dedicated anti-tank version, which had insane experimental rules but was nerfed to hell in the actual release. It loses a lot of mobility in gaining the heavier guns though so I'm surprised to see one jumping around, I didn't think they could do that but I don't have the rules on hand.

Reliable delivery for Stormteks is a 100pt Night Scythe, I'm pretty sure the Court can bring one and it's probably the most reliable deep-field deployment you can find, especially as you get a 6" move to spread the Stormteks over two facings to avoid the Ion Shield for a couple of them.

neferhet 12-15-14 07:44 AM

Well, what could i say. you just got the hard counter to your hard conter...nothing else to add, i think.

Mossy Toes 12-15-14 08:46 AM

I was under the impression that the Y'vahra was still only Experimental--where have it's actual rules been released? I only see the link to the experimental ones down at the bottom of the page, there.

(and even if your meta allows Forge World, which is all well and good, I'm leery of the idea of allowing Experimental units in an organized tourney...)

neferhet 12-15-14 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mossy Toes (Post 1979954)
(and even if your meta allows Forge World, which is all well and good, I'm leery of the idea of allowing Experimental units in an organized tourney...)

Agreed and seconded

Pssyche 12-15-14 01:10 PM

Did your opponent have a copy of the Rules available for you to see?

The ones you are quoting bear no relation to the experimental ones currently downloadable from Forge World, and the XV-109 doesn't appear in the Taros Campaign re-release according to the picture of the Index Page that is on the Forge World Website.

Ryu_Niimura 12-15-14 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mossy Toes (Post 1979954)
I was under the impression that the Y'vahra was still only Experimental--where have it's actual rules been released? I only see the link to the experimental ones down at the bottom of the page, there.

^This

Sounds like you were outcheesed by a fellow cheese connaiseur:grin:

Jolnir 12-15-14 01:46 PM

He was running 4 Y'Vahra Riptides? Insane. Deep pockets.

Are there actual "official" rules for these out yet? As stated above, I don't see anything except the "experimental" set.