Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Modelling and Painting (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/27-modelling-painting/)
-   -   Blood Angels Rhino/Razor - Den of Imagination (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/modelling-painting/174642-blood-angels-rhino-razor-den-imagination.html)

Bania 12-09-14 11:58 AM

Blood Angels Rhino/Razor - Den of Imagination

jams 12-21-14 07:58 AM

that's really nice but spoilt by the overwhelming OSL which is a shame

Silens 12-21-14 10:32 AM

I disagree with Jams, I thought the OSL was fantastic and incredibly convincing. Are the banners custom decals or free-hand work?

Everything looks clean, crisp, and just all-round sexy.

ntaw 12-21-14 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silens (Post 1984146)
I thought the OSL was fantastic and incredibly convincing

Sure, but why doesn't the searchlight have the same effect as the headlights? It's obviously on and both sources have covered tops and open bottoms, leading to light going down onto the tank in the same way.

It's pedantic, but that's also the 'wrong' side of the turret mount for a Razorback. The vented side is used for the Predator kit and the hatched side is for the Razorback. Excessively pedantic really, but you never know who that's going to irk if the piece is for sale.

It's a tight paint job, that's for sure. The freehand is amazingly done but doesn't look as much a 'part' of the model. In other words, it's a bit too clean for my tastes.

Silens 12-21-14 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntaw (Post 1984314)
Sure, but why doesn't the searchlight have the same effect as the headlights? It's obviously on and both sources have covered tops and open bottoms, leading to light going down onto the tank in the same way.

It's pedantic, but that's also the 'wrong' side of the turret mount for a Razorback. The vented side is used for the Predator kit and the hatched side is for the Razorback. Excessively pedantic really, but you never know who that's going to irk if the piece is for sale.

It's a tight paint job, that's for sure. The freehand is amazingly done but doesn't look as much a 'part' of the model. In other words, it's a bit too clean for my tastes.

No idea. Maybe the searchlight isn't on full-power right now, but it's easier to keep them on a little bit for when you need them so you don't have to wait for them to warm-up. Maybe it is on but the beam is a lot more focused than the headlights and, IMO, it's raised up away from the chassis sufficiently anyways that I wouldn't expect to see any glow. Even if it's an oversight, that doesn't make the miniature not fantastic.

Just because it's up for sale that doesn't mean it has to be absolutely flawless. Have you seen the "Pro-painted... REALLY!?" thread in 40K General? Beautiful work like this is a breath of fresh air after the atrocities you see in that thread.

ntaw 12-21-14 06:19 PM

I agreed that the model was painted very well and I've seen the thread you speak of, but just because there's worse doesn't make me think the weathering on this tank syncs up with the pristine parts or that the OSL is 'incredibly convincing'.

Silens 12-21-14 07:39 PM

Honestly, I didn't even see the weathering until now, but I think it's tastefully minimalist.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree with the OSL. :)

My least favourite part is actually the freehand on the hatch. I feel the same way about all tanks which have intricate pictures on them like that, unless perhaps they're something super-duper spectacular (in terms on canon, not paint job) because it just seems nonsensical that the Blood Angels would go "You know what this tank needs? A portrait of one of our dudes on the top of the tank! To strike fear into the hearts of the enemy's aerial units!"

Just seems silly to me.

In regards to the OSL being realistic. I looked at it and thought "Damn, those are some bright lights!"

I believed, even if it were for only a moment, that they were real lights. They convinced me. :)

fatmantis 12-22-14 03:11 AM

or you can both put up a razor back equal to this and show us how it "should have been done"

ntaw 12-22-14 03:56 AM

Easy there tiger. No one is playing the comparison game, all we're doing is talking about how we like our OSL and weathering in a public forum about painting and modeling.

fatmantis 12-22-14 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntaw (Post 1984610)
Easy there tiger. No one is playing the comparison game, all we're doing is talking about how we like our OSL and weathering in a public forum about painting and modeling.

iknow...but as i said...show us your osl..so we can see what your talking about..