Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Black Library Fiction (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/108-black-library-fiction/)
-   -   Black Library Weekender III - 2014 (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/black-library-fiction/172034-black-library-weekender-iii-2014-a.html)

Death Nikorps 11-05-14 06:08 PM

Black Library Weekender III - 2014

Hi everyone,

I'll be there Saturday & Sunday, and like during The Horus Heresy Weekender in May I'll do a Live Tweet with pics, news, Q&A with authors.

So if you want to "live the weekender at home", just keep an eye here:

https://twitter.com/blacklibrarium

And if you have a question for an author or in general, you'll can tell me on Twitter and I'll do my best to ask to an author for you. Or if you want a pic in particular, or news about pre-release books, etc.

I'll be there for myself, for my website and for all the community. So, do not hesitate to contact me.

I hope you'll enjoy the LiveTweet and the Weekender.

See you there if you go. ;)

Malus Darkblade 11-05-14 06:17 PM

When you say I. Can you clarify?

:victory:

Lord of the Night 11-05-14 06:30 PM

151 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Death Nikorps (Post 1947298)
Or if you want a pic in particular, or news about pre-release books, etc.

I would definitely not mind a list of the pre-release books, so that I can see what's coming.

And if Laurie Goulding happens to be there, could you possibly ask him if we are still getting a Scythes of the Emperor Space Marines Battles novel??

LotN

Death Nikorps 11-05-14 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade (Post 1947306)
When you say I. Can you clarify?

:victory:

I = Me, myself, my person, my body.

Is that clear enough ? :)

Quote:

I would definitely not mind a list of the pre-release books, so that I can see what's coming.
Ok, but we already know this:

+ Alone, a Raven Guard audio by Joe Parrino.

And a few others non-announced... I hope BIG SUPRISES !

I'll take pictures if there is mentions of any new books inside pre-released books.

Quote:

And if Laurie Goulding happens to be there, could you possibly ask him if we are still getting a Scythes of the Emperor Space Marines Battles novel??
I already want to ask him about it. But I think there is no Scythes novel, not yet.

He said that a few days ago when Visions of War was announced:

"For everyone who was convinced I had a Scythes novel on the way... not quite yet."

:)

Anakwanar 11-05-14 08:42 PM

See you at Belfry Death Nikorps.
We could coop about author interviews - i would be looking for them myself

Lord of the Night 11-05-14 09:40 PM

151 Attachment(s)
Well then I guess that the key question I want answered is; are the Phoenix Lords truly getting their own series, and what number in the series is Maugan Ra's book going to be?? (Please be 2, please!) Oh and if there's any chance that in this series we'd see Karandras vs Drazhar??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death Nikorps (Post 1947346)
And a few others non-announced... I hope BIG SUPRISES !

Same here, it's those that I am interested in. But thanks for that list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death Nikorps (Post 1947346)
I already want to ask him about it. But I think there is no Scythes novel, not yet.

He said that a few days ago when Visions of War was announced:

"For everyone who was convinced I had a Scythes novel on the way... not quite yet."

Grrr, the following Chapters do not just deserve their own books, they have stories that are 1000x better than most of the stuff that happens to the First Founders;

Scythes of the Emperor
Lamenters
Mantis Warriors
Exorcists
Marines Errant
Sons of Antaeus
Flame Falcons
Relictors
Star Phantoms
Storm Wardens
Doom Eagles
Vorpal Swords
Raptors
Carcharodons
Knights of Blood

LotN

Death Nikorps 11-05-14 11:03 PM

Quote:

Well then I guess that the key question I want answered is; are the Phoenix Lords truly getting their own series, and what number in the series is Maugan Ra's book going to be?? (Please be 2, please!) Oh and if there's any chance that in this series we'd see Karandras vs Drazhar??
Yep you're right. I don't know much about Eldars, so I missed this. But know, thanks to the Lexicanum, I want to read this series !

I will talk about that with Gav Thorpe this weekend. :)

Malus Darkblade 11-05-14 11:27 PM

Oh I assumed you were an author

Death Nikorps 11-05-14 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade (Post 1947538)
Oh I assumed you were an author

Ah ah !

No, not yet. :laugh:

Kalamoj 11-06-14 01:21 PM

Great idea, subscribed.
I need my HH news.

Death Nikorps 11-06-14 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anakwanar (Post 1947394)
See you at Belfry Death Nikorps.
We could coop about author interviews - i would be looking for them myself

yeah sure, why not. I would like to interview Chris Wraight and gav Thorpe. Or anyone else... except guy Haley I've already did it in May (with David Annandale).

I've got a lot of questions for each authors... :)

Vaz 11-06-14 04:24 PM

Didn't Goto do a Mantis warriors novel, complete with its own Musou Mode soldiers?

I love GW novels like that. Not only do we have Super Saiyan Sigmar for Karl Franz with its own KameHameHa but dynasty warriors space marines. Brilliant.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Garviel loken. 11-07-14 05:46 PM

Could you ask dan if he will write about remus ventanus in the hh series again

Lord of the Night 11-08-14 08:51 AM

151 Attachment(s)
So thanks to Nikorp's very helpful feed we now know about four new releases;

Shield of Baal: Deathstorm by Joshua Reynolds - A Blood Angels novel, likely this will centre around the coming Shield of Baal Campaign that depicts the Angels fighting Hive Fleet Leviathan on their home soil.

The Seventh Serpent by Graham McNeill - A HH LE novella about the Alpha Legion, no clue what it's about but it's Alpha Legion so at least 92% chance it will be awesome.

Blood and Fire (Hardback) by Aaron Dembski-Bowden - FREAKING FINALLY! I was very annoyed when this was released only as a 20 along Helsreach and as an ebook. It's about time we got a proper novella release, I don't normally buy novellas as I find them price but when it has ADB's name on the cover, price becomes irrelevant.

Ahriman: Unchanged by John French - The final Ahriman novel. Really looking forward to this one, no doubts that it will be awesome.

LotN

Vaz 11-08-14 09:16 AM

Seventh Serpent? nonononononononononononononononononononononononono nononono

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Brother Lucian 11-08-14 09:40 AM

Third Ahriman book already? The second is not available yet.

Lord of the Night 11-08-14 10:05 AM

151 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Lucian (Post 1949842)
Third Ahriman book already? The second is not available yet.

It doesn't come out until 2015. We just know the name now.

Also we have two new Horus Heresy covers.

Horus Heresy: Deathfire by Nick Kyme;

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps6a226727.jpg

Horus Heresy: The Eagles Talon/Iron Corpses by David Annandale and John French;

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0684b456.jpg

Both awesome.

LotN

Angel of Blood 11-08-14 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Night (Post 1949898)
Horus Heresy: Deathfire by Nick Kyme;

Are the Salamanders normally associated with fire? Seems a bit out there.

Child-of-the-Emperor 11-08-14 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel of Blood (Post 1949922)

Kyme has gotta be taking the piss now. :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Night (Post 1949778)
The Seventh Serpent by Graham McNeill - A HH LE novella about the Alpha Legion, no clue what it's about but it's Alpha Legion so at least 92% chance it will be awesome.

But then it's by McNeill, so there's a fat chance it'll be shit.

forkmaster 11-08-14 11:26 AM

This were posted on FB so you can check out more closely what it will be about. It's most probably Shattered Legions Vs. Faceless Alpha Legion.

https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/...64&oe=54F4886A
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...0fe4dda8da1363

mal310 11-08-14 02:17 PM

So we have the following for HH:

yet another bloody limited to attending some event, overpriced, novella.

A Salamaderers, fire bla bla bla fire, furnace, bla bla bla, novel by Nick Kyme. 100 percent chance it will not be awesome.

And an audio set.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

forkmaster 11-08-14 04:55 PM

Something that will come in the future though.

Gav Thorpes will do some more with the DA on Caliban: https://twitter.com/blacklibrarium/s...05008616767488

Dan Abnett will do some more with the Lion post-Imperium Secundus: https://twitter.com/blacklibrarium/s...05324921815041

And we have some Blood Angels: https://twitter.com/LaurieGoulding/s...61541211492352

Lord of the Night 11-08-14 05:17 PM

151 Attachment(s)
And the best part of all;

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Librarium
Sword of Calth won't be written after Crimson King, replaced by... Battle for Macragge, a new SMB book. #W40K #BLWeekender

Finally. The Battle of Macragge, this book can't come soon enough.

LotN

MontytheMighty 11-08-14 05:48 PM

Wraight, Abnett, ADB, maybe John French...frankly I couldn't give two shites about the work of other BL authours

Kalamoj 11-09-14 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forkmaster (Post 1949962)
This were posted on FB so you can check out more closely what it will be about. It's most probably Shattered Legions Vs. Faceless Alpha Legion.

https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/...64&oe=54F4886A
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...0fe4dda8da1363

This should be included in the Legacies of Betrayal instead of BotS. Well at least it gives more depth to the title.

forkmaster 11-09-14 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalamoj (Post 1950898)
This should be included in the Legacies of Betrayal instead of BotS. Well at least it gives more depth to the title.

I would argue for that as well.

Phoebus 11-09-14 08:19 PM

Oh, hey, it's Sharrowkyn - I'm so glad he is making a reappearance. You really can't have too much of an individual who doesn't bring anything to the table in terms of development or depth, but simply happens to be the best at combat and stealth.

My overall thoughts:

I can't adequately express how much I loathe names like "DEATHFIRE".

So much of the old lore has been left by the wayside in the name of common sense, taste, better ideas, etc. Why the practice of throwing nouns together to come up with "intimidating" names hasn't been done away with (and the products of said practice with it) is beyond me.

That having been said...

1. More Lion El'Jonson* by Abnett? Yes please.

2. Alpha Legion versus Shattered Legions? It could be interesting, but it's tough for me to imagine a scenario wherein a Coalition of Legionaries Who Don't Like Each OtherTM are able to compete with a cohesive legion whose calling card is teamwork. But wait, what am I thinking? SHARROWKYN.

3. Angels of Caliban... All I can say is that Gav Thorpe hit most of the right notes with Master of Sanctity, but the audio dramas he's done for the Caliban plot thus far have not impressed me.

4. I'd much rather read The Crimson King instead of Battle for Macragge.

5. Based on what little information I've seen (a prequel to Battle of the Fang, which purports to explain why the Space Wolves were so read to go after Magnus) Hunt for Magnus is not going to be my cup of tea. I like Wraight's work, but I'd much rather see him tackle something other than Space Wolves.

6. I'm not that jazzed about Sanguinor.

7. As you may have guessed already, I'm not that jazzed about titles that include terms/titles/names like "DEATHSTORM".

* I'll commit Dark Angels Heresy with a capital "h" by calling for that surname to be erased by the annals of Warhammer 40k, as well. No one but an increasingly shrinking pool of people give a shit about a tenuous connection to a failed poet, but everyone today registers how uncomfortably bad it is to try to pass off "El'Jonson" as "Son Of the Forest In A Future Language."

Brother Lucian 11-09-14 08:59 PM

Humm, the main mountain on Nocturne that features heavilly in the Salamanders mythology is called Mount Deathfire.

One of the largest volcanic mountains on Nocturne is named Mount Deathfire. This is where the largest of the massive fire-resistant reptiles called salamanders who are common on Nocturne live, and they are known as the Firedrakes. They are huge, fire-breathing beasts, and one was killed each by the Emperor of Mankind and the Primarch Vulkan during the legendary contests held between the two ten millennia ago when the Emperor rediscovered his son.

And I vaguely recall something about the sallies burning their dead there, returning them to the mountain. Even their wargear got cooked.

Phoebus 11-09-14 09:05 PM

I know where DEATHFIRE comes from. :wink:

I'm just saying it's an awful name, and that Black Library (Games Workshop in general, really) should be better at naming things.

March of Time 11-09-14 09:25 PM

A space marine battle's novel by Ben Counter will be released early next year,its about the WORLD-ENGINE 😃

Lord of the Night 11-09-14 09:33 PM

151 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by March of Time (Post 1951186)
A space marine battle's novel by Ben Counter will be released early next year,its about the WORLD-ENGINE 😃

If you are playing around with us I will reach through the computer with the power of NerdRage and kill you. If your not playing around with us I will be forever grateful for some of the best news since we found out ADB decided to write a Black Legion seies.

A source would be appreciated.

LotN

March of Time 11-09-14 09:46 PM

Ben counter talked about it in the space marine battle's seminar!

Lord of the Night 11-09-14 09:51 PM

151 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by March of Time (Post 1951210)
Ben counter talked about it in the space marine battle's seminar!

Awesome!!! The World Engine has deserved a novel for years now, and it's about damn time. Counter's Chaos is always brilliant, I can't wait to see what his take on the Necrons (5-7th Edition) is like. :grin:

Thanks for sharing March of Time.

LotN

Garviel loken. 11-09-14 10:32 PM

it seems to me the event was pretty uneventful...not to many exciting announcements at all. We got what, one HH title confirmed?

Angel of Blood 11-09-14 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoebus (Post 1951162)
I know where DEATHFIRE comes from. :wink:

I'm just saying it's an awful name, and that Black Library (Games Workshop in general, really) should be better at naming things.

But....fire and burning and flames! They're Salamanders, hammers, anvils, people and shit. If you haven't got Flame Commander Fireson, leading Inferno Squad as part of Clan Blacksmith to bring the anvil to the heretics with righteous flame.....then you don't know how to write Salamanders.

After all, don't you know they like fire?

Phoebus 11-09-14 11:30 PM

Fair points!

You know, if I were an eccentric rich person, I'd commission a huge Salamanders army. I'd give them all ridiculous names, like Captain Anvilhammer, or Librarian Forgesweat*, and then I'd take them to major Games Workshop events. I'd make a point of announcing their names very loudly and deliberately. I'd try to make it as uncomfortable as possible for everyone around me, for the sake of increasing awareness.

I have this nagging fear, though: perhaps this would simply push them to even more ludicrous naming conventions?

* Or I might skip that trope altogether and simply name then "Noun-Noun", or "Noun-Adjective" or something. Maybe that would be an even more blunt way of getting my message across?

MontytheMighty 11-10-14 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel of Blood (Post 1949922)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel of Blood (Post 1951322)
But....fire and burning and flames! They're Salamanders, hammers, anvils, people and shit. If you haven't got Flame Commander Fireson, leading Inferno Squad as part of Clan Blacksmith to bring the anvil to the heretics with righteous flame.....then you don't know how to write Salamanders.

After all, don't you know they like fire?

Brilliant

Love that snark, hate that Kyme

Death Nikorps 11-11-14 06:17 PM

Hi everyone.

Here my full summary of the Weekender:

https://twitter.com/blacklibrarium/s...32972951650305

(too long to paste here)

You can click on the US/UK flag to translate into english.

Thanks everyone for the support on Twitter and here, I hope you enjoyed the Live, my pics and the news.

Lord of the Night 11-11-14 06:54 PM

151 Attachment(s)
Thanks to Death Nikorps for the info, I compiled this release list from it;

Horus Heresy
Deathfire by Nick Kyme (Salamanders) (Early 2015)
The Eagles Talon/Iron Corpses by David Annandale and John French (April 2015)
Raptor by Gav Thorpe (Raven Guard) (June 2015)
Angels of Caliban by Gav Thorpe (Dark Angels) (TBD)
Dreadwing by Dan Abnett (Dark Angels/Imperium Secundus) (Early 2016)
The Crimson King by Graham McNeill (April 2015)
The Herald of Sanguinius by Andy Smillie (Blood Angels/Imperium Secundus) (Audio) (Christmas 2015/2016??)
An Imperium Secundus Anthology including a story about the Night Lords of Death and Guy Haley in Defiance, one on what the Ultramarines and on Sanguinius and the Blood Angels (Smillie?).
Cybernetica by Rob Sanders (LE Novella) (Delayed)
Alpha Legion Short Stories by Chris Wraight
Second White Scars novel by Chris Wraight (2016?)
Master of Mankind by Aaron Dembski-Bowden (Cancelled) (NNNNOOOO!!!)
The Fall of the Death Guard is not part of the Arc Imperium Secundus.

Ahriman: Unchanged by John French (Late 2015)
The Battle for Macragge by Graham McNeill (SMB)
The World Engine by Ben Counter (Early 2015)
The Hunt for Magnus by Chris Wraight (1st Edition Novella) (SMB)
Shield of Baal: Deathstorm by Josh Reynolds (Soon)
Black Templars Series by Guy Haley (Trilogy or Long-running, unknown)
The Hand of Asurmen (Mid 2015)

Warhammer
The End Times 3 by Gav Thorpe (Elves)
The End Times 4 by Guy Haley (Orcs and Goblins/Dwarves)
Slayer by David Guymer (End Times)
Malus Darkblade: Deathblade (End Times)

LotN

Deus Mortis 11-11-14 07:03 PM

Wait, MoM got cancelled? Say it ain't so!