Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/29-off-topic/)
-   -   Florida to California - Any floors/sofas free? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/off-topic/170538-florida-california-any-floors-sofas-free.html)

Sethis 10-15-14 04:04 PM

Florida to California - Any floors/sofas free?

Hey folks,

I'm flying over to Florida in a few weeks time and backpacking west towards California, staying relatively close to the Mexican border states. I'm going to be spending a lot of time camping and hiking in National Parks and suchlike, and doing a fair amount of hitch hiking as well. I'm looking to keep expenses down, and was wondering if anyone could offer a place to crash in the November-Feb period anywhere along that kind of route? Particularly in/near Miami during the jetlag period to find my feet before I set off properly!

Cheers,

Sethis

The Son of Horus 10-15-14 06:30 PM

Hitchhiking is a really, really bad idea. Unless you like violent sodomy and having everything stolen from you. In that case, you should totally go for it. A bus ticket is pretty cheap and the odds of you becoming a piece of the human trafficking racket or having something put in your ass you don't want there go drastically down as opposed to walking along the highway with your thumb out. Incidentally, nobody without a deathwish or looking for some rough buttsex picks up hitchhikers because it's also well known that that's also a great way to get raped and/or murdered by a crazy person who happens to be hitchhiking.

ntaw 10-15-14 07:04 PM

Ever seen the movie "the Hitcher"? :laugh:

If you were backpacking across Canada I could help my friend.

Sethis 10-15-14 07:32 PM

Unfortunately it's that very perception that keeps people from the pleasure of European hitch hiking, where everyone is very nice and no-one actually gets raped and murdered. Pretty sure if I could be bothered to look up some stats then more people would die from falling off ladders than hitching.

I'll give it a go. I'm a fit man in my 20s who knows how to be careful, with enough money to not be desperate or have to take risks. If it turns out to be impossible to get lifts because people are scared of me then I'll consider the bus or train, it'll just mean less time in the country due to less money.

LordNecross 10-15-14 08:28 PM

You are better off on the bus. People aren't too super trusting in the states. Try not to become a statistic. Thats my only advice. Other wise you will have fun in the awesome beauty that is the U.S. Outdoors. I recommend places like the Grand Canyon, and other National parks. Painted Desert is also cool. But that's all Arizona. you'll have a long while before then if you are starting in florida.

Loki1416 10-16-14 12:55 AM

If you were coming through north Alabama, would certainly give you a place to lay your head. Hiking cross country is not something that I would do OR recommend, but if your going to do it, be smart and stay safe. Tryst your instincts, if it looks fishy, get the hell outa there.

Vaz 10-16-14 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntaw (Post 1926642)
Ever seen the movie "the Hitcher"? :laugh:

Eva Mendes is banging. Will Smith played a fucking ace long game with that one. After he took her to see her family records and she saw the "Butcher of Cadiz" I laughed.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

ntaw 10-16-14 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaz (Post 1927362)
Eva Mendes is banging. Will Smith played a fucking ace long game with that one. After he took her to see her family records and she saw the "Butcher of Cadiz" I laughed.

uh...what? Eva Mendes and Will Smith weren't in any of the Hitcher movies. This is the original, there's also a sequel and a remake.

EDIT: OH you're thinking of Hitch. Yeah, not the kind of movie I would bring up and doesn't connect to the topic at all.

Kreuger 10-16-14 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethis (Post 1926706)
Unfortunately it's that very perception that keeps people from the pleasure of European hitch hiking, where everyone is very nice and no-one actually gets raped and murdered. Pretty sure if I could be bothered to look up some stats then more people would die from falling off ladders than hitching.

Sorry Sethis,
I'm too far north. I'm in the Philadelphia area.

My recollections of the statistics and the anecdotal stories bare out your point. The United States isn't nearly as dangerous now as it was in years past. Despite the horrifying headlines our society has less violent crime per capita than we did 20 or 30 years ago. And while hitchhiking is outside of most American's accepted moreys it isn't nearly as dangerous as our society seems to believe. In most cases American's are decent people and will be more concerned for you, even if they are scared and won't pick you up.

But just to protect yourself, you should also avoid climbing on ladders while you're here. You wouldn't want to become a statistic!

Good luck and good journey!

P.s. Take lots of photos. It's a big diverse country with many landscapes and peoples. Start a Flickr account or the like and document the trip. And/or start a blog and we can follow your journey as you make your way.

Vaz 10-16-14 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntaw (Post 1927554)
uh...what? Eva Mendes and Will Smith weren't in any of the Hitcher movies. This is the original, there's also a sequel and a remake.

EDIT: OH you're thinking of Hitch. Yeah, not the kind of movie I would bring up and doesn't connect to the topic at all.

Hitch was the prequel.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3