Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Television and Movies (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/174-television-movies/)
-   -   Good Shows That Became Disappointing (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/television-movies/168026-good-shows-became-disappointing.html)

ckcrawford 09-18-14 01:39 PM

Good Shows That Became Disappointing

What are some shows you guys thought were really good and kind of just died out? Not just simply disappointing shows but shows where it was almost weird to hear their show couldn't run anymore or the owner just didn't have the energy. Probably won't get a reply for a while but oh well.

One show that I really wanted to continue was HBO's Rome. It was just so good, and the cast was probably the best cast in television ever. Apparently the show cost too much. But when seeing stuff like Spartacus on Starz and other stuff on HBO like Game of Thrones it just doesn't seem like thats true. Maybe I'm wrong, however Rome never had good special effects or battle scenes. Granted the customs were pretty good but I'm surprised no on sponsored it.

It was supposed to have a third season and then rumored after 2008 to maybe be making a movie... then completely vanished from history. Thats kind of sad.

BMS was another one, but to be fair, the shows seemed to be lagging, and I would say that the cast became worse after Shilo was arrested. From that point it just seemed like their were failed attempts to really fill that position.

Nacho libre 09-18-14 02:03 PM

Lost - started of well good but died after a few seasons.

Khorne's Fist 09-18-14 02:05 PM

I loved Rome. Pullo was a great character.

As for disappointing, Dexter has to be up there for me. It was one of my favourite shows, but it went on maybe two seasons too long, and when it did end it was shit.

I think Firefly will be on most peoples list of shows that were cut too soon. Dracula with Jonathon Rhys Myers was pretty good I thought, but that's been axed after a season as well.

iamtheeviltwin 09-18-14 03:49 PM

Firefly of course is one of the premier examples of good shows cut too short.

Supernatural is a great example of a show that had a great 5 season run to complete a long story-arc, but due to popularity kept going and is now 4-5 seasons too long.

Babylon 5 is also another series that should have just stopped once the main story arc was completed. The last season was trash.

As for more series I wish would have had more time.

Wonderfalls - a great slice of life/comedy series that had at least another season or two of content.

Better off Ted - one of the best comedies ever cut short after a season and a half.

Those are the ones off the top of my head.

Vaz 09-18-14 04:43 PM

The Unit. But that was because the storyline became utterwank after Season 3. Still, what did I expect with the guy who wrote "Inside Delta Force" being involved somewhere.

One I expected to, but didn't, was Sons of Anarchy - Kurt Sutter is an absolute legend of a writer, and got me into the Shield. I will be eagerly awaiting to see what it is he does next.

Breaking Bad - I thought it ended extremely weak. They should have sped up Season 4, and have it finish a few episodes after Gus Fring met his maker - the Neonazi's just didn't have the same sort of menace. I couldn't give a shit about Better Call Saul either. Breaking Bad at the end became in essence a victim of its own reputation - the first two series were utter shite, 3rd season gets better, 4th season drags on, with a couple of high points, and it is nowhere near as good as what people make it out to be. Enough people who I've recommended SOA or the Shield to after they've finished saying how good Breaking Bad is, have said they wished they'd seen it earlier, and have binge watched it - it's been one of the few series I've actually gone out and got the box set for. Didn't even do that for 24 - and the recent reboot of that is utter wank as well - Strike Back is far more interesting IMHO (here's hoping Sullivan Stapleton is back to being healthy again for the next installment).

And my all time favourite series - Blue mountain state - there should have been a 4th series, and I'm gutted it didn't get one. I seriously hope the rumoured movie goes ahead - Alan Richson is single handedly made watching the TMNT something on my bucket list. BROMIGO.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Brother Cato 09-19-14 11:35 AM

Hey, remember when Doctor Who used to be good, or at least watchable at worse? Let's just say the post Tennant seasons of the show while they had their bright spots were in every sense of the word terrible - Stephen Moffat, the scriptwriting becoming even worse and more hole ridden, plagiarism (some of which I'm surprised Games Workshop has not decided to sue with how blatant Nightmare in Steel was with the amount of cribbing), a new Mary Sue introduced every so often (River Song & Clara being the capital examples) and of course Stephen Moffat.

Peter Capeldi might turn out okay...but Moffat is still fronting the show. For those who don't know, Mr Moffat is basically to Doctor Who what Matt Ward and Robin Cruddance are to 40K.

Nordicus 09-19-14 11:50 AM

The prime show that comes to mind would have to be Prison Break. After they actually... you know, broke from prison it just spiraled down into a bad series with the premises gone.

Moriouce 09-19-14 11:57 AM

The Mentalist - they should have quite the show after Jane kills Red John. After that it is just same old same but FBI setting instead of CBI.

ckcrawford 09-20-14 04:24 AM

Dexter and Lost started off pretty spectacular and seemed to suffer from a painful disease to where you wanted to see more hoping it would get better, but it was just getting less exciting.

Khorne's Fist 09-20-14 01:21 PM

I recently rewatched The Sopranos with my wife, who had never seen the show previously. She enjoyed every minute of it, but her reaction to the closing scene in the last episode brought back to me just how unsatisfactory that ending was. She felt she'd wasted the previous 70 or so hours of a show with no proper conclusion, and while I don't agree it was a waste of time, I do agree the ending was shit. Like eating the nicest meal you ever had, but walking out of the restaurant starving.

ckcrawford 09-20-14 05:01 PM

Sopranos is definitely another one.

Firefly was okay. I enjoyed watching it because I couldn't find anything else to watch but it didn't seem to have a strong back ground of fluff like the Stargates or most other stuff on Sci Fi at the time. Even Farscape had more background than Firefly. I would say that Serenity was pretty awesome. If they had introduced more lore in the shows I think it could have continued. But to be fair, a lot of science fiction shows were being hit at that time.

bitsandkits 09-21-14 07:40 AM

Dexter, 24, lost,2 and a half men ( though you could argue it was shit to begin with but I liked it), heros, started really well with the save the cheerleader save the world arc, then the second season was rushed out and was poor, then got better but then got shit canned because the audience had left.
The most perfect tv series sofar has to be battle star galactica, 4 strong series and I finished it's story.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

ChaosRedCorsairLord 09-21-14 10:47 AM

Battlestar galactica. Seasons 1, 2, and the first half of season 3 are some of my favourite sci-fi to date. Season 4 is a complete mess, with the odd decent episode mixed in.

bitsandkits 09-22-14 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord (Post 1899897)
Battlestar galactica. Seasons 1, 2, and the first half of season 3 are some of my favourite sci-fi to date. Season 4 is a complete mess, with the odd decent episode mixed in.

I agree season 4 wasnt the strongest, but for me the fact the got to earth before the series was shit canned makes up for the fact it wasnt great, so many good shows get canned before they have had chance to mature simply because the networks have no confidence in them or the ratings didnt match expectations or some other equally bull shit reason.
I now actually check to see if a programme has been renewed or canned before I will start watching it, the number of times I have been burned by fox canning a good show half way through season one is staggering.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

ChaosRedCorsairLord 09-23-14 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitsandkits (Post 1901385)
I agree season 4 wasnt the strongest, but for me the fact the got to earth before the series was shit canned makes up for the fact it wasnt great, so many good shows get canned before they have had chance to mature simply because the networks have no confidence in them or the ratings didnt match expectations or some other equally bull shit reason.

Fair enough. Season 4 was still better than 99% of TV, however the overall story was just weak compared to seasons 1-3. Some of the individual episode plots were awesome (I loved the mutiny episodes), and the action scenes were still great, it was just the overall story arc/ending I hated.

I guess it was better than getting no ending though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitsandkits (Post 1901385)
I now actually check to see if a programme has been renewed or canned before I will start watching it, the number of times I have been burned by fox canning a good show half way through season one is staggering.

Don't worry, Rupert Murdoch is going to the special hell.

gen.ahab 09-23-14 04:18 AM

13 Attachment(s)
For me, Chuck. Now it might not have been the greatest show ever but I really enjoyed it. That being said the ending, and indeed most of the final season, really didn't hit him for me.

iamtheeviltwin 09-23-14 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gen.ahab (Post 1902049)
For me, Chuck. Now it might not have been the greatest show ever but I really enjoyed it. That being said the ending, and indeed most of the final season, really didn't hit him for me.

I forgot about Chuck...the first 2-3 seasons were great, but after the whole "Chuck 2.0" started the series went downhill pretty quickly.

gen.ahab 09-23-14 06:04 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamtheeviltwin (Post 1902721)
I forgot about Chuck...the first 2-3 seasons were great, but after the whole "Chuck 2.0" started the series went downhill pretty quickly.

That's true. Ruined the whole dynamic they'd been working with.

Stephen74 10-18-14 12:46 AM

The X-Files. Dragged on way to long.
Lost. Gave up watching long before the series finished.
18, err I mean 24. Same old same old right from the start.
Walking Dead - last season I was the watching dead.
Continuum - managed a couple of episodes of this season, meh.
Las Vegas - Should have ended with Big Ed.
V - should have ended after the first episode.

Loki1416 10-18-14 02:40 AM

Chuck- Really liked the show when it first came out. The girl I was just in love with from the first episode. And then she was on Dexter which just made it icing on the cake for me.
Spartacus- With the death of the origional actor, I really lost interest in the show.
Voyagers- Not sure if anyone remembers this show. It is what Quantum Leap (great show!) was based off of. The main actor died after the first season, so they didn't renew the show. Was really good though.
Lost- After about the 8th episode when they kept throwing hints out there but NEVER FETHING ANSWERING A SINGLE THING, I walked away.
Heros- See above.
Las Vegas- I agree, after Ed left, the show just went to crap
Air Wolf- That helicopter was pure badass! They got 2 or 3 seasons in and then the one guy went to prison for beating his wife. That just killed it right there, never renewed.

Kreuger 10-18-14 01:46 PM

Hmm.

X-Files for sure.

The Simpson's - it's still on and it's now sort of a parody of itself. There was a time in the 1990's/early 2000's when the Simpson's was an amazingly literate critique of American culture. It may have been the best show on American tv at one point.

Carnivale - one of HBO's early attempts at serious television. It was abruptly canceled after 2 seasons without any closure, just as things were really about to get going.

fotoshark 11-17-14 12:16 AM

Z Nation from the first episode and consistently plummeting into worse to the end lol

Squire 11-17-14 03:02 AM

I don't watch much TV and my two I came in here to mention have already been discussed- Lost and Doctor Who.

Lost... if only they didn't have any supernatural stuff going on. Some kind of secret conspiracy involving the scientists on the island would have been fine, but smoke monsters flying around and time traveling was just ludicrous.

With Doctor Who it fell apart after Tennant left, everyone knows that. The first couple of series of Smith I gave it a real go and didn't want to be one of those people complaining, but it was undeniably worse. From that point I started to find all of the characters irritating, the stories boring or too weird and usually when I've tried to watch it in the last couple of years I almost always end up doing this halfway through:

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-30826...f-Hul-Teya.gif

Bindi Baji 02-06-15 12:47 AM

Eureka - one of the few fluffy series I ever really liked,
when they decided to end it they utterly ballsed up the last series

Doctor Who - about 2 minutes after Tennant showed up, it gets worse as well

the_barwn 06-07-15 11:55 PM

Alcatraz- WTF this show should have been gold but axed after 1 season....

chuck- yes it kinda ended pretty weak & the chuck 2.0 they could have worked more with

The thing is sometimes they get everything right with a series & the 1 that springs to mind now is the following- damn they got that completely right with the entire time frame with it

R_Squared 06-08-15 12:23 AM

Red Dwarf.
Seasons 1-6 were great. Everything after that was just painful. Especially after they brought in Kochanski. It completely destroyed the whole program.

ckcrawford 06-08-15 07:05 AM

House of Cards kind of got lame. I just didn't feel the fire. I don't know what it is. I heard it was the same of the original.

venomlust 06-08-15 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreuger (Post 1929970)
The Simpsons - it's still on and it's now sort of a parody of itself. There was a time in the 1990's/early 2000's when the Simpson's was an amazingly literate critique of American culture. It may have been the best show on American tv at one point.

Yes. From my childhood, I remember the episode where Bart and Tony Hawk are flying in the air and fighting with skateboards as the moment they jumped the shark. I'll chuckle every now and then when watching a new episode, but they're so dumb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fotoshark (Post 1956986)
Z Nation from the first episode and consistently plummeting into worse to the end lol

Haha seriously! Those last few episodes smelled like a rotting zombie in the deep south.

venomlust 06-17-15 07:08 PM

I'm not really enjoying the third season of Hannibal. It's only 2 episodes in, but they're losing me.

ckcrawford 06-17-15 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venomlust (Post 2159610)
I'm not really enjoying the third season of Hannibal. It's only 2 episodes in, but they're losing me.

I agree. I actually have lost interest during second season. Will Graham is totally being portrayed in an extreme light of what is supposed to be his strengths. Do you think the show it trying too hard? Thats my feeling.

In someways I think the show has done a good job of showing some extreme murders and being morbid in that regard. However, it tried to do the same with the characters. Will Graham's portrayal just seemed very stupid. I got really tired of him not knowing what the hell was going on pretty fast.

I might watch third season but I shall see.

In my mind it just doesn't work that Will Graham know who the murder is. I mean... the beginning of Red Dragon clearly has a purpose. The series destroyed that purpose I feel because I think they realized the show was dragging. Its like.... do I like the beginning of Red Dragon or did I like the way Graham found out who the murder was?

If you think about it like that, the series is almost a complete failure.

venomlust 06-17-15 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckcrawford (Post 2159658)
I agree. I actually have lost interest during second season. Will Graham is totally being portrayed in an extreme light of what is supposed to be his strengths. Do you think the show it trying too hard? Thats my feeling.

In someways I think the show has done a good job of showing some extreme murders and being morbid in that regard. However, it tried to do the same with the characters. Will Graham's portrayal just seemed very stupid. I got really tired of him not knowing what the hell was going on pretty fast.

I might watch third season but I shall see.

In my mind it just doesn't work that Will Graham know who the murder is. I mean... the beginning of Red Dragon clearly has a purpose. The series destroyed that purpose I feel because I think they realized the show was dragging. Its like.... do I like the beginning of Red Dragon or did I like the way Graham found out who the murder was?

If you think about it like that, the series is almost a complete failure.

It's been years since I've seen Red Dragon. I honestly barely remember the premise of the film, let alone what happens.

As for the show, I think Will Graham isn't particularly interesting. His "power" is a little stupid and unrealistic. They may as well call him a psychic. Whereas Hannibal approaches crime investigation from a psychiatric/psychological perspective, Graham has much of that knowledge and yet isn't applying it. Instead he can magically recreate the crimes and that's just silly.

There are some shows that really shouldn't stretch out beyond a single season. The second season was quite a stretch, the 3rd has just become boring. They've exhausted the exciting aspects of the show. Grisly murders are cool and all, but not really a good basis for a show.

Lord of the Night 06-20-15 07:26 PM

151 Attachment(s)
Couldn't possibly disagree more, I think Hannibal is the best show on TV right now. But each to their own.

I can think of two shows that became disappointing for me after enough time;

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Too much teenage angst and uninteresting plots, at least to me, plus the departure of David Boreanaz after Season 3 made the seasons after that lose a lot of what made early Buffy so good.

Defiance - Really great start for this show but as it went on it got worse and worse with plots becoming nonsensical, characters becoming caricatures of their worst traits, and so on. Season 1 was great, Season 2 was disappointing and what i've read of Season 3 sounds abysmal.

LotN

ChaosRedCorsairLord 06-21-15 02:42 AM

It's far from being disappointing, but Game of Thrones has been declining a bit in my eyes over the past 2 seasons, especially season 5. It's just felt really rushed and some of the non-book plots are just so terribly written.

ckcrawford 10-15-15 09:25 PM

I am at the verge of putting "The Strain" on that list. I think it had a horrific attitude in terms of a show that really made its audience feel an apocalypse theme.

But I feel some of the characters are a bit silly. The main characters son of example is a moron. I hope he dies a painful horrible death for being an idiot.

Loli 10-16-15 07:58 AM

The Last Ship. I'm not sure if i should list this since the title of the thread is 'Good Shows that became disappoing' and while TLS wasn't good, i found it midly interestnig . Problem is the main premise got wrapped up towards the end of the first season, and the end of the first season changed the story complete. And then the ending of the first episode is entirly wrapped up with 2 episodes of the second season. The second season just seemed to be a mess, the idea that alot of America could be won over by a cult like that within such a short space of time seems insane to me. And the fact it has a 3rd season beggars belief.

Khorne's Fist 10-16-15 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loli (Post 2234234)
The Last Ship. I'm not sure if i should list this since the title of the thread is 'Good Shows that became disappoing' and while TLS wasn't good, i found it midly interestnig . Problem is the main premise got wrapped up towards the end of the first season, and the end of the first season changed the story complete. And then the ending of the first episode is entirly wrapped up with 2 episodes of the second season. The second season just seemed to be a mess, the idea that alot of America could be won over by a cult like that within such a short space of time seems insane to me. And the fact it has a 3rd season beggars belief.

I quite enjoyed The Last Ship. The fact that the country needs to be rebuilt from scratch means that there's a couple more seasons left in it yet, so long as viewer figures keep up.