Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Television and Movies (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/174-television-movies/)
-   -   Good Shows That Became Disappointing (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/television-movies/168026-good-shows-became-disappointing.html)

Kreuger 10-18-14 01:46 PM

Hmm.

X-Files for sure.

The Simpson's - it's still on and it's now sort of a parody of itself. There was a time in the 1990's/early 2000's when the Simpson's was an amazingly literate critique of American culture. It may have been the best show on American tv at one point.

Carnivale - one of HBO's early attempts at serious television. It was abruptly canceled after 2 seasons without any closure, just as things were really about to get going.

fotoshark 11-17-14 12:16 AM

Z Nation from the first episode and consistently plummeting into worse to the end lol

Squire 11-17-14 03:02 AM

I don't watch much TV and my two I came in here to mention have already been discussed- Lost and Doctor Who.

Lost... if only they didn't have any supernatural stuff going on. Some kind of secret conspiracy involving the scientists on the island would have been fine, but smoke monsters flying around and time traveling was just ludicrous.

With Doctor Who it fell apart after Tennant left, everyone knows that. The first couple of series of Smith I gave it a real go and didn't want to be one of those people complaining, but it was undeniably worse. From that point I started to find all of the characters irritating, the stories boring or too weird and usually when I've tried to watch it in the last couple of years I almost always end up doing this halfway through:

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-30826...f-Hul-Teya.gif

Bindi Baji 02-06-15 12:47 AM

Eureka - one of the few fluffy series I ever really liked,
when they decided to end it they utterly ballsed up the last series

Doctor Who - about 2 minutes after Tennant showed up, it gets worse as well

the_barwn 06-07-15 11:55 PM

Alcatraz- WTF this show should have been gold but axed after 1 season....

chuck- yes it kinda ended pretty weak & the chuck 2.0 they could have worked more with

The thing is sometimes they get everything right with a series & the 1 that springs to mind now is the following- damn they got that completely right with the entire time frame with it

R_Squared 06-08-15 12:23 AM

Red Dwarf.
Seasons 1-6 were great. Everything after that was just painful. Especially after they brought in Kochanski. It completely destroyed the whole program.

ckcrawford 06-08-15 07:05 AM

House of Cards kind of got lame. I just didn't feel the fire. I don't know what it is. I heard it was the same of the original.

venomlust 06-08-15 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreuger (Post 1929970)
The Simpsons - it's still on and it's now sort of a parody of itself. There was a time in the 1990's/early 2000's when the Simpson's was an amazingly literate critique of American culture. It may have been the best show on American tv at one point.

Yes. From my childhood, I remember the episode where Bart and Tony Hawk are flying in the air and fighting with skateboards as the moment they jumped the shark. I'll chuckle every now and then when watching a new episode, but they're so dumb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fotoshark (Post 1956986)
Z Nation from the first episode and consistently plummeting into worse to the end lol

Haha seriously! Those last few episodes smelled like a rotting zombie in the deep south.

venomlust 06-17-15 07:08 PM

I'm not really enjoying the third season of Hannibal. It's only 2 episodes in, but they're losing me.

ckcrawford 06-17-15 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venomlust (Post 2159610)
I'm not really enjoying the third season of Hannibal. It's only 2 episodes in, but they're losing me.

I agree. I actually have lost interest during second season. Will Graham is totally being portrayed in an extreme light of what is supposed to be his strengths. Do you think the show it trying too hard? Thats my feeling.

In someways I think the show has done a good job of showing some extreme murders and being morbid in that regard. However, it tried to do the same with the characters. Will Graham's portrayal just seemed very stupid. I got really tired of him not knowing what the hell was going on pretty fast.

I might watch third season but I shall see.

In my mind it just doesn't work that Will Graham know who the murder is. I mean... the beginning of Red Dragon clearly has a purpose. The series destroyed that purpose I feel because I think they realized the show was dragging. Its like.... do I like the beginning of Red Dragon or did I like the way Graham found out who the murder was?

If you think about it like that, the series is almost a complete failure.